ADVERTISEMENT

Last Post - Used to be fun

psu7981

Jan 28, 2004
I have decided that today is my last day of visiting this board. This board has become too focused on politics, etc. and no longer provides any enjoyment. I have been coming here for many years and I have read and enjoyed some interesting discussions about Penn State football.

Best wishes to all!

I have decided that today is my last day of visiting this board. This board has become too focused on politics, etc. and no longer provides any enjoyment. I have been coming here for many years and I have read and enjoyed some interesting discussions about Penn State football.

Best wishes to all!
Still fun for sure but not sure what you had expected. You chose to go to a thread, posted a reason for vaccination to not "not continue virus spread and allow the virus to mutate" when everyone paying attention knows that those who are vaccinated do get and spread covid. Then you made a laughable analogy about safety glasses in woodworking as if it applies to covid particles being stopped by masks with thread pitch that is 1000 to 10000 times larger than the aerosolized covid particles.

If you viewed the responses from various people who appear to understand the science better as political than perhaps maybe don't post in that thread or if you do, get up speed on the science. They were merely correcting false narratives with actual well established science.

Tom isn't here to silence science or censor any view that doesn't align with his team's talking points anymore. Your ideas have to stand on their merit now.

Still fun for sure but not sure what you had expected. You chose to go to a thread, posted a reason for vaccination to not "not continue virus spread and allow the virus to mutate" when everyone paying attention knows that those who are vaccinated do get and spread covid. Then you made a laughable analogy about safety glasses in woodworking as if it applies to covid particles being stopped by masks with thread pitch that is 1000 to 10000 times larger than the aerosolized covid particles.

If you viewed the responses from various people who appear to understand the science better as political than perhaps maybe don't post in that thread or if you do, get up speed on the science. They were merely correcting false narratives with actual well established science.

Tom isn't here to silence science or censor any view that doesn't align with his team's talking points anymore. Your ideas have to stand on their merit now.
The board has certainly declined over the years. Politics has become imbedded in just about everything these days. And that problem is magnified by the lack of posters since the split. Very few people start threads, lack of subject diversity that made the board fun, too many insults and too much anger all take the fun out of the board. And as people leave it just gets worse.

Best wishes to all!
I hear ya. When On3 started the better posters moved on leaving this free board to turn into a complete dumpster fire. Initially the new crew put some effort into controlling the political crap, but gave up pretty quickly. Who can blame them though, that would require putting effort into a free board and by cutting out the few remaining discussions - even if wildly inappropriate for the board - would effectively cut clicks and visits to zero. This board was chasing off new members for years though. Cutting off their nose to spite their face and dying a slow death.

I still swing by as some of the articles posted by the new crew aren’t elsewhere etc, but at this point the best strategy is avoidance in terms of interaction with most folks around here.

I'm not familiar with the thread that motivated the first post in this thread, but as a general statement on topics like this, I think it is a good idea in current times to be aware of yourself and your thoughts and feelings when discussing things and when you notice yourself starting to become too pissed off or frustrated, simply disengage. Just disengage. Disengage from the discussion and if you find yourself unable to disengage from frustrating discussions on a certain board or with a certain person or whatever, then disengage with that board or person or whatever. Ultimately, you are in control of what you do or feel, not someone else.

I'm not familiar with the thread that motivated the first post in this thread, but as a general statement on topics like this, I think it is a good idea in current times to be aware of yourself and your thoughts and feelings when discussing things and when you notice yourself starting to become too pissed off or frustrated, simply disengage. Just disengage. Disengage from the discussion and if you find yourself unable to disengage from frustrating discussions on a certain board or with a certain person or whatever, then disengage with that board or person or whatever. Ultimately, you are in control of what you do or feel, not someone else.
The OP in this thread posted once with some very outdated false narratives about covid like vaxxed not catching and spreading covid. He was corrected by multiple posters. Then took offense to one poster saying that vaxxed can catch and spread covid referring to him as a "moron". I don't agree with calling someone a moron but the OPs post that was being rebutted was an incredibly poor understanding of the science. Moronic was a fairly accurate description of the OPs post in that thread. I personally just stuck to correcting the false information that the OP put out. Everyone else can see how the OPs post was very poor understanding on the topic.

I'm actually pretty surprised that the mods moved the thread to the test board considering that PSU campuses including main forcing indoor masking affects everyone who visits and attends PSU sports events when indoors. It seemed to be one of the most relevant and informative discussions on this board. But like in other aspects of life, we cater to any minority group that complains no matter how silly their complaint. The OP and others essentially were successful in removing a topic that was very informative and directly relevant to PSU sports fans impacting many on this board who will be affected by the policy change. But since the policy is tied to their politics, they wanted any criticism of it removed. It's a sad state when you are not permitted to discuss public policy that directly affects you and others because it offends someone who wants to force those policies on everyone.

Last edited:
The board has certainly declined over the years. Politics has become imbedded in just about everything these days. And that problem is magnified by the lack of posters since the split. Very few people start threads, lack of subject diversity that made the board fun, too many insults and too much anger all take the fun out of the board. And as people leave it just gets worse.
Actually your comments above are pretty representative of America in general. Sad to say

Best wishes to all!
Relax my friend!!! All is good! We just need to run-off the Biden/Commie/Liberal Loonies and this Board will be awesome!!! Please feel-free to call out any Biden brain-dead zombies posting on the Board so we can promptly expose them to shame to ridicule they deserve so they will leave the Board! We are so close man. Hold on! Don't quit!!! We need strong conservative voices of reason on this Board like yourself!!

Best wishes to all!
Politics, especially over the last 2 decades, have encroached on virtually every aspect of life. This is particularly true of entertainment and athletics, which had been escapes from such stench. —People need to recognize that this is a hallmark of specific types destabilizing politics ….. and representative republics/ democracies are not one of those that destabilize. Recognizing what you’re fighting is essential.

Last edited:

Best wishes to all!

Arrivederci, a mini opus is a fine way to say goodbye.

Best wishes to all!

I have never seen your name before or on a thread.

LdN

Relax my friend!!! All is good! We just need to run-off the Biden/Commie/Liberal Loonies and this Board will be awesome!!! Please feel-free to call out any Biden brain-dead zombies posting on the Board so we can promptly expose them to shame to ridicule they deserve so they will leave the Board! We are so close man. Hold on! Don't quit!!! We need strong conservative voices of reason on this Board like yourself!!
Twist your f'kn great!

You are right. Better we should have the American Fascist party Trump(KING,Fuher, Czar)and his merry men. Cruz, Hawley,Gohsar, Gohmert, Biggs,MT Greene(now talk about brilliance) Perry. The list goes on and on. The problem is they will probably return to power and democracy will be gone.I am to old to make a difference for me, but I have 3 kids and 10 grandchildren. This will become Russsia with a Dumber Putin
I hope this was written tongue in cheek, otherwise, you sir have a captured mind. CNN and MSNBC seem to own you and your thoughts which do not in anyway resemble sane or rational thought.

You are right. Better we should have the American Fascist party Trump(KING,Fuher, Czar)and his merry men. Cruz, Hawley,Gohsar, Gohmert, Biggs,MT Greene(now talk about brilliance) Perry. The list goes on and on. The problem is they will probably return to power and democracy will be gone.I am to old to make a difference for me, but I have 3 kids and 10 grandchildren. This will become Russsia with a Dumber Putin
JB has us on the fast track...

Reactions: lionbacker
Go watch 2000 Mules. Democracy is already gone.

Reactions: lionbacker
Do some of you have a different version? In the version I have I actually have to click on a link to go in and see what it is about. If I don't like the title or the first couple posts I get out of it.

You see, that is the problem with our society, it has become easier to complain and be offended rather than to just move the hell on.

Lets see one guy tried to stop the counting of electoral votes so that he could remain in power directing his minions to march the nations capitol and thus storm the capitol without having one of 60 lawsuits proving any of the fraud that would be needed to overturn an election which in turn caused the killing of a police man oh and apparently he was ok with his VP getting lynch or at least not bothered by it. Yeah I would call that someone interested in Democracy. But you keep watching Fox News, Qanon etc, and telling yourself that the Democrats are the problem.

Reactions: GastonLion
The problem with this board, is the mainly the test boarders stayed since that was really where they interacted in the first place. Now that there is no mod's on this board anymore, the test board spilled over onto here.

I don't mind political talk, but lets keep it on the testboard.

McAndrew board is much more active an overall better experience.

One of the issues is that there is no civil discourse anymore. Look at this thread and all the name calling. I have seen similar threads on the other board and they existed on this board before the split. Nothing has changed except maybe the the trigger was pulled quicker. The media and politicians actively try to divide us for power and money. I believe other countries are fomenting this as well to our detriment and we are taking the bait - hook, line, and sinker.

One of the issues is that there is no civil discourse anymore. Look at this thread and all the name calling. I have seen similar threads on the other board and they existed on this board before the split. Nothing has changed except maybe the the trigger was pulled quicker. The media and politicians actively try to divide us for power and money. I believe other countries are fomenting this as well to our detriment and we are taking the bait - hook, line, and sinker.
anonymous and fake name internet posts have taken away the ability to pop someone in the nose. I'm usually not a back in the day type of guy but back in the day a majority of what is said in threads would get ya jacked in the mouth.

anonymous and fake name internet posts have taken away the ability to pop someone in the nose. I'm usually not a back in the day type of guy but back in the day a majority of what is said in threads would get ya jacked in the mouth.
Agreed. Only the craziest of people would say some of the things said on the internet to someone's face. In everyday life, people are generally civil to those with differing views. The problem is that the the uncivil people have the loudest voice and get the most attention.

McAndrew board is much more active an overall better experience.
I agree. Tom's Board is better. But I still check in here, and I post on the Test Board quite frequently. It's a rougher environment, but if you enjoy the debate and can tolerate the occasional (frequent?) lack of civility, it can be pretty entertaining. I know you feel that way, too, since you are on the Test Board with me.

Best wishes to all!
116 posts in over eighteen years. Or seven posts per year. And no way to know how many threads he/she started.....if any. Perhaps if you, and other lurkers, actually contributed more the board would be far more interesting, entertaining, informative, and worthwhile.

All you lurkers.....and there are hundreds....it’s time to step up to the plate and take a few swings. Otherwise this board will fade away.

Edit: looked at profile and clicked on the number of messages. Showed all messages and that this person started seven threads or one per year. The last one was Dec 27, 2019. One shouldn’t complain about the content when you contribute next to nothing.

Last edited:
What the heck does one have to do to get banned here.

Long story. It was all a mistake, which to its credit, the management here acknowledged and corrected within the space of mere hours.

Meanwhile, I went over to the other board to ventilate and promptly got set upon by the Mean Girls Club over there. So I responded by kicking their asses over the space of several days...and left a few of them like Knicksy with emotional scars that will apparently last a lifetime. I feel bad about that actually.

The funny thing is, most of that time I had already been reinstated here but didn't realize it. I mean, the whole thing is comical...to those with a sense of humor. Knicksy, unfortunately, does not qualify in that department.

Long story. It was all a mistake, which to its credit, the management here acknowledged and corrected within the space of mere hours.

Meanwhile, I went over to the other board to ventilate and promptly got set upon by the Mean Girls Club over there. So I responded by kicking their asses over the space of several days...and left a few of them like Knicksy with emotional scars that will apparently last a lifetime. I feel bad about that actually.

The funny thing is, most of that time I had already been reinstated here but didn't realize it. I mean, the whole thing is comical...to those with a sense of humor. Knicksy, unfortunately, does not qualify in that department.
Tell the truth Jerry. You couldn’t kick a brownies ass. You went there crying like a bitch and people made fun of you. Stick to test board where lies are reality. You fit in better there loser.

Reactions: bkmtnittany1
Still fun - but I generally stay off the test board and try to keep politics out of my normal posts.
Honestly, the whole Sandusky saga - and the way opposing fanbases seemed to revel in it - soured me on college football in general. Now with guys sitting out bowl games for hangnails, transferring at a moment’s notice, etc, I just can’t get invested as much.

I’ve peeked in on On3, but it doesn’t seem noticeably busier. Is it? I’m now most generally active on the Wrestling board here and it’s as busy as ever and looks busier than On3. As long as Cael and crew keep striving for excellence, they will get most of my attention - and deserve every bit of it. The wrestling team in the last 12 years has probably given me more thrills than decades of watching college and pro football - and that’s down to the straight up killers that Cael keeps churning out - stepping up when the lights are on.

Last edited:
JB has us on the fast track...
I don't understand why more rational Americans aren't completely livid with both parties. Are you telling me that Hillary Clinton, Donald Trump and Joe Biden are the best candidates the nation can offer? Everyone needs to stop trying to discredit the left or the right and admit that no one in office is worth a damn. The house and the senate are in even worse shape. They seek (and often acquire) life time employment.....all the while enriching themselves thru lobby without conscience.
The power of the executive branch is considerable.....but pales in comparison with the legislative branch. Too many idiots vote for the candidate that promises them something for "free." Child care, student loan forgiveness or any other stipend or service is not free. Buying votes under any guise should be identified and prosecuted.
Our nation today does not even come close to resembling the country that mobilized and not only won WW2 but emerged as a military and industrial giant.
We are a nation of would be oppressed....would be victims.....discriminated against.....slackers that are all looking for a government program to validate and enrich us.
We can send billions in military aid to Ukraine to protect their children and can't come to a consensus to act to save our very own innocent children being slaughtered in our schools.

I don't understand why more rational Americans aren't completely livid with both parties. Are you telling me that Hillary Clinton, Donald Trump and Joe Biden are the best candidates the nation can offer? Everyone needs to stop trying to discredit the left or the right and admit that no one in office is worth a damn. The house and the senate are in even worse shape. They seek (and often acquire) life time employment.....all the while enriching themselves thru lobby without conscience.
The power of the executive branch is considerable.....but pales in comparison with the legislative branch. Too many idiots vote for the candidate that promises them something for "free." Child care, student loan forgiveness or any other stipend or service is not free. Buying votes under any guise should be identified and prosecuted.
Our nation today does not even come close to resembling the country that mobilized and not only won WW2 but emerged as a military and industrial giant.
We are a nation of would be oppressed....would be victims.....discriminated against.....slackers that are all looking for a government program to validate and enrich us.
We can send billions in military aid to Ukraine to protect their children and can't come to a consensus to act to save our very own innocent children being slaughtered in our schools.
Excellent post.

2004 really exemplified the lack of choice we have in choosing a President. Both candidates came from well-entrenched elite families, both went to Yale, and then, to top it off, both were in the same secret society at Yale that maybe taps in 10-20 people a year. So you have a country of 330 millions people choosing from a “talent” pool numbering in the 10s.

Reactions: bison13 and Jerry
I don't doubt that each party could have better candidates but generally speaking it's the policies not the candidates that impact our lives. I don't think anyone actually believes Biden is in charge of anything, he clearly has dementia.

It's the policies of the party in control of the executive branch, congress, and the house that impact our lives. In that regard, overwhelmingly Americans recognize that things have worsened considerably the past year and half. Even democrats when polled think America is going in the wrong direction. It's pretty much undeniable with record inflation, record crime, no longer energy independent, tens of millions of Americans are being pushed into poverty and food insecurity, 25% of Americans say they are going to have to delay retirement, the vast majority of covid deaths have occurred in this past year and half, mom's cannot even find formula for their babies. We are beginning to look more like socialist Venezuela.

At this point, we can no longer just say all the candidates are lacking. We have to honestly look at how our lives our impacted by the party in control. Candidates come and go. We have to live with the results of the policies that the parties enact. Right now it's not good and that is a huge understatement.

ADVERTISEMENT