ADVERTISEMENT

LaVar on Fox Sports Radio this morning...

NealPaige

Dec 29, 2016
This morning, around 7:00 a.m.on the "Outkick The Coverage" radio show he's on every morning morning with Brady Quinn and Jonas Salk?

They got into the Franklin to USC rumors...and LaVar immediately moaned...(paraphrasing)

He said out of the gate, while he would be devastated to lose James Franklin, he would understand. Said that O'Brien high tailed it out of town cause he couldn't compete with the JoePa culture at Penn State. Propped up Franklin for taking the program over in its darkest days, and has returned it into national relevance. He called him the "light" of the program, and mentioned how much it meant to him how much Franklin involves the lettermen in the program. Mentioned how Franklin's personality would be a natural fit in LA. Also specifically mentioned Jay Paterno and Lubrano by name, for voting down the 40mill proposed budget increase for football facilities and administration of the program. He said that chump change would never be discussed at USC, basically rubber stamped.

He concluded by saying that State College is heaven on earth to him. Every time he gets off the plane that lands in State College, he walks down the steps and kisses the ground. He said his feet never touch the ground, he glides, until he has to get back on the plane to go home. Said he might not mean anything to anyone else in the world, but in State College, "I'm somethin".

So Brady Quinn said jokingly, "if Franklin takes the job, why don't you go get it?" LaVar said, "I just might, if you'll be my offensive coordinator".

Again, just paraphrasing, but I'm sure you can listen to the podcast. Riveting listening early this morning. Love LaVar, never have listened to him without him mentioning, "his Nittany Lions"...also predicted a PSU win this weekend, but the bigger issue is getting over the OSU hump.

This morning, around 7:00 a.m.on the "Outkick The Coverage" radio show he's on every morning morning with Brady Quinn and Jonas Salk?

They got into the Franklin to USC rumors...and LaVar immediately moaned...(paraphrasing)

He said out of the gate, while he would be devastated to lose James Franklin, he would understand. Said that O'Brien high tailed it out of town cause he couldn't compete with the JoePa culture at Penn State. Propped up Franklin for taking the program over in its darkest days, and has returned it into national relevance. He called him the "light" of the program, and mentioned how much it meant to him how much Franklin involves the lettermen in the program. Mentioned how Franklin's personality would be a natural fit in LA. Also specifically mentioned Jay Paterno and Lubrano by name, for voting down the 40mill proposed budget increase for football facilities and administration of the program. He said that chump change would never be discussed at USC, basically rubber stamped.

He concluded by saying that State College is heaven on earth to him. Every time he gets off the plane that lands in State College, he walks down the steps and kisses the ground. He said his feet never touch the ground, he glides, until he has to get back on the plane to go home. Said he might not mean anything to anyone else in the world, but in State College, "I'm somethin".

So Brady Quinn said jokingly, "if Franklin takes the job, why don't you go get it?" LaVar said, "I just might, if you'll be my offensive coordinator".

Again, just paraphrasing, but I'm sure you can listen to the podcast. Riveting listening early this morning. Love LaVar, never have listened to him without him mentioning, "his Nittany Lions"...also predicted a PSU win this weekend, but the bigger issue is getting over the OSU hump.

His Sandusky rant on The Fan in DC was legendary. Love Lavar.

it's interesting speculation but I'm not sure that Franklin would get the job even if he is interested.

it's interesting speculation but I'm not sure that Franklin would get the job even if he is interested.
Well he is underperforming at a MAC level program (if you listen to the media types), so why would they want him other than his charisma.

I tried to find audio - because it’s worth it - but this covers it pretty well. Arrington was LIT.
He appears to have turned on Joe......at that point. True? Why? Has he since clarified his stance? The attached article infers that he can't look at "people" no names,black shoes etc the same way......

Love lavar what a great rep for psu

• Angry
Reactions: psu1969a
Thanks for the summary, Neil. I've become a big fan of the Fox radio a.m. show. Lavar is great, and I think Brady does a good job too. By contrast - the latest incarnation of ESPN's morning show - which is about 85% Keyshawn - is an assault on the ears and the brain.

If Franklin ever leaves it will be because of the lack of support needed to fund an elite program.

He appears to have turned on Joe......at that point. True? Why? Has he since clarified his stance? The attached article infers that he can't look at "people" no names,black shoes etc the same way......
Not Joe, Jay.

Turns out Jay and Lubrano were prescient. NIL has made the facilities arms race a minor or even non-issue. Its too bad the money was approved because otherwise Franklin would have more money for him and his staff, which he always seems to approaching Sandy for to increase pay. I wouldn't by surprised if Franklin had his agent use the USC job as a ploy to get a raise, nor would I blame him if he did. I bet Saban's doing so and everybody knows he's going nowhere.

Franklin is facing a number of changes that are in this day and age reasons to examine other opportunities.
The current PSU President is going to retire.
The Athletic Director will retire the following year. loosing both your boss and your boss's boss is a big deal.
As mentioned here, the board voted down funding. That's a big deal.
The recruiting talent in California superior to Pa by a LARGE margin.
Not sure how so many think there is no or little chance he will not leave.
James Franklin perspective will center around, which school will give him the greatest opportunity to win a NC.

Reactions: scrivener
Franklin is facing a number of changes that are in this day and age reasons to examine other opportunities.
The Athletic Director will retire the following year. loosing both your boss and your boss's boss is a big deal.
James Franklin perspective will center around, which school will give him the greatest opportunity to win a NC.
No, it will likely come down to what his wife wants to do.

Franklin likes the limelight, USC does not bring that. I actually think he is the type of person who enjoys being recognized in the grocery store and having it add an extra hour to the trip. USC does not bring that, LSU would. I would be more concerned about Franklin going to LSU than USC. LSU, college football is king, USC it is an after thought.

Franklin likes the limelight, USC does not bring that. I actually think he is the type of person who enjoys being recognized in the grocery store and having it add an extra hour to the trip. USC does not bring that, LSU would. I would be more concerned about Franklin going to LSU than USC. LSU, college football is king, USC it is an after thought.

LSU is no doubt attractive but few if any major college football programs have the kind of limelight USC does when it’s winning. Just check the celebrities on the sideline and the people at the school. The network (if you are interested in a career in entertainment) is unmatched (save maybe NYU). His daughters want an internship with a film studio, record label, etc.? Someone at USC with either ‘be’ that someone or able to reach out with little effort. Few schools can win as well as USC too and in the era of NIL, they won’t have to worry about the issues they had with players like Reggie Bush. LSU is good for different reasons - but has a lot more obstacles to a NC than USC (namely Alabama, Georgia, and Florida).

Reactions: ftlpsu
USC is a rebuild. It would take him 4 years to get as close to a NC as he is now.

MAYBE going LSU gets him there faster, but I don't think he is a good cultural fit for LSU.

If he wants a NC, he should stay at PSU.

Cristobal needs to head back to the U and straighten them out..
Don't think that it's not something their Trustees (or whatever they are called) and AD don't contemplate. They would break the bank to get Mario back home.

The Stanford game was tough, but you can pin that a little bit on an odd call at the end of the game, and really perfect catch to go to OT.

ya know, i was just wondering today "man.... if only there were someone who could tell me exactly what CJF is thinking, and what his decision making matrices are" and low and behold, there are like 8 of you in this thread! How lucky are we!!!!!! Insiders abound!

• Haha
Reactions: gogolion
LSU is no doubt attractive but few if any major college football programs have the kind of limelight USC does when it’s winning. Just check the celebrities on the sideline and the people at the school. The network (if you are interested in a career in entertainment) is unmatched (save maybe NYU). His daughters want an internship with a film studio, record label, etc.? Someone at USC with either ‘be’ that someone or able to reach out with little effort. Few schools can win as well as USC too and in the era of NIL, they won’t have to worry about the issues they had with players like Reggie Bush. LSU is good for different reasons - but has a lot more obstacles to a NC than USC (namely Alabama, Georgia, and Florida).
LA has the Rams, the Chargers, UCLA, The Lakers, The Clippers, the Dodgers, Magic, and Beyoncé - there is only a small sliver of limelight left. And then there’s air quality, forest fires, taxes, water shortage, drought and/or storm….

LA has the Rams, the Chargers, UCLA, The Lakers, The Clippers, the Dodgers, Magic, and Beyoncé - there is only a small sliver of limelight left. And then there’s air quality, forest fires, taxes, water shortage, drought and/or storm….

USC is a major attraction when they’re winning. A place to see and be seen as it were.

Reactions: dailybuck777
Lived in SoCal for a few years. There is a lot going on every day. USC football is great but it don’t compared to the PennState atmosphere. Even when they are winning, it’s not the same.

Lived in SoCal for a few years. There is a lot going on every day. USC football is great but it don’t compared to the PennState atmosphere. Even when they are winning, it’s not the same.
I agree. Truthfully, nowhere he goes will match the atmosphere of a whiteout. On the flip side, as far as an easy path to the CFP and a shot at a national title, USC has a ridiculously easy conference, PAC12, compared to the BIG.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT