ADVERTISEMENT

Latest 'confused' Comcast statement

Live in Philly too and hate COMCAST. I have Comcast internet and YouTube TV and get the Big Ten Network for $30/month.

Big Ten network costs $1.86 a month per subscriber. Not too bad if you want to watch games, but that's awful if you have no interest in watching the channel, which I would imagine is 70% of homes or more. The price should come down from the last contract. Comcast has the power here. A deal will be reached before the season starts.

Seems like Comcast could charge $25/month to individuals.

Here is the easy email link to ask Comcast to come to terms. Takes about 30 seconds: http://btn.com/about/btn-channelfinder/

No New York.

tumblr_oogzszhwFt1wnyhmeo1_500.gif

I forgot one thing -- last week BTN stated Comcast was dropping the BTN channel across the board. At this point -- who knows what Comcast will do next, or BTN.

Data streaming using PlayStation VUE is the answer... my cable bill was $165. Now I have an internet bill of 44.99 and a PSVue bill of 57.99, which is their second tier of programming and the sports add on.

Reactions: Gnat91
They’d lose a lot of subscribers to PS Vue or other similar services, DirecTV or Dish Network. My house is prepared for that situation next time my bill skyrockets and Comcast won’t play along.

What's going on now???

http://keepbigten.com/
https://finance.yahoo.com/news/big-...paring-drop-channel-altogether-163413762.html

Are we about to lose BTN and FS1 for games starting 9/1 if we have Comcast??

Anybody with an internet connection can get BTN on Sept 1 -- through any of half a dozen streaming services.

Instead of blaming Comcast for everything, people should l BTN and ask why they don't have a standalone streaming service for $7.99 a month. Why should we have to spend $40 for a comprehensive streaming service when all we need is BTN?

BTN is trying to maximize revenue. Comcast is trying to keep cable bills from climbing another $20 next year.

Something's gotta give. The existing TV paradigm is blowing up. BTN is whining up a storm, but by doing this they are only hastening the day when Comcast throws its hands up and stops agreeing to bundling contracts and just lets people order the TV they want to buy.

Didn’t see an actual email address and I’m not in the mood to speak with someone overseas. Can you please post it.

Sorry. Going through the Big Ten channel finder page (plug in your zip and Comcast as your provider) brings up an Email link & "I want the Big Ten on Comcast!" message that is sent to petition Comcast. You don't have to speak to anyone.

BTN is trying to maximize revenue. Comcast is trying to keep cable bills from climbing another $20 next year.

Comcast has no problem carrying the expensive SEC network. Plus Comcast is still bitter that they could have been the majority investor into BTN when it was launched, but slow played the B1G and then the B1G called up Fox.

Cut the cord and if you have to get kodi. F**k all these cable companies and while were at it F the NCAA and NFL. It's not going to be long before the NCAA go's the way of the NFL and you'll be paying 300 bucks a season to watch out of market games like with the monopoly dtv has on Sunday ticket.

Ah, Comcast. Has there ever been a more wildly successful and yet widely reviled company?

Yes. Verizon.
I actually don’t hate Verizon nearly as much as I used to hate Comcast. But now I’m not a Comcast customer and I really don’t give a darn about their service.

But to your point, I cant name a more wildly successful or reviled company. It’s impressive.

Anybody with an internet connection can get BTN on Sept 1 -- through any of half a dozen streaming services.

Instead of blaming Comcast for everything, people should l BTN and ask why they don't have a standalone streaming service for $7.99 a month. Why should we have to spend $40 for a comprehensive streaming service when all we need is BTN?

Something's gotta give. The existing TV paradigm is blowing up. BTN is whining up a storm, but by doing this they are only hastening the day when Comcast throws its hands up and stops agreeing to bundling contracts and just lets people order the TV they want to buy.

Most if not all cable companies already bundle. I doubt buying individual stations is a viable marketing strategy.

Most if not all cable companies already bundle. I doubt buying individual stations is a viable marketing strategy.

He’s not talking about buying anything. You can watch any game for free online. It’s best to have a hell of an antivirus suite when doing so.

I forgot one thing -- last week BTN stated Comcast was dropping the BTN channel across the board. At this point -- who knows what Comcast will do next, or BTN.
The 10-year contract is up the end of August and according to Silverman, Comcast hasn't been responsive to their proposals.

I live in Georgia and a few months ago I switched to Comcast and the biggest questions I had was to be sure I had whatever package had the Big Ten network. Then the dropped BTN without as much as a heads up and NO options. I immediately cancelled and went with DISH and told them why. They could not care less. Bye Comcast. Horrible customer service.
That's the problem with complaining to Comcast, as they recommend. They really don't care. Most of the people you'll talk to aren't even in the country--they couldn't care less and don't know anything about BTN.

Reactions: BBrown
I’m not sure how much leverage Comcast even has anymore with the combination of cord cutters and those who would save money by switching to a service like YouTube TV - which I plan to do if they mess around with this into late August.

Reactions: Sharkies
BTN will no longer be on the Starter tier in PA soon (unofficially). You will need the preferred tier to get the network going forward. Probably not a big deal to most people, but probably will impact some.

We're in Philly, it's never been on the starter tier here that I know of. You have to pay for extended, which is a minimum of $120 a month.

One thing to have PSU football carrying BTN's water, but they shouldn't be lying. Anybody with an internet connection can stream PSU games through a streaming service that includes BTN. Cable is not necessary.

And it would also be nice if they would disclose that the good PSU games are never going to be on BTN, they're sold to broadcast networks or ESPN.

The Big Ten really needs to get a move on standing up its own standalone streaming service. By that I mean including BTN-aired content, not the BTNPlus stuff they have now. Silverman hinted this was in the works 2-3 years ago.

The Big Ten really needs to get a move on standing up its own standalone streaming service. By that I mean including BTN-aired content, not the BTNPlus stuff they have now. Silverman hinted this was in the works 2-3 years ago.

Not exactly Silverman's highest priority right now and probably never will be.

If they did that for say $5.99 per month, I'd buy a nice antenna, drop Comcast TV altogether (keep internet only) and just have Netflix, BTN and whatever the cheapest streaming service gives me the ESPN games (SlingTV?). Comcast should think about this thought when negotiating.

If they did that for say $5.99 per month, I'd buy a nice antenna, drop Comcast TV altogether (keep internet only) and just have Netflix, BTN and whatever the cheapest streaming service gives me the ESPN games (SlingTV?). Comcast should think about this thought when negotiating.

BTN isn't the driving factor in these negotiations. Hint: you'll need a streaming service that gives you access to two more channels.

If you are like me and Comcast is your only option (besides slow satellite internet), you can be certain that Comcast will bend you over for your internet service.

question. i thought this was out of market losing BTN on comcast. is it now BTN on no Comcast anywhere?

question. i thought this was out of market losing BTN on comcast. is it now BTN on no Comcast anywhere?

No BTN (or FS1 or FS2) on Comcast anywhere. Fox shelled out big bucks for media rights to college games and now they want to get paid.

Comcast are GD idiots. I have Comcast Internet because it's the only thing that's available to me. Had their rent a router and then bought my own. Lost theirs but was still getting charged 12 bucks a month for the rental. So I was looking like hell all over the place for this f'n router so I could return it. Finally gave up about four months later.
Went into a Comcast store to let them know I lost it and they couldn't have cared less. Took it off my account on the spot. But if I would have never gone in.. ..Even though it's not hooked up, they'd still be charging me .

Comcast are GD idiots. I have Comcast Internet because it's the only thing that's available to me. Had their rent a router and then bought my own. Lost theirs but was still getting charged 12 bucks a month for the rental. So I was looking like hell all over the place for this f'n router so I could return it. Finally gave up about four months later.
Went into a Comcast store to let them know I lost it and they couldn't have cared less. Took it off my account on the spot. But if I would have never gone in.. ..Even though it's not hooked up, they'd still be charging me .

They're not idiots. People are leaving Comcast and the cable companies because their bills are too high. And now Fox comes along and says that they want more money for BTN, FS1, and FS2. Carriage fee is based on every household into which those channels are piped, but only a small percentage watch. So Comcast should just bend over and invite Fox to fvck them up the ass? Yeah, they're idiots.

Reactions: Creek Side

Dude, I'm sorry to say that that's somewhat on you. You're renting their router. I doubt they even have a way to know whether you're using it. You have their routing and their renting it to you, they'll charge you until the Second Coming if you let them.

The day, about four years ago, that I finally returned the last of all the cable company junk in my house was a great day. Whatever you're renting from them, figure out how to buy the equivalent and stop renting. It'll cost you more in the short run but save a lot in the long run. $8 per month for this. $12 per month for that. $10 per month for this other. I bet they make 20 times renting out the equipment that what it cost them to buy it in the first place.

They're not idiots. People are leaving Comcast and the cable companies because their bills are too high. And now Fox comes along and says that they want more money for BTN, FS1, and FS2. Carriage fee is based on every household into which those channels are piped, but only a small percentage watch. So Comcast should just bend over and invite Fox to fvck them up the ass? Yeah, they're idiots.

I can't wait until the time comes (and it will come eventually) when people can just buy whatever channels they want. Someday people will look back in the early decades of cable TV and say how ridiculous it all was.

A company (Big Ten or whoever) is selling a product. Why does the carrier of the product into my house have any say on whether I can get it? It's like the mailman refusing to deliver packages that it decides it doesn't want me to have.

Yea as much as I dislike Comcast I have to agree with you. IMO its BTN and B1G arrogance.

I can't wait until the time comes (and it will come eventually) when people can just buy whatever channels they want. Someday people will look back in the early decades of cable TV and say how ridiculous it all was.
I don't claim to have any special insight into television networks, carriage fees, etc., but it seems to me the a la carte model would be the death knell for many channels. Would enough people be willing to pay a couple dollars per month to get Nickelodeon for example? At most I might watch 10 channels. Even if I paid $5 per month for each I'd still be further ahead.

And I'm not saying fewer channels would be bad. If they can't survive that's how it goes.

I was talking more along the lines of how Comcast doesn't even know if their own equipment is being used or not. But if you wanna talk about how they're getting "f**ked"... There are multiple streaming venues to watch all of the same channels that Comcast offers . If Comcast wants to compete ,maybe they should drop prices. How can they do that ? Maybe stop paying executives their outrageous salaries. The 2 top Comcast executives .. .One is worth 1.6 Billion.. ..The other makes around 50 million a year. No sympathy for Comcast from me.

ADVERTISEMENT