ADVERTISEMENT

Let's fight over this! America's BEST BBQ is: (See if ya agree)

Good point. Judging BBQ is subjective to each individual palate. If I read correctly this was based on the volume of reviews and quantity and quality of said reviews. That is sort of slanting the playing field to bigger towns and venues from the start. I live in Alabama and love BBQ- and am partial to Dreamland's ribs. But I have been in some 'mom and pop' operations all over the southeastern US that were top notch. However there is no way that they are going to generate enough volume of reviews to make any list.

BBQ in Alabama is pretty good and consistent. Like I said, I like Dreamland. Also like Saw's in Birmingham and Big Bob Gibson's in north Alabama. But the best is usually made in someone's backyard with some good friends and some cold drinks.

Next time you are in NA, try Greenbriar's chicken/pulled pork, which I think is better than Big Bob's. They serve killer hush puppies as soon as you are seated and continue to keep the basket full.

Another place is Thomas Pit in Madison for ribs. Different style than Dreamland.

Watch out for the sauce in both those places though, it is vinegar & red pepper based and will light you up. It seems to be unique to NA, I always grab a quart when I'm up that way.

I realize a lot of the comments are based on where you live or what is close to you, but a discussion on the best BBQ that doesn't include NC BBQ is pretty short sighted.

I've never eaten BBQ in NC, but I've had in many places in SC. My son went to the Citadel, so of course, hit the BBQ places, as well as the Southern Comfort Food Places.

Pulled Pork is OK. I'd rather have Brisket over Pork anyday, and twice on Sunday. Just my taste. Back in the Lehigh Valley growing up, my Mom made Turkey BBQ (that is what she calls it). Basically a cooked and pulled turkey, and then served on a Hamburger roll.

Nitwit,

Me too, but a prime steak cut is far different than taking a crap piece of beef or pork and turning it into pure heaven. I do not associate grilling steaks as making BBQ. BBQ was the poor man's art of taking a poor cut and making it delicious and using the hole animal.

It really has increase the prices of those cuts though. Brisket and Skirt Steak (used in fajitas) were throw away meats, but the masses figured out a way to make them great. I was talking with a Vietnamese friend last week, and he told me that Ox Tails are now at $7.99 a pound (used to be almost free) because of the huge influx of Pho in Austin.

Again, I'll take a $100 steak from a top end place anytime, but $100 also buys me a families worth of awesome BBQ for the weekend, including all sides and beer
You make some good points. I was only expressing my taste preferences, and I don't much care for BBQ type sauces or seasonings much. I agree that the best chefs have a way of taking what used to be peasant foods and raising them to a new level. Some of my favorite items are liver, sweetbreads, skate wing, and mussels. BTW, I can pick up a pretty good sirloin strip at my local ACME for about $7-$8 and grill it with some local corn on the cob and serve it with sliced Jersey tomatoes with olive oil and fresh basil and have a hell of a feast. But everyone has their own likes and dislikes. I just think that all the "hype" over BBQ is unwarranted.

Reactions: CentexLion
Next time you are in NA, try Greenbriar's chicken/pulled pork, which I think is better than Big Bob's. They serve killer hush puppies as soon as you are seated and continue to keep the basket full.

Another place is Thomas Pit in Madison for ribs. Different style than Dreamland.

Watch out for the sauce in both those places though, it is vinegar & red pepper based and will light you up. It seems to be unique to NA, I always grab a quart when I'm up that way.

I will certainly keep those in mind next time up head up that way. Always appreciate recommendations from board members. And (almost) always willing to try something new!

If you are in South Central PA find the Rocky's BBQ truck, they visit our office once a week and have great brisket with a smoky flavor. The pulled pork is also delicious especially when topped with their home-made slaw. Sides include baked beans, loaded potato salad, slaw, and collard greens. Everything I've tried, including burnt ends over mac and cheese has been great.

As for steaks, get grass/vegetable fed organic and you'll never eat anything else. Grilled properly it melts in your mouth and is worth the extra cost.

Franklin BBQ at #9? Lowest ranking I have ever seen for his restaurant. I'm partial to Texas BBQ where the staples are brisket, ribs and sausage. It's known as the TX holy trinity. I've yet to have brisket on par with what Aaron Franklin churns out on a daily basis. I'd eat there a couple times a month if not for the daily 3-5 hour wait. Yes, every single day there is a wait that long and every single day they sell out of food.

Any BBQ fans on the board should come to the annual Texas Monthly BBQ festival in Austin. Texas Monthly magazine rounds up their top 25 restaurants and they all come to Austin for this event, it's fantastic. Austin is quickly (maybe already has) become the BBQ mecca of Texas.

Other notable TX BBQ:
La BBQ (Austin)
John Mueller Meat Co (Austin)
Louis Mueller BBQ (Taylor)
Snow's (Lexington)
Pecan Lodge (Dallas)
Hutchin's BBQ (McKinney)
Went to a place in Austin a few years ago that was adjacent to the W. Can't remember the name but it was quite good. Little out door seating area and live music on the top floor. You know it?

Went to a place in Austin a few years ago that was adjacent to the W. Can't remember the name but it was quite good. Little out door seating area and live music on the top floor. You know it?

That would be Lamberts Downtown BBQ. SW corner away from the W. Link below. If those pictures don't make you hungry, there is no help. I had to think a bit when you said BBQ, outdoor seating and Live Music. That describes 100 places in town

http://www.lambertsaustin.com/

That would be Lamberts Downtown BBQ. SW corner away from the W. Link below. If those pictures don't make you hungry, there is no help. I had to think a bit when you said BBQ, outdoor seating and Live Music. That describes 100 places in town

http://www.lambertsaustin.com/
That's it. As I was typing I knew I explained 5000 places but hoped the location would do it. Had a great lunch there, in fact, had some great dining experiences while there. It was a few years ago for their game against BYU.

Austin has developed into quite a foodie town over the years. I've never been to Lambert's strangely enough. It's not your typical BBQ place, it's more upscale. I've heard it's good though. They used to have an all you can eat brunch that people raved about. Since they moved to a conventional brunch menu it doesn't seem to be as popular.

Jacks Stacks in Kansas City has great BBQ.

Their "burnt ends) are great.
Last time I and a group of others were there, everything was just average. Burnt ends MAY be great but how do you think they have enough burnt ends for most of the customers in there? Answer is they don't but they let the customers think that they're getting real burnt ends but they're not. The ribs are nothing better than any of a dozen other places......

Last time I and a group of others were there, everything was just average. Burnt ends MAY be great but how do you think they have enough burnt ends for most of the customers in there? Answer is they don't but they let the customers think that they're getting real burnt ends but they're not. The ribs are nothing better than any of a dozen other places......

I've often wondered that myself. I've seen on some BBQ reality shows that some regions tend to sell a plate of burnt ends. You can only get a few real burnt ends off of a brisket, there's no way they could all be legit or they'd consume far too much brisket to serve them that way. I do love me some burnt ends though. The single best bite of meat I've ever had in my life was a burnt end from Franklin BBQ. Absolutely amazing. To steal a line from Seinfeld, you can't eat it standing up, it will make your knees buckle!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT