ADVERTISEMENT

Laura Ditka passes away

Meh. People die everyday. Here are some compassionate quotes from her famous uncle, Mike, regarding her involvement in the “Penn State thing”.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sport...e-scandal-haugh-spt-0619-20170618-column.html

"The Penn State thing, I never knew she was involved as much as she was, but I am glad she did bust (them) because they were all (expletives)," Mike said. "The whole thing was completely flawed. I found it disgusting. ... I remember Laura as a very intelligent girl who I knew would go far in life because she always had her head on straight. And if you have to put (expletives) behind bars to do it, that's good too."

Last edited:
Reactions: nits74
well, that was her role and her job. spanier's attorney's role was to defend.

people are slowing realizing the unbridled power and lack of accountability our court system has given to prosecutors. But that isn't her fault.
Not to get into the Ditka thing (specifically), but if the system is FUBAR, everyone who is part of that system, and chooses to participate and profit from it - rather than to endeavor to correct it - is MOST CERTAINLY “at fault”.

That is how and why such systems get FUBAR to begin with.

Not to get into the Ditka thing (specifically), but if the system is FUBAR, everyone who is part of that system, and chooses to participate and profit from it - rather than to endeavor to correct it - is MOST CERTAINLY “at fault”.

That is how and why such systems get FUBAR to begin with.
maybe....I've got a family member, who does some defense work, that caught a prosecutor withholding evidence. It was pretty cut and dried. They took incriminating evidence out of a person's personnel records that showed a pattern of activity. When discovered, the judge had some harsh words for the prosecutor. Then, they granted a retrial. That's it.

I mean, it was like catching a bank robber with the money. The thief then is forced to give the money back and it is no harm, no foul from there. Add to this that the "thief" in my story, has unlimited govt funding and resources. (see five year prosecution of Curley and Schultz for a misdemeanor conviction and a claim of victory).

So this is our judicial system. Its not "profit", its the law.

Were the offenses such that the Prosecutor should have been disbarred? Brought before a disciplinary council?
IDK.... I’m asking.

If so.... did your relation bring the situation to the attention of the proper venue? IDK

If the actions were such as to be subject to discipline, and the actions were not brought forward by those “in the know”, then all of those folks are part of the problem. Whether they “created” the problem or not.

Someone has got to push the disbarment. Most defense lawyers are working on a couple hundred dollars (court appointment or public defender). Plus, when you go after a prosecutor, you yourself becomes a target. you start to get what they call, the slow roll (cops drive by slowly, giving you the stare-down or sit outside your home or place of business while eating donuts). There is simply no money or upside.

There is no other remedy, at least here where I live.

Obi, you live in The United States of America. I believe the remedy is the 6th Amendment of our Constitution providing an individual a speedy and fair trial. Of course I could be mistaken.
That is correct! The remedy for a cheating prosecutor is a new trial. Congrats on that! The cheating prosecutor's punishment is that everything goes back to being equal under the law of criminal prosecution! You do get your 6th amendment, but who cares.

Reactions: step.eng69
That is correct! The remedy for a cheating prosecutor is a new trial. Congrats on that! The cheating prosecutor's punishment is that everything goes back to being equal under the law of criminal prosecution! You do get your 6th amendment, but who cares.
Obi, just throwing a little sarcasm on the fire. I do live in Luzerne county where no one is above the law. :rolleyes:

Condolences to her family.
Meh. People die everyday. Here are some compassionate quotes from her famous uncle, Mike, regarding her involvement in the “Penn State thing”.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sport...e-scandal-haugh-spt-0619-20170618-column.html

"The Penn State thing, I never knew she was involved as much as she was, but I am glad she did bust (them) because they were all (expletives)," Mike said. "The whole thing was completely flawed. I found it disgusting. ... I remember Laura as a very intelligent girl who I knew would go far in life because she always had her head on straight. And if you have to put (expletives) behind bars to do it, that's good too."

As for her role in the Sandusky matter, she visibly colored peoples' perceptions about who was at fault. She told the court that Tim Curley would testify that Joe Paterno was the man who changed the original plan and advised NOT reporting to DPW. Tim ultimately testified to no such thing. IMO, Laura Ditka made those remarks to enter speculation into the court-recorded public domain as a final FU to PSU. The only question is who put her on that bone.

well, that was her role and her job. spanier's attorney's role was to defend.

people are slowing realizing the unbridled power and lack of accountability our court system has given to prosecutors. But that isn't her fault.
It's one thing to do a job and quite another to grandstand and relish in an ill-gotten win. Her unfortunate and untimely death does nothing to change my perception of her. Sorry for the lack of PC here.

It's one thing to do a job and quite another to grandstand and relish in an ill-gotten win. Her unfortunate and untimely death does nothing to change my perception of her. Sorry for the lack of PC here.

If someone is an awful person in life, I don't see why they become respected as soon as they die. We had the same thing here when Bernie McCue died. Suddenly he wasn't so bad? WTF

How could Ditka prosecute that case anyway? She assisted Moulton in preparing his report on the JS investigation.

Anyone who thinks that children in PA or anywhere are safer because Curley, Schultz, and Spanier were inanely convicted of a misdemeanor and received wildly unfair jail time is just not thinking very deeply or clearly on this topic.
If Laura Ditka contributed to that line of thinking, then she did no favors to that cause or to those victims. imo.

Anyone who thinks that children in PA or anywhere are safer because Curley, Schultz, and Spanier were inanely convicted of a misdemeanor and received wildly unfair jail time is just not thinking very deeply or clearly on this topic.
If Laura Ditka contributed to that line of thinking, then she did no favors to that cause or to those victims. imo.

It's nonsense. She did nothing to protect children. Children are not safer, in fact they may be less safe because the boogeymen were dealt with and all is right in the world or so they say.

I wish no ill will on the dead - I'm old school. However, I wish no good will toward an attorney who flat out lied in a court of law but got away with it because she worked for the OAG.

Obi, just throwing a little sarcasm on the fire. I do live in Luzerne county where no one is above the law. :rolleyes:
Oh yeah? When I was in college, I was parking with my girlfriend at the time and the Wyoming Chief of Police pulled up next to me. It was a dirt road near some railroad tracks. He looks in and sees it's me. He knew me from childhood and I knew him. He used to like my cousin. I said, "Joe, if you'd like us to leave, I'll take off." He said with a smile, "Do you really want to leave?" And then he left us alone.

I was above the law. LOL

Oh yeah? When I was in college, I was parking with my girlfriend at the time and the Wyoming Chief of Police pulled up next to me. It was a dirt road near some railroad tracks. He looks in and sees it's me. He knew me from childhood and I knew him. He used to like my cousin. I said, "Joe, if you'd like us to leave, I'll take off." He said with a smile, "Do you really want to leave?" And then he left us alone.

I was above the law. LOL
Go parking in Wilkes Barre now and you'll be begging the cop to stay near so you don't get mugged or die!

Reactions: Howie'81
During Spanier's trial Ditka told the jury regarding the defense that "if they can't pound the facts they'll pound the table", or something to that effect. From the accounts I've read about the trial the table pounder was Ditka and it worked. She bullied the jury into a guilty verdict.

Doesn't this continue The Bad Karma for those that propagated the shit storm or stood in judgement? Fina, Ditka, Lou Anna Simon, Corbutt, One-Eyed Louie Freeh, Jemele Hill, et al???
giphy.gif

Reactions: Ski
Good, now she's inspiring cabbages. by the looks of her, lots of them.

ADVERTISEMENT