ADVERTISEMENT

Led Zeppelin. ..............Battle of Evermore (the most underappreciated Led Zeppelin song)

Michael.Felli

Mar 19, 2013
Stairway to Heaven, Kashmir, Bring it on Home etc get way too much air time.

Battle of Evermore is seriously one of their better artistic masterpieces.

Reactions: indynittany
A song they ripped off and claimed they wrote.

Led Zep - get the lead out and they ain't kidding.

Robert Plant = squirl voice with jock implants

N i t t a n y A m e r i c a

Reactions: TheGLOV

My favorite Led Zep songs are "Babe, I'm going to leave you", "Rock and Roll", "Since I've Been Lovin You", "Night Flight", "Livin Lovin Maid", "How Many More Times", and "Gallows Pole".

I actually think it's quite overrated. I don't consider it one of their better songs, and it also seems to be quite popular, at least among fans I have known. In fact, I think every song on Zeppelin IV (or Zoso or whatever it is called) has gotten a lot of acclaim and radio play.

Candy Store Rock is a great underrated gem. So are many other songs from Presence.

Reactions: mn78psu83
I actually think it's quite overrated. I don't consider it one of their better songs, and it also seems to be quite popular, at least among fans I have known. In fact, I think every song on Zeppelin IV (or Zoso or whatever it is called) has gotten a lot of acclaim and radio play.

Candy Store Rock is a great underrated gem. So are many other songs from Presence.
"Tea for One" and "Achilles Last Stand" are two of my favorite Zep tunes. "Achilles Last Stand" is Jimmy Pages' favorite Zep tune. I understand why. Epic.

Probably not in my top 5 Zeppelin songs, but pretty close. Heart does a nice version of this song.

love all these songs but my list of underappreciated Zep tunes is as follows:

Hey Hey What Can I Do
The Wanton Song
Bonzo's Montreaux
Walter's Walk
Four Sticks

btw Zep fans should check out Them Crooked Vultures, a brief super group of Dave Grohl, Josh Homme, and JPJ from a few years ago (never seen JPJ so animated!):

Zeppelin trivia: without looking it up, in what song did Plant sing " Squeeze my lemon til the juice runs down my leg"?

Reactions: simons96
Zeppelin trivia: without looking it up, in what song did Plant sing " Squeeze my lemon til the juice runs down my leg"?

uhhhh . . . The Lemon Song??

Here's an obscure one for you Zeppelin fans . . . what horror movie in the last 15 years features 3 tracks from the artist who TURNED DOWN Jimmy Page's offer to be the lead singer of the New Yardbirds, and instead directed him to Robert Plant?

uhhhh . . . The Lemon Song??

Here's an obscure one for you Zeppelin fans . . . what horror movie in the last 15 years features 3 tracks from the artist who TURNED DOWN Jimmy Page's offer to be the lead singer of the New Yardbirds, and instead directed him to Robert Plant?
The Devil's Rejects?

The Devil's Rejects?

BOOM! winner! Terry Reid was Page's first choice to be lead singer of the New yardbirds. Reid passed because he had already committed to touring with Cream. He suggested Robert Plant as a replacement.

Reid is featured on the soundtrack to The Devil's Rejects with the songs "To Be Treated Rite", "Seed of Memory", and "Brave Awakening"

Ya mean they didn't rip this off from another artist like the did so many other of their hits??

Led Zep rip-off artists is more like it!

Other masterpiece's?? Now that's funny! You should add that were made by OTHER artist's!! LOL!!!

simons96: I'll ask our guitar player but open G would make sense. The song is in g. I'm the bass player so I don't usually mess.with alternate tunings.

That's a good bar trivia question. Everyone thinks you're an idiot when you ask it.

He said open G but as I recall, the studio version might be different. I'll check later. I seem to remember he uses a drop tuning on the recording.

Ya mean they didn't rip this off from another artist like the did so many other of their hits??

Led Zep rip-off artists is more like it!

Other masterpiece's?? Now that's funny! You should add that were made by OTHER artist's!! LOL!!!

I guess I should have been listening to Joan Baez all these years.

Think of the notoriety Zeppelin gave these old blues guys. In the end, the Zeppelin interpretations are indeed very different from the originals.

simons96: I'll ask our guitar player but open G would make sense. The song is in g. I'm the bass player so I don't usually mess.with alternate tunings.

That's a good bar trivia question. Everyone thinks you're an idiot when you ask it.

I played drums for many years, but moved over to guitar because I love the instrument. TRB has some weird tuning, and some weird picking, but I could never quite mimic the genius Page lays down on that track.

I guess I should have been listening to Joan Baez all these years.

Think of the notoriety Zeppelin gave these old blues guys. In the end, the Zeppelin interpretations are indeed very different from the originals.

Zep gave them NO notoriety because they never gave them any original credit.

Only modern technology helped expose these rip-off artist's!!

Zep gave them NO notoriety because they never gave them any original credit.

Only modern technology helped expose these rip-off artist's!!

You're assuming those "original" versions in that youtube video are totally original? I doubt it, i'm sure they themselves were basing those melodies and lyrics off things that came before them too. It all goes back to the plantation if you want to go back that far. It's a tradition in blues and folk music. To call Zeppelin rip off artists is pretty ignorant imo. What Zeppelin did with the blues in creating their own unique sound was very original. And blues was only 1 style of many they made their own. C'mon, it's Led Zeppelin for crying out loud!

You're assuming those "original" versions in that youtube video are totally original? I doubt it, i'm sure they themselves were basing those melodies and lyrics off things that came before them too. It all goes back to the plantation if you want to go back that far. It's a tradition in blues and folk music. To call Zeppelin rip off artists is pretty ignorant imo. What Zeppelin did with the blues in creating their own unique sound was very original. And blues was only 1 style of many they made their own. C'mon, it's Led Zeppelin for crying out loud!

Jeannie, you raised some good points. However, I proved that some of Zeps songs were created by other artists and Zep (along with the courts) paid or ruled in favor of the original artists.

You doubt they are the original? Ok, prove it!!!

I think one song is an original from like 1956? Ok, so prove it was done earlier in time.

I'll wait.

No doubt, they created a distinct sound but with somebody else's music.

I don't think there are many recordings of slaves creating the first blues music as the invention of the phonograph was many years off. It's impossible to prove where exactly many of this stuff originates. The point is it's a tradition in folk and blues music to "borrow" lyrics and even melodies. In the era where record making became an art in and of itself, Zeppelin did things on the production and arrangement side of things that had never been done in quite the same way. To call Zeppelin "rip off" artists, you are totally discounting their genius at creating an overall sound that made their records sell in the millions for decades and inspire legions of musicians. Production, engineering and arranging are every bit as important if not more so than lyrics and melody when making recordings. Your examples don't take that into account.

ADVERTISEMENT