ADVERTISEMENT

latest Suriano news

The Penn St vs Rutgers dual at Rutgers will be interesting now wonder if he gets a warm NJ welcome or if RU fans will be up in arms that Suriano spent all summer in there room at SKWC practices and still went back to PSU

The Penn St vs Rutgers dual at Rutgers will be interesting now wonder if he gets a warm NJ welcome or if RU fans will be up in arms that Suriano spent all summer in there room at SKWC practices and still went back to PSU

I think Cael will take the brunt of the vitrol just because a good number of Rutgers fans are fanatical and uninformed. Plenty of Rutgers fans understand the situation, but there are a lot that don't.

Last edited:

The Rutgers wrestlers/room gained more from Suriano being there than Suriano gained from the SKWC.

No half Lions. I heard on FRL 222 they were talking about Nick wrestling for PSU then transferring to RU next year. I don't know why they would agree to that slippery slope. The record just isn't that important to keep this drama going for another year. They were also discussing training partners.

No half Lions. I heard on FRL 222 they were talking about Nick wrestling for PSU then transferring to RU next year. I don't know why they would agree to that slippery slope. The record just isn't that important to keep this drama going for another year. They were also discussing training partners.

That seems like a very suspect argument because it relies upon the B1G, an independent party, sanctioning the transfer by granting the waiver. I don't see B1G setting that precedent.

As I've said before, allowing schools to, in essence, agree to undermine the B1G policy sets up scenarios where backroom deals and the appearance of impropriety are facilitated. I don't see the ruling body going along with it. I could easily imagine the B1G deciding that they note Penn State's position but their rule is a rule and will be enforced.

Well RU fans Booed NS last year in Rec hall, SO I would assume they will do the same this year

That seems like a very suspect argument because it relies upon the B1G, an independent party, sanctioning the transfer by granting the waiver. I don't see B1G setting that precedent.

As I've said before, allowing schools to, in essence, agree to undermine the B1G policy sets up scenarios where backroom deals and the appearance of impropriety are facilitated. I don't see the ruling body going along with it. I could easily imagine the B1G deciding that they note Penn State's position but their rule is a rule and will be enforced.

Blows my mind that they would float these things out there. I understand and agree that it undermines and attempts to circumvent the rules. It's simple either he's 100 percent a Nittany Lion or he is not. As far as the training partners thing...as if RU would have better ones than PSU makes me laugh.

Saw an interview with Nick where he said he was training with Nico and Conaway. Whether they stopped training together at some point I don't know, but CP makes it sound like Nico was never there.

Saw an interview with Nick where he said he was training with Nico and Conaway. Whether they stopped training together at some point I don't know, but CP makes it sound like Nico was never there.
Nico's twitter page states that he is still part of the NLWC but also that he has a regular job so maybe he is not training full time now?

Just a thought;

I'm not sure Bubba Jenkins (?) wanted to go to ASU but that worked out going out of Conference and winning an NCAA title for his effort.

If NS wants to go to Rutgers because Rutgers is the place for him then wrestling shouldn't be his priority. If wrestling is his priority, then the other NJ, PA schools with high level programs could be considered if he wants to be closer to home.

Princeton and Rider are twenty-twenty five minutes further away from Bergen Catholic HS than Rutgers. Lehigh is about a half hour more. Drexel and Penn are about an hour further.

Just a thought;

I'm not sure Bubba Jenkins (?) wanted to go to ASU but that worked out going out of Conference and winning an NCAA title for his effort.

If NS wants to go to Rutgers because Rutgers is the place for him then wrestling shouldn't be his priority. If wrestling is his priority, then the other NJ, PA schools with high level programs could be considered if he wants to be closer to home.

Princeton and Rider are twenty-twenty five minutes further away from Bergen Catholic HS than Rutgers. Lehigh is about a half hour more. Drexel and Penn are about an hour further.

If Penn is within reach academically, Columbia is the closest school and its coach also wrestled at Bergen Catholic.

Reactions: lostlion
I made the post below back in mid July and there were posts after both agreeing with the though and those emphatically in non-agreement. I will not say what is said on Flo is accurate but today CP brought this up as a possibility. We know there was significant talks between the coaches and ADs and just perhaps they had contact with the BIG boys and this did became a possibility.

If Nick is dead set on transferring to Rutgers but still wants to wrestle this season perhaps he and Cael could come to an agreement. Nick wrestles for PSU this year and if he still wants to transfer next year Cael gives him the release and PSU recruits a 125 this year.

For the 100th time ....
IT"S NOT UP TO CAEL.
IT IS A BIG 10 RULE.
ONLY THE BIG 10 CAN ALLOW NS TO WRESTLE AT RUTGERS WITHOUT LOSING A YEAR OF ELIGIBILITY.
CAEL CAN GRANT A WAIVER AND RECOMMEND NO LOSS OF ELIGIBILITY BUT IT DOESN'T MATTER.

I made the post below back in mid July and there were posts after both agreeing with the though and those emphatically in non-agreement. I will not say what is said on Flo is accurate but today CP brought this up as a possibility. We know there was significant talks between the coaches and ADs and just perhaps they had contact with the BIG boys and this did became a possibility.

If Nick is dead set on transferring to Rutgers but still wants to wrestle this season perhaps he and Cael could come to an agreement. Nick wrestles for PSU this year and if he still wants to transfer next year Cael gives him the release and PSU recruits a 125 this year.

For the 100th time ....
IT"S NOT UP TO CAEL.
IT IS A BIG 10 RULE.
ONLY THE BIG 10 CAN ALLOW NS TO WRESTLE AT RUTGERS WITHOUT LOSING A YEAR OF ELIGIBILITY.
CAEL CAN GRANT A WAIVER AND RECOMMEND NO LOSS OF ELIGIBILITY BUT IT DOESN'T MATTER.
I doubt that Cael would ever agree to NS wrestling for PSU this year and transferring next year.

Everyone should fight it. It opens the door to all sorts of private deals and collusion to circumvent the rules. The stated position by Penn State is proper - you can give a release, step back and let the B1G follow its rules.
I think he meant fight having RU kicked out of the BIG, since those programs at least can always count on being better than Rutgers!

Everyone should fight it. It opens the door to all sorts of private deals and collusion to circumvent the rules. The stated position by Penn State is proper - you can give a release, step back and let the B1G follow its rules.
PBS can speak for himself but I took his comment to be something different than what your response is.

Those named teams don't want RU to leave because they like having someone they kick around on regular basis.

Speaking of RU, is anybody else surprised at how few PA kids they have on their roster, especially when you consider their head coach wrestled for Lock Haven?

Last season RU had 2 PA kids on their roster. This season, they have 0.
I would expect that to increase in the near future. Until recently they were not fully funded for OOS scholarships, but that situation has now changed.

Creek Side posted on Iowa's forum that he's working as a Financial Advisor for Northwestern Mutual

Yes, FB page says he started working there on September 4, 2016. Believe he's in their State College office, though.

Nico's twitter page states that he is still part of the NLWC but also that he has a regular job so maybe he is not training full time now?
He's had that job for a while. Not an issue with his training.

I would expect that to increase in the near future. Until recently they were not fully funded for OOS scholarships, but that situation has now changed.
There are a LOT of schools with PA wrestlers on their rosters. They can't all be better funded than Rutgers.

And while their roster is very NJ heavy, they do have a few guys from NY, Ohio, and even Oregon on the roster. So they could have someone from PA.

Not to mention that he CANNOT agree to that due to the BIG transfer rule. Why do people keep bringing up BS like this?
There is a way Cael could agree to it: the grad transfer rule.

It seems unlikely and a significant workload challenge for Nick, but here goes: After 5 semesters and 3 summers, he could get over 100 credits at PSU. If he has enough AP credits from HS, he could conceivably get his diploma in Dec 2018.

Cael could then say: you do that, and you can transfer in the spring. I'll sit you in Fall 2018 if that helps. Then it's up to you and Rutgers if you shirt for 2019 or wrestle that half season.

Garett Hammond graduated in 3 years with an engineering degree, and there are PSU majors that require 10+fewer credits than engineering. So it's not something I'd bet on, but also not entirely inconceivable.

There is a way Cael could agree to it: the grad transfer rule.

It seems unlikely and a significant workload challenge for Nick, but here goes: After 5 semesters and 3 summers, he could get over 100 credits at PSU. If he has enough AP credits from HS, he could conceivably get his diploma in Dec 2018.

Cael could then say: you do that, and you can transfer in the spring. I'll sit you in Fall 2018 if that helps. Then it's up to you and Rutgers if you shirt for 2019 or wrestle that half season.

Garett Hammond graduated in 3 years with an engineering degree, and there are PSU majors that require 10+fewer credits than engineering. So it's not something I'd bet on, but also not entirely inconceivable.

The grad transfer is an exception to the NCAA rule needing a release to be immediately eligible and to my knowledge has nothing to do with the BIG transfer rule so he would STILL lose a year of competition if he transferred to a BIG school. How may different posters and how many times are posters going to not get that NCAA and BIG transfer rules are NOT the same.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT