ADVERTISEMENT

Last Ohio Recruit with a legit OSU offer to sign with PSU?

ejb25

Dec 31, 2013
Who was the last Ohio Recruit with a legit OSU offer to sign with us? After years (maybe decades?) of OSU poaching Pennsylvania's top recruits, it's nice for some payback. Hopefully Drew Allar is the first of many.

Reactions: psu00
My guess would be zordich and beachum who were both studs from Youngstown.

Reactions: ejb25
Who was the last Ohio Recruit with a legit OSU offer to sign with us? After years (maybe decades?) of OSU poaching Pennsylvania's top recruits, it's nice for some payback. Hopefully Drew Allar is the first of many.
**edit to delete my mistake

Last edited:
Allar wasn't really poached. OSU's QB room is loaded and it would be hard to start. If playing time and NFL are Allar's primary goals, he made a good choice. I don't think he seriously considered OSU.

OSU didn't go after Allar until late in the process which ticked of Allar and his family. They might have offered early if Mullet (Ewers) hadn't reclassified to 2021 - he was in the same class as Allar. When it became obvious that they were going to lose 2 of the 4 QBs on their roster (and the Ewers commitment), they went after both Allar and Devin Brown - a high 4-star (0.9761) on the Composite. But by this time Allar was all PSU. OSU did get a commit from Brown

Nate Cadogan.

Reactions: 87 Penn St8
Allar wasn't really poached. OSU's QB room is loaded and it would be hard to start. If playing time and NFL are Allar's primary goals, he made a good choice. I don't think he seriously considered OSU.

Exactly my point. OSU wanted and offered Allar, but Allar chose Penn State. That's big for Penn State considering he's lives right in Ohio State's backyard.

Exactly my point. OSU wanted and offered Allar, but Allar chose Penn State. That's big for Penn State considering he's lives right in Ohio State's backyard.

It kind of isn't. The point here is that OSU has tons of qB talent and PSU has none.

LdN

• Haha
Reactions: Lion8286
There was plenty of drama with Micah Parsons; did the Buckeyes withdraw their offer?

Others -- Jahan Dotson, Jayson Oweh, Shane Simmons
None of which are from Ohio...reading is fundamental. Curtis Enis, Kijana Carter, Drew Allar, Hartings. McDuffie, Hughs, Joe Juevecius, Micheal Zordich, Drew Allar, Kaden Saunders, Removed NC. Read an old ESPN chart imcorrectly

Really an unknowledgeable post.
Oooops, Ohio recruit...hasn't been many.

Last edited:
None of which are from Ohio...reading is fundental. Curtis Enis, Kijana Carter, Drew Allar, Hartings. McDuffie, Hughs, Joe Juevecius, Micheal Zordich, Drew Allar, Kaden Saunders, Nate Cadogan...
OSU did offer Saunders but as a defensive back and he wanted none of that. He's a WR in college and nothing else

OSU didn't go after Allar until late in the process which ticked of Allar and his family. They might have offered early if Mullet (Ewers) hadn't reclassified to 2021 - he was in the same class as Allar. When it became obvious that they were going to lose 2 of the 4 QBs on their roster (and the Ewers commitment), they went after both Allar and Devin Brown - a high 4-star (0.9761) on the Composite. But by this time Allar was all PSU. OSU did get a commit from Brown
You can sleep well Bucknut1972…your O$U boys are well-covered at QB.

None of which are from Ohio...reading is fundental. Curtis Enis, Kijana Carter, Drew Allar, Hartings. McDuffie, Hughs, Joe Juevecius, Micheal Zordich, Drew Allar, Kaden Saunders, Nate Cadogan...
What part of after years or decades didn't you understand in his original post? Let's be honest, PSU hasn't done well in Ohio for a long time. We get a few kids but last years haul was the best in a while. Is it your take PSU has done well in Ohio the last 20 years....because they haven't.

Last edited:
What part of after years or decades didn't you understand in his original post? Let's be honest, PSU hasn't done well in Ohio for a long time. We get a few kids but last years haul was the best in a while. Is it your take PSU has done well in Ohio the last 20 years....because they haven't.

So, the point of the original post was minutes ago? Before sanctions and the BCS championship farce. Seems to me that the similar numbers exist for other schools bordering Ohio...Michigan, Indiana etc either. My point was not that PSU has done well recruiting in Ohio the past 10 YEARS... but there is evidence of change in this years class that the OP ignored.

OSU did offer Saunders but as a defensive back and he wanted none of that. He's a WR in college and nothing else
I guess that makes him ineligible for consideration for this discussion. The BS Div 1 playoff was implemented, what schools in states bordering have done well pulling in state Ohio players away from.OSU offers?

So, the point of the original post was minutes ago? Before sanctions and the BCS championship farce. Seems to me that the similar numbers exist for other schools bordering Ohio...Michigan, Indiana etc either. My point was not that PSU has done well recruiting in Ohio the past 10 YEARS... but there is evidence of change in this years class that the OP ignored.
No, his post is pretty much spot on. Hopefully we continue to get into Ohio, but it's been decades since we did well even semi-consistently.

It kind of isn't. The point here is that OSU has tons of qB talent and PSU has none.

LdN

OSU has a lot of talent at all positions. That doesn't take away from the fact that OSU offered and wanted Allar and he ultimately chose Penn State.

Last edited:
The last big hauls from Ohio were the early to mid-90’s. Likely more to do with Penn State joining the Big10 and Joe hitting the recruiting trail hard. Penn State was a top 5 program having played for 3 National Titles in the previous decade. More than all of the big10 combined (by far) at that time. Penn State is indirectly responsible for the rise of Ohio State and Michigan at that point simply by joining the Big10. Both won/shared national title for the first time in decades within a few years after having to up their game after Penn State bitch slapped both of them in ‘94 with a ton of home grown Ohio recruits.

The last big hauls from Ohio were the early to mid-90’s. Likely more to do with Penn State joining the Big10 and Joe hitting the recruiting trail hard. Penn State was a top 5 program having played for 3 National Titles in the previous decade. More than all of the big10 combined (by far) at that time. Penn State is indirectly responsible for the rise of Ohio State and Michigan at that point simply by joining the Big10. Both won/shared national title for the first time in decades within a few years after having to up their game after Penn State bitch slapped both of them in ‘94 with a ton of home grown Ohio recruits.
But not since.

Probably Sam Ruhe and Sean McHugh. Both were top 100 national recruits in the 2000 signing class, which was highly touted, but unfortunately had too many misses that in turn contributed to the very down cycle of 2000 through 2004.

He has disappeared.
Oh I agree that he didn’t work out. But he was a high quality recruit 4* and from Ohio and was pursued by tOSU. So I think he’s the answer to the question of the OP in terms of the most recent

Todd Blackledge

Fair take imo.

ADVERTISEMENT