ADVERTISEMENT

Lavar contemplated transferring to Pitt after his freshman year.

PennState Proud

Nov 8, 2001
Hudson, OH
I heard Lavar on the radio earlier today saying he seriously contemplated transferring to Pitt at the beginning of his sophomore season. He said when the 1st depth chart came out (not sure if he was referring to the Spring or Fall depth chart) and he was behind a rs sophomore he visited Pitt for a practice and considered transferring. In the end he said he stayed because he wasn’t a quitter. He mentioned the Nittany Lion tattoo he got after committing when in HS. He said that he had never told that story before.

When listening I was thinking that the depth chart was just Joe trying to get the most out of Lavar by motivating him.

I heard Lavar on the radio earlier today saying he seriously contemplated transferring to Pitt at the beginning of his sophomore season. He said when the 1st depth chart came out (not sure if he was referring to the Spring or Fall depth chart) and he was behind a rs sophomore he visited Pitt for a practice and considered transferring. In the end he said he stayed because he wasn’t a quitter. He mentioned the Nittany Lion tattoo he got after committing when in HS. He said that he had never told that story before.

When listening I was thinking that the depth chart was just Joe trying to get the most out of Lavar by motivating him.
I believe the player listed ahead of him was Aaron Gatten. Great athlete in his own right as I recall, but not the can’t miss recruit that Lavar was. And your are correct, that sort of move was standard procedure for Joe. Motive Lavar and give him a needed dose of humility.

Interesting. Heard lavar speak a lot and never mentioned that. In this day and age there’s almost certainly a photo of hime attending such a practice.

Reactions: TheGLOV
I guess he never released Joe would have blocked his transfer to Pitt.

Reactions: TheGLOV
Thankfully he came to his senses.

TheseZanyAllensbigearedbat-max-1mb.gif

He really missed out on an opportunity to play on those 2-9 and 5-6 Pitt teams of the late 90s. I'm sure he regrets missing that chance each and every day.

Meanwhile, we complain about how "blah" those 9-3 and 10-3 seasons from '98 and '99 were.

Could always be worse. We could always be Pitt.

Reactions: Sharkies
I believe the player listed ahead of him was Aaron Gatten. Great athlete in his own right as I recall, but not the can’t miss recruit that Lavar was. And your are correct, that sort of move was standard procedure for Joe. Motive Lavar and give him a needed dose of humility.
I thought that it was Ron Graham

I thought that it was Ron Graham

Graham was in the same recruiting class as Lavar., and they were listed on different OLB slots. The depth chart for his freshman year he was behind Jim Nelson, a 5th year senior, and Mac Morrison. Graham redshirted. The next year, Lavar moved to the other side and started out behind Gatten. He became the starter a few games into the season. Graham was the back up to Mac Morrison.

There is a great site called "Nittany Anthology" that has depth charts going back to 1950 plus some information from teams in the 40's. It's been around for 20+ years and looks much like it did when it started.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT