ADVERTISEMENT

Lehigh over Cowboys

Pokes forfeited 133 -- flunked skin check.
Witcraft got hammered by Chandler Olson yesterday - may not have made a difference.

Early returns on pulling that RS don't look good. But it's a long season.

What really cost them was Gfeller and Smith not wrestling -- especially Gfeller, his backup lost 3-2.

Then again, if Gfeller had gone, we would not have seen the All-Time Oklahoma Name: Dusty Hone.

OTOH, Weiler getting pinned at the end, in a competitive match vs. Montalvo, swung the match the other way.

Last edited:
Reactions: dicemen99
141 - Pomrica (L) dec Hone 3-2, Lehigh 3-0
149 - Lewallen (O) dec Hoffman 4-0, 3-3
157 - Humphries (L) MD Sheets 16-2, Lehigh 7-3
165 - Wittlake (O) dec Meyer 3-2, 7-6
174 - Kutler (L) MD Shomers 20-6, 11-6
184 - Montalvo (O) F 6:26, 11-12
197 - Geer (O) MD Jakobsen 15-5, 11-16
285 - Wood (L) dec Harris 9-4, 14-16
125 - Piccininni (O) MD Paetzell 11-3, 14-20
133 - Farro (L) FFT, 20-20
Lehigh by criteria, 21-20

It was very strange. I thought OK State had other wrestlers available at 133. They definitely announced two guys at 133 and both were listed in the program.

Lehigh should have won without the criteria. Both Humphreys and Kutler could have easily teched their opponents but missed by a point because of their lack of urgency.

Weiler gassed BADLY at 184 (AA level). Jakobsen did at 197, albeit not as spectacularly as did Weiler. As a matter of fact, Wood gassed at 285 also and turned what should have been a major into a regular decision.

One of the oddest college duals I've ever attended.

PS - Wtf Wittlake? I saw Meyer at Lehigh's wrestleoffs and he did not impress at all.

Last edited:
It was very strange. I thought OK State had other wrestlers available at 133.
They have other wrestlers on the roster but it's hard to fault Smith for not traveling them. Fix shirting and Brock injured leaves 3 freshman 125s and 2 limited experience 133s.

The most experienced of those 5 guys got majored by a HS wrestler (Wyatt Henson) last week.

Reactions: Str8DBLz
It was very strange. I thought OK State had other wrestlers available at 133. They definitely announced two guys at 133 and both were listed in the program.

Lehigh should have won without the criteria. Both Humphreys and Kutler could have easily teched their opponents but missed by a point because of their lack of urgency.

Weiler gassed BADLY at 184 (AA level). Jakobsen did at 197, albeit not as spectacularly as did Weiler. As a matter of fact, Wood gassed at 285 also and turned what should have been a major into a regular decision.

One of the oddest college duals I've ever attended.

PS - Wtf Wittlake? I saw Meyer at Lehigh's wrestleoffs and he did not impress at all.
Oklahoma State guys not chasing as Legigh guys wrestled in reverse forced the Legigh kids to change their attacks. The strain of moving forward probably wore the poor kids out.

They have other wrestlers on the roster but it's hard to fault Smith for not traveling them. Fix shirting and Brock injured leaves 3 freshman 125s and 2 limited experience 133s.

The most experienced of those 5 guys got majored by a HS wrestler (Wyatt Henson) last week.

I edited my post. They definitely weighed in two guys who were listed in the program and introduced before the match.

I was at the match also. No urgency on either side, gassing, and not finishing... is what I saw. Not sure what happened to the other 133lber. OKS missed bonus by a mere point, several times ... iirc. We are blessed, and I am spoiled watching our boys grapple.

Reactions: diggerpup
I edited my post. They definitely weighed in two guys who were listed in the program and introduced before the match.
Good catch -- in which case, absolutely bizarre to not send one of them out to try to win the dual.

Since both Lehigh & OkieSt love to backup ....

....Off the whistle, do they start the action with both wrestlers having their backs to each other ?

Reactions: Ja1339 and nitlion6
OSU a little sluggish on two weigh ins and duals in 24 hours. Weird deal on the skin check. Instill passed and then was a late fail.

Wittlake beat the #10 guy the night before. You almost have to let Witcraft wrestle with all the lower weight talent coming 2020 and beyond.

OSU going to take their lumps before a serious run starting in 2021 Should be fun the next few years with PSU (not going anywhere) and the young talent at OSU, Iowa and OhSt.

Last edited:
OSU a little sluggish on two weigh ins and duals in 24 hours. Weird deal on the skin check. Instill passed and then was a late fail.

Wittlake beat the #10 guy the night before. You almost have to let Witcraft wrestle with all the lower weight talent coming 2020 and beyond.

OSU going to take their lumps before a serious run starting in 2020. Should be fun the next few years with PSU (not going anywhere) and the young talent at OSU, Iowa and OhSt.
Makes sense about Witcraft when you put it that way. He most likely has a narrow window with a shot at the lineup.

BTW, I'm guessing you meant OkSt will start contending in 2021, not 2020. This year's championship is 2020.

Reactions: osu2082
Not good when the coaches son - who’s already been catered to more than a few times - does something to have him collecting splinters when he could have helped his team.

Reactions: JCPSU73-77
I was at the match also. No urgency on either side, gassing, and not finishing... is what I saw. Not sure what happened to the other 133lber. OKS missed bonus by a mere point, several times ... iirc. We are blessed, and I am spoiled watching our boys grapple.

Agreed. But it was two Lehigh wrestlers (Humphreys and Kutler) who missed tech falls by a point.

Agreed. But it was two Lehigh wrestlers (Humphreys and Kutler) who missed tech falls by a point.
Especially Humphreys, up 12-1 after the first, ended 16-2.

We'd be hard pressed to find a Lion in the Cael Era who was up by 10+ after the first but did not get a TF or pin. Maybe someone made an aggressive mistake and gave up a score.

Reactions: diggerpup
Not good when the coaches son - who’s already been catered to more than a few times - does something to have him collecting splinters when he could have helped his team.
It sounds like missing classes AND being 8-9 lbs over. This was a pretty brutal post. Man, do I want Lee to get another shot at Gfeller.

SebastianHeisman Candidate
NewIt’s about time to cut Joe loose. He has been a net negative to the team due to his attitude and actions. He’d rather party and eat than train hard and go to class and he’s been a bad influence on others on the team. Let him learn a good life lesson. G could use a lesson himself. He tries way too hard to look cool. He already has a high stance but then he’ll do his stand up straight deal to cool breeze it and gets taken down fairly often when he relaxes and does that. Now he’s screwing up his weight or school. If you would have asked me what two would be having issues they would have easily been my guess.

56 Today at 3:41

It sounds like missing classes AND being 8-9 lbs over. This was a pretty brutal post. Man, do I want Lee to get another shot at Gfeller.

SebastianHeisman Candidate
NewIt’s about time to cut Joe loose. He has been a net negative to the team due to his attitude and actions. He’d rather party and eat than train hard and go to class and he’s been a bad influence on others on the team. Let him learn a good life lesson. G could use a lesson himself. He tries way too hard to look cool. He already has a high stance but then he’ll do his stand up straight deal to cool breeze it and gets taken down fairly often when he relaxes and does that. Now he’s screwing up his weight or school. If you would have asked me what two would be having issues they would have easily been my guess.

56 Today at 3:41
Wanting to eat is a net negative and bad attitude at OKST.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT