ADVERTISEMENT

Lets Talk Iowa Wrestling

Did anyone get a buck last week?
Shot this guy on November 10th here in Iowa (archery). Not a big guy. I am not a true trophy hunter however I usually let these guys walk as I would prefer a doe. Well I have some health issues and this guy walked out from under my tree and chased a doe 200 yards away. The doe wasn't interested. To my un-belief he turns around and walks back to me. 17 yard, quartering away shot... too much to resist.

vUbSb2.jpg

Last edited:
Shot this guy on November 10th here in Iowa (archery). Not a big guy. I am not a trophy hunter however I usually let these guys walk as I would prefer a doe. Well I have some health issues and this guy walked out from under my tree and chased a doe 200 yards away. The doe wasn't interested. To my un-belief he turns around and walks back to me. 17 yard, quartering away shot... too much to resist.

vUbSb2.jpg
Nice buck Doc. Mine was just a large 7. More importantly I am saddened by the seemingly decrease in the ruffed grouse population (for those that don't know, the Pa state bird!) even down here in the mountains of western Va. Thought the wet spring and summer would impact...

Shot this guy on November 10th here in Iowa (archery). Not a big guy. I am not a trophy hunter however I usually let these guys walk as I would prefer a doe. Well I have some health issues and this guy walked out from under my tree and chased a doe 200 yards away. The doe wasn't interested. To my un-belief he turns around and walks back to me. 17 yard, quartering away shot... too much to resist.

vUbSb2.jpg

Congrats! That is a nice one anywhere if you ask me and especially in my area. Here if you let them walk they are usually dead the next day. Keep shooting. That is my wrestling reference to keep this conversation pc.

Since they can NOT win on the mat they might just win the deer contest :) I happen to live in northeast Iowa and the deer hunting is..... let's say great. My archerybuck from 2017. Yes, I am that ugly :)
tp3Rsq.jpg

Now that is a buck. Good thing you didn't let him escape.

Reactions: Ranger Dan
Nice buck Doc. Mine was just a large 7. More importantly I am saddened by the seemingly decrease in the ruffed grouse population (for those that don't know, the Pa state bird!) even down here in the mountains of western Va. Thought the wet spring and summer would impact...
I read somewhere, PA Game News perhaps, that part of the grouse problem could be attributable to West Nile virus.

I am saddened by the lack of ring-neck pheasant. I spent many a Saturday walking my grandfathers farm with him and my dad. I remember one taking off literally under by Dad's foot, I think he almost soiled his pants!

of course we don't have the farm anymore. Took my son on a youth hunt a while back and every time we entered an area, someone pretty much came from the other direction, way too many people out. Scary and glad we didn't get shot, like a Iowa wrestler, to bring it back to wrestling.

How about we pivot and talk bandwagon wrestling attendance? One of the biggest jabs at PSU fans by Iowa fans is that we are johnny-come-lately's, only following the team when we started winning national championships.

I can personally remember attending a match against Cleveland State in 82 or 83 where Rec Hall was packed. Looking over the PSWC site, I see 7900 for Lehigh in 1967, 7700 for Lehigh in 1971, 11,200 for Iowa in 1996, 7400 for Navy in 1968, and as much as 7400 in attendance as far back as 1961.

Meanwhile, I found this in an Iowa match note publication, lauding Kurdelmeier and Gable's effect on the growth of Iowa wrestling:

"With Gable managing the wrestling room, Kurdelmeier was able to promote the sport. The combination eventually made Iowa wrestling a must-see event.

The Hawkeyes started winning, and within the first year 100 fans turned into thousands."

https://hawkeyesports.com/news/2014/11/28/Iowa_Wrestling_Built_by_Kurdelmeier.aspx

Discuss. HR resident's comments are welcome.

Since they can NOT win on the mat they might just win the deer contest :) I happen to live in northeast Iowa and the deer hunting is..... let's say great. My archerybuck from 2017. Yes, I am that ugly :)
tp3Rsq.jpg
Try growing more facial hair. A large beard can do wonders for even the ugliest of us. :) As a side note, you can always post pics of your wife along side you. Just trying to help.

Reactions: pointingdogsrule
Our teams hurt an it doesn't stop some of your members from trolling our board. So i will troll your board :)
Again you look like the team to beat.

Of course we are, and no one else is capable of doing so!!

Last edited:
How about we pivot and talk bandwagon wrestling attendance? One of the biggest jabs at PSU fans by Iowa fans is that we are johnny-come-lately's, only following the team when we started winning national championships.

I can personally remember attending a match against Cleveland State in 82 or 83 where Rec Hall was packed. Looking over the PSWC site, I see 7900 for Lehigh in 1967, 7700 for Lehigh in 1971, 11,200 for Iowa in 1996, 7400 for Navy in 1968, and as much as 7400 in attendance as far back as 1961.

Meanwhile, I found this in an Iowa match note publication, lauding Kurdelmeier and Gable's effect on the growth of Iowa wrestling:

"With Gable managing the wrestling room, Kurdelmeier was able to promote the sport. The combination eventually made Iowa wrestling a must-see event.

The Hawkeyes started winning, and within the first year 100 fans turned into thousands."

https://hawkeyesports.com/news/2014/11/28/Iowa_Wrestling_Built_by_Kurdelmeier.aspx

Discuss. HR resident's comments are welcome.
I recall the “Kirby Wood” Cleveland State dual, but the article I found online says attendance was 2,300. Wood was a 167 pounder wrestling up at HWT, and needed to keep it to a major for PSU to win the dual.

https://www.collegian.psu.edu/archives/article_09296ac6-34a8-5d87-9a8a-a897d4ffb947.html

I recall the “Kirby Wood” Cleveland State dual, but the article I found online says attendance was 2,300. Wood was a 167 pounder wrestling up at HWT, and needed to keep it to a major for PSU to win the dual.

https://www.collegian.psu.edu/archives/article_09296ac6-34a8-5d87-9a8a-a897d4ffb947.html
Not sure if this was the dual. Says 84. Thought it was 82 or 83, but could be wrong. Long time ago.

The crowd was rocking though. Not sure what Rec Hall held back then. Certainly seemed pretty full. And loud.

Irregardless, 2300 for Cleveland State would probably mean top 5 type attendance at a minimum. And quite a few more than 100s.

I read somewhere, PA Game News perhaps, that part of the grouse problem could be attributable to West Nile virus.
yep, some good stuff coming out of the game commission on this topic. However with grouse, it just doesn't get the attention compared to turkey and deer management... We can all relate, not that lucrative of game!

The PA Game commission says that West Nile is the big issue with ruffed grouse.

The Avian flu has a lot to do with that. And due to multiple reasons (white noise being one) the bat population is way down. One small brown bat can eat up to 1,000 skeeters in an hour or so. Skeeters are a main carrier of Avian flu.

Not sure if this was the dual. Says 84. Thought it was 82 or 83, but could be wrong. Long time ago.

The crowd was rocking though. Not sure what Rec Hall held back then. Certainly seemed pretty full. And loud.

Irregardless, 2300 for Cleveland State would probably mean top 5 type attendance at a minimum. And quite a few more than 100s.
Wrestling fans here love the freestyle discipline as well. When the Olympic Trials came to Iowa City in 2012, more than 50,000 attended over the course of two days. When the trials were in Las Vegas back in 2008, the total attendance was 22,642 over three days.

As such, the trials returned in 2016, where the turnout was equally as strong. A total of 44,254 showed up to watch wrestlers from all parts of the country punch their tickets to the Rio Olympics. Many of those same wrestlers were part of Team USA this weekend.

“It’s good to have everybody cheering for you,” said Jordan Burroughs, a 2012 Olympic gold medalist and four-time Senior world champion. “I was telling a lot of people this past week — when I wrestle here at the Olympic Trials, it’s amazing. The stadium is packed, there’s 12,000 people here, but the only people that are rooting for me have Burroughs as their last name.

“It’s insane. I’m a Husker fan, not a Hawkeye fan, but I love it here. The atmosphere is amazing. This is the mecca of wrestling. Thomas Gilman is my teammate. I got a chance to spend time at Dan Gable’s house. I sat in the sauna with Tom and Terry Brands. Royce Alger is roaming the hallways telling bad jokes. It’s been an amazing week.”

Wrestling fans here love the freestyle discipline as well. When the Olympic Trials came to Iowa City in 2012, more than 50,000 attended over the course of two days. When the trials were in Las Vegas back in 2008, the total attendance was 22,642 over three days.

As such, the trials returned in 2016, where the turnout was equally as strong. A total of 44,254 showed up to watch wrestlers from all parts of the country punch their tickets to the Rio Olympics. Many of those same wrestlers were part of Team USA this weekend.

“It’s good to have everybody cheering for you,” said Jordan Burroughs, a 2012 Olympic gold medalist and four-time Senior world champion. “I was telling a lot of people this past week — when I wrestle here at the Olympic Trials, it’s amazing. The stadium is packed, there’s 12,000 people here, but the only people that are rooting for me have Burroughs as their last name.

“It’s insane. I’m a Husker fan, not a Hawkeye fan, but I love it here. The atmosphere is amazing. This is the mecca of wrestling. Thomas Gilman is my teammate. I got a chance to spend time at Dan Gable’s house. I sat in the sauna with Tom and Terry Brands. Royce Alger is roaming the hallways telling bad jokes. It’s been an amazing week.”
Iowan's love our wrestling. As a a state with only 3 million people we certainly do our part to keep the sport alive. No denying that

Iowa fans support their wrestling no doubt. In full force since 1972.

Iowa fans support their wrestling no doubt. In full force since 1972.
I was speaking on behalf of wrestling fans in general from the state of Iowa. If you want a good historical reference study Frank Gotch. One of the best wrestlers to ever live. Truly ahead of his time. Big fan of that guy

I was speaking on behalf of wrestling fans in general from the state of Iowa. If you want a good historical reference study Frank Gotch. One of the best wrestlers to ever live. Truly ahead of his time. Big fan of that guy
Good recommendation. I would agree that Iowa wrestling fans are among the best in the nation and have been for some time.

That's not that hard to say, is it?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT