ADVERTISEMENT

Levi Haines- Franklin & Marshall Open

What the heck is going on with Verk?
How can he score pts now?
Probably the comp. He was 6-3 before the Open with generally middling scores again middling kids.
Close loss to Josh Heil was about the only noteworthy match

That physical beatdown he put on Cerniglia today was impressive, now picture him getting that one on one attention the starters get in preparation for the season and nationals.

If Levi doesn't grow out of 157 pounds, that is our 157 pounder next year and there will be many 157 pounders wanting to MFF out of matches.

Reactions: psudotedu
I love seeing Verk do well. Kid has an amazing story, walked on here to chase a dream (when he had full scholarships at a lot of other places), worked his ass off, was basically a punching bag on this board despite how much he goes through.

I can see him being a big time factor in freestyle. I think it suits him better since he's so good in scrambles where he can score without finishing a takedown. It's definitely necessary since folk definitely tests gas tanks more and he can't fix his no matter how much he wants to unfortunately. But he won a Cadet Gold Medal going 10-0 each match basically.

That physical beatdown he put on Cerniglia today was impressive, now picture him getting that one on one attention the starters get in preparation for the season and nationals.

If Levi doesn't grow out of 157 pounds, that is our 157 pounder next year and there will be many 157 pounders wanting to MFF out of matches.

I'm not ready to go there just yet. With Brady back, he is going to help the middleweights get a lot better this year. I think 149-165 will be very competitive next year.

I'm not ready to go there just yet. With Brady back, he is going to help the middleweights get a lot better this year. I think 149-165 will be very competitive next year.
Brady is only doing this in the Spring. He's returning to SDSU coaching next year.

EDIT: My bad, didn't see what you wrote. I'd be shocked if any of our current guys close a gap on Levi seeing how he's the baby in the group right now and he's majoring guys in a college tournament.

Here's the insane thing about Levi guys, he was Cadet eligible this year. He just entered the PSU room. I think he could climb a ladder peg board and he still might not touch his ceiling right now.
12.png

Levi looks awesome. I will echo the sentiment that his year off was the right move (for his future wrestling career) in that he has jumped levels. He will only continue to jump as is PSU and Cael's historical precedent. Looking forward to seeing more of his wrestling. Great stuff.

Good Lord let's hope not. With Bartlett at 141, 149 will be Van Ness (injury situation a question), 157 will be Levi (growth allowing) and 165 will be Alex.

Now if for some reason any of those three weight classes are internally competitive, that would be extremely disappointing. If Van Ness struggles against in house competition at 149 that only means that our top recruit at 149 will struggle to be competitive at 149 and has regressed.
Nobody currently at 157 beats Cernigila now, so that would be some horrible backwards development.
165, if Alex isn't beating Edsell by next year that means Alex is looking at being a NQ level type of recruit. Not likely.

Not really sure what you think having Brady in the room for the rest of this season is going to provide the kids in the room, other than a different training partner, that they are missing in their training now.

Good Lord let's hope not. With Bartlett at 141, 149 will be Van Ness (injury situation a question), 157 will be Levi (growth allowing) and 165 will be Alex.

Now if for some reason any of those three weight classes are internally competitive, that would be extremely disappointing. If Van Ness struggles against in house competition at 149 that only means that our top recruit at 149 will struggle to be competitive at 149 and has regressed.
Nobody currently at 157 beats Cernigila now, so that would be some horrible backwards development.
165, if Alex isn't beating Edsell by next year that means Alex is looking at being a NQ level type of recruit. Not likely.

Not really sure what you think having Brady in the room for the rest of this season is going to provide the kids in the room, other than a different training partner, that they are missing in their training now.
Not only another high-level training partner but also a D1 coach. I have to think he’s coaching D1 already for a reason and the traits that lead one to want to coach can only help his teammates.

Not only another high-level training partner but also a D1 coach. I have to think he’s coaching D1 already for a reason and the traits that lead one to want to coach can only help his teammates.
I hope like hell Brady shows and focuses on his goal, earning AA status. As far as world class instruction, that is pretty much covered.

Reactions: mcpat
I hope like hell Brady shows and focuses on his goal, earning AA status. As far as world class instruction, that is pretty much covered.
Casey and Jimmy have been around the block once or twice in that department

Levi has now dominated the 4 and 5 seeded guys as a HS senior. 4 seed was a grad transfer and the 5 a junior. He looks hella good.
“Hella good” you must be from the East Bay in Northern California. I’ve used that term since childhood….From the sounds of it, he is hella good!!!

“Hella good” you must be from the East Bay in Northern California. I’ve used that term since childhood….From the sounds of it, he is hella good!!!
I re-watched his matches. He feels like a predator from every position and ready to dish out some Zain pain. Forget the potential medical forfeits, how many 157 wrestlers will be thinking that 149 or 165 may be a safer weight next year?

Not really sure what you think having Brady in the room for the rest of this season is going to provide the kids in the room, other than a Wdifferent training partner, that they are missing in their training now.

You don't think DT and Ed helped make each other better? James English gave Taylor as much credit as he gave his coaches. You don't think Gilman has a had a hand in making RBY better, and visa versa. How about Nolf and Cenzo, Dean and Beard?

You know the adage, iron sharpens Iron. Is that just a cock-and-bull story? Right now there is no iron at the middleweights, Brady could potentially bring that.

With another year under his belt, Negron might well challenge anyone for the job. And yes, training partners do make a difference ... even with world-class coaches.

Reactions: hlstone
You don't think DT and Ed helped make each other better? James English gave Taylor as much credit as he gave his coaches. You don't think Gilman has a had a hand in making RBY better, and visa versa. How about Nolf and Cenzo, Dean and Beard?

You know the adage, iron sharpens Iron. Is that just a cock-and-bull story? Right now there is no iron at the middleweights, Brady could potentially bring that.

With another year under his belt, Negron might well challenge anyone for the job. And yes, training partners do make a difference ... even with world-class coaches.
Brady will be back in South Dakota in a few months.
Once you move past Van Ness, Haines and Facundo there is nobody in the 149 to 165 pound range in that room comparable to DT or Ruth, nor is there the next James English.

As I said, if Van Ness, Haines or Facundo is challenged next year by anybody currently in the room that is a very bad sign.

Didn’t Taylor Swift use “Hella Good Hair” as lyrics? She’s from Berks County.

ADVERTISEMENT