ADVERTISEMENT

Let's end the myth: Since 2010, Penn St. is 5-3 in 11am road start times...

That's not what I have. I have 3-5 --- actually it's even worse. 3-8!!!

2014 @ Illinois Loss
2013 @ Minnesota Loss
2012 @ Illinois Win
2010 @ Minnesota Win
2007 @ Illinois Loss
2006 @ Wisconsin Loss
2005 @ Northwestern Win
2003 @ Northwestern Loss
2003 @ Iowa Loss
2001 @ Iowa Loss
2000 @ Minnesota Loss

FWIW, the 2-January-2012 TicketCity Bowl was also a 11 AM local time kick. That was a train wreck.

Last edited:
That's right. 5-3 in conference, 11am early starts. So, allow the myth to end.
Look it up. Again, I am right.
I have no doubt you are correct. I also have no doubt none of those games were played against teams like OSU and Michigan. We need to do better.

That's not what I have. I have 3-5 --- actually it's even worse. 3-8!!!

2014 @ Illinois Loss
2013 @ Minnesota Loss
2012 @ Illinois Win
2010 @ Minnesota Win
2007 @ Illinois Loss
2006 @ Wisconsin Loss
2005 @ Northwestern Win
2003 @ Northwestern Loss
2003 @ Iowa Loss
2001 @ Iowa Loss
2000 @ Minnesota Loss
Well Count. I guess you both could be wrong. Guns stated, "Since 2010" and you went back to 2000.

Let's end the myth: Since 2010, Penn St. is 5-3 in 11am road start times...

Since 2010, according to your reckoning, it is 2-2. Maybe Guns meant 2000. Who knows? You two should have at it.

Well Count. I guess you both could be wrong. Guns stated, "Since 2010" and you went back to 2000. Since 2010, according to your reckoning, it is 2-2. Maybe Guns meant 2000. Who knows? You two should have at it.

Guns is probably counting games at Purdue and at Indiana --- which as of 2005 have been exclusively played on Eastern Time (prior to 2005, those schools would sometimes "switch time zones" because the state as a whole didn't recognize daylight savings time).

2006 and 2008 we played at Purdue at 12 ET --- both wins.
2007, 2011, 2013, and 2014 we played at Indiana at 12 ET --- win, win, loss, win.

Well Count. I guess you both could be wrong. Guns stated, "Since 2010" and you went back to 2000. Since 2010, according to your reckoning, it is 2-2. Maybe Guns meant 2000. Who knows? You two should have at it.
I suppose that could be fun......

Or, if not.......

How about someone ask:

If they are playing at 12 NOON Eastern (the time their bodies are set to) does it really matter.......would there be even a hint of reasonable causation.......if they are playing just to the east or just to west of the time zone line?

If they are playing at the exact same time....but one game is in Bloomington, and the other is in Evanston.....there is some causation difference?

LOL

Reactions: mn78psu83
I suppose that could be fun......

Or, if not.......

How about someone ask:

If they are playing at 12 NOON Eastern (the time their bodies are set to) does it really matter.......would there be even a hint of reasonable causation.......if they are playing just to the east or just to west of the time zone line?

If they are playing at the exact same time....but one game is in Bloomington, and the other is in Evanston.....there is some causation difference?

LOL
Can you imagine the back and forth possibilities? Ad infinitum. Who would win that war of attrition?

Guns is probably counting games at Purdue and at Indiana --- which as of 2005 have been exclusively played on Eastern Time (prior to 2005, those schools would sometimes "switch time zones" because the state as a whole didn't recognize daylight savings time).

2006 and 2008 we played at Purdue at 12 ET --- both wins.
2007, 2011, 2013, and 2014 we played at Indiana at 12 ET --- win, win, loss, win.
So what you're saying is he's right.

Jeez, your reading comprehension is bad. OP said 2010. Between this, your UCF reasoning and your other inaccuracies, sure does make us wonder what kind of head injury you suffered. :p

2-2 is accurate, which does make Guns once again inaccurate. And Guns, PSU only looked crisp in one of those games, IMO, so it's not a myth. They don't always lose in 11 a.m. starts, but they don't look very sharp in those games, and they typically play poorly in the 1st half.

So what you're saying is he's right.

Nope. I'm saying he's incorrect.

Per my numbers, Penn State football is:

2-2 since 2010 in conference games with an 11 AM local time kickoff. 2-3 if we include OOC games.

3-8* since 2000 in conference games with an 11 AM local time kickoff. 3-9 if we include OOC games.

* - even accounting for DST in Indiana, none of our 2000-2004 games in the Hoosier State had an 11 AM local kick.

It's not a myth because it's not just about the W-L record. Sure, we've won some of them, but it seems like for noon start road games we have started off putrid pretty much since joining the Big Ten.
Was it 97 or 98...a really decent PSU squad goes to play a really bad Indiana team and totally sleepwalks through the first half, only to be ignited to a great 2nd half by a great kickoff return by Kenny Watson.
Yeah, we win our share, but it's tough to argue our STARTS in noon road games have typically been sloooowwww.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT