ADVERTISEMENT

Larry Johnson Jr: "These are the games that show you what position coach needs to be fired.”

Offense could use an overhaul. OL.... mediocre for three years. Next, WR coach not working out as it’s been a downward trend all year. And OC better step it up over these last three games or else. Aside of McSorley’s performance against O$U and Indiana nothing has worked but for the TE over the middle. And they have left the D on the field way to long.

Offense could use an overhaul. OL.... mediocre for three years. Next, WR coach not working out as it’s been a downward trend all year. And OC better step it up over these last three games or else. Aside of McSorley’s performance against O$U and Indiana nothing has worked but for the TE over the middle. And they have left the D on the field way to long.
It may be just a little too easy to blame the WR coach. But if a guy can’t catch the football, he can’t catch the football. And the younger guys, when given a chance, have shown that they CAN catch the football. My assumption is that the “loyalty” thing has caused the wrong players to get the majority of the playing time — unless we’re to believe that the WR coach has “taught” the upperclassmen how to NOT catch a football and has yet to inflict similar damage on the young WRs. I get it if the call is 50/50 and you want to show loyalty to an upperclassman, but the evidence is clear that our more experienced players at WR (and various other positions on the field) are not as good as some of the younger players.

The best players should play, period.

Whoever is responsible for not making the decision to put Hamler and Dotson on the field at the same time, instead having them split reps at one spot, definitely needs a reassessment if not reassignment. They are the two best WRs we have and it's not even close.

It was tough to complain about RB substitutions yesterday simply because we didn't have but 35 offensive snaps at one point during the 4th quarter. However, Brown looked pretty good on his snaps where they actually got a back outside. He's got a gear Sanders doesn't have. And what about Slade? What are we telling the current recruits at RB? Kind of worrisome.

Whoever is responsible for not making the decision to put Hamler and Dotson on the field at the same time, instead having them split reps at one spot, definitely needs a reassessment if not reassignment. They are the two best WRs we have and it's not even close.

It was tough to complain about RB substitutions yesterday simply because we didn't have but 35 offensive snaps at one point during the 4th quarter. However, Brown looked pretty good on his snaps where they actually got a back outside. He's got a gear Sanders doesn't have. And what about Slade? What are we telling the current recruits at RB? Kind of worrisome.
We are telling recruits that if you are good enough and stay out of trouble you will play. See Slade and Brown

Meh. How many position coaches did Harbaugh fire after last year’s game at Beaver Stadium? How may did Meyer fire after last year’s Iowa loss or this year’s loss to Purdue?

Something has to change.

Reactions: doc69
We are telling recruits that if you are good enough and stay out of trouble you will play. See Slade and Brown
I’m confused by this. Is Slade in some sort of trouble? Was Brown previously in trouble and now has worked his way back into Franklin’s good graces? Are neither/both of them good enough? They’ve both barely played . . .

Reactions: djr4rebs

So nobody is good enough to play but Sanders? Hard to believe that. Brown got around the edge, something Sanders has failed to do all year, and put his head down and went North/South. I don't consider the last possession "getting to play". Every top 25 program utilizes no less than 2, most 3 RBs. We've been apt to ride one dating back to Sophomore year Barkley. At the beginning of this year, we seemed to have made a change. Allen, before injury, was in a bit, and Slade was getting touches.

As for trouble, what trouble? I've seen nothing but rumors.

Reactions: Jwsmitty
Harbaugh fired his OC/OL coach (Tim Drevno) after the season.

I think Franklin should take a good hard look at Rahne after the season. My point was that after a bad loss you don’t respond by looking at who to fire. Sometimes the players don’t make plays, sometimes you’re overmatched - and that usually boils down to a relatively inexperienced team going up against a veteran squad. There were times when JoMo’s offense was absolutely ineffective too, and then other times where they ran circles around the other team.

I’m confused by this. Is Slade in some sort of trouble? Was Brown previously in trouble and now has worked his way back into Franklin’s good graces? Are neither/both of them good enough? They’ve both barely played . . .
How much do you think they are going to play when you are in close games and you have an excellent junior tailback

So nobody is good enough to play but Sanders? Hard to believe that. Brown got around the edge, something Sanders has failed to do all year, and put his head down and went North/South. I don't consider the last possession "getting to play". Every top 25 program utilizes no less than 2, most 3 RBs. We've been apt to ride one dating back to Sophomore year Barkley. At the beginning of this year, we seemed to have made a change. Allen, before injury, was in a bit, and Slade was getting touches.

Well Alabama played their 5 star third string tailback one series last night and yet they will get another couple this year.

Well Alabama played their 5 star third string tailback one series last night and yet they will get another couple this year.

One series? You apparently watched ND/NW or OU/TTech. Kid was in on two series minimally. He came up limping after a 10+ yard run. Might not have returned after that (I didn't because I could see LSU was not going to score).

The second string back was used quite a bit as well. All 3 are different types. Our 3 backs are very similar: 2 5*, 1 underrated guy. We haven't tried to use a second back since the Illinois game.

It may be just a little too easy to blame the WR coach. But if a guy can’t catch the football, he can’t catch the football. And the younger guys, when given a chance, have shown that they CAN catch the football. My assumption is that the “loyalty” thing has caused the wrong players to get the majority of the playing time — unless we’re to believe that the WR coach has “taught” the upperclassmen how to NOT catch a football and has yet to inflict similar damage on the young WRs. I get it if the call is 50/50 and you want to show loyalty to an upperclassman, but the evidence is clear that our more experienced players at WR (and various other positions on the field) are not as good as some of the younger players.

The best players should play, period.
If your WR coach isn't responsible for producing WR's who can catch, then who is??

How much do you think they are going to play when you are in close games and you have an excellent junior tailback
You implied we can tell recruits if they (a) are good enough and (b) stay out of trouble, they will play. Okay — then you said “see Slade and Brown” — neither of whom has played more than a handful of plays all year. Is this in your view “playing” that that will satisfy recruits? Or are you saying they aren’t good enough and/or haven’t stayed out of trouble, and that’s why they’ve barely played?

Still confused. Your point is lost on me.

I’ve asked before to no avail: Why
is the RB in this offense lined up in front of the QB? It makes no sense to me and I’ve never seen any other team do it. Why?

Why would a football program recruit wide receivers who can't catch? Those guys were at PSU before Corley got there.
What are Corley's accomplishments that would make him a viable candidate for his position at Penn State? Army's daunted Air assault history?

You implied we can tell recruits if they (a) are good enough and (b) stay out of trouble, they will play. Okay — then you said “see Slade and Brown” — neither of whom has played more than a handful of plays all year. Is this in your view “playing” that that will satisfy recruits? Or are you saying they aren’t good enough and/or haven’t stayed out of trouble, and that’s why they’ve barely played?

Still confused. Your point is lost on me.
Valid point on Brown but Slade was getting decent playing time for a true freshman before, according to CJF, he got dinged up (in trouble according to rumor)

What are Corley's accomplishments that would make him a viable candidate for his position at Penn State? Army's daunted Air assault history?
Nah. This.. actually he looks exactly like someone JVP would have hired...,

Corley helped the Black Knights to a second straight bowl win and the Commander in Chief’s Trophy in 2017. Army won back-to-back bowl games for just the second time in school history and claimed the Commander in Chief’s Trophy for the first time since 1996. The Black Knights also tied the school record with 10 wins.

Prior to his stint at Army, Corley was at the University of Connecticut for three seasons where he served in a variety of roles, including running backs coach, special teams coordinator, wide receivers coach and director of player engagement. In his final season with the Huskies, Corley guided Arkeel Newsome to more than 1,400 all-purpose yards with 715 rushing yards and five touchdowns to go along with 273 receiving yards. He also served as the offensive coordinator for the Huskies for the final month of the season.

In Corley’s season as the wide outs coach in 2015, he helped Noel Thomas see his production double from the previous season with 719 yards on 54 receptions with a trio of touchdowns. In his role as the special teams coordinator, Corley led the Huskies’ punt return defense to a top-20 national ranking. In 2014, Corley helped Newsome become the first UConn true freshman to accumulate 1,000 all-purpose yards since 2002.

Corley spent six seasons on staff at his alma mater, William & Mary, before heading the UConn. As the wide receivers coach and passing game coordinator in 2013, he guided Tre McBride to first-team All-Colonial Athletic Association (CAA) recognition. McBride was the first Tribe wide out in more than a decade to claim first-team honors. He served as the quarterbacks coach from 2010-12.

In his two seasons (2008-09) as the running backs coach at W&M, Corley mentored Jonathan Grimes, who broke freshman records for both rushing and all-purpose yards and eventually jumped into the program’s top-10 in career rushing and rushing touchdowns as a sophomore. He graduated as the most decorated player in CAA history with 11 all-conference honors in his career.

Corley played in the CFL for Calgary Stampeders and the Hamilton Tiger-Cats. He also played for the New York Dragons of the Arena Football League.

Corley was four-year starter at quarterback for William & Mary, where he broke the program’s career records for passing yards (9,805), total offense (10,948) and touchdown passes (73). He earned Atlantic 10 Rookie of the Year in 1999 and was a three-time all-conference honoree (second team in 2001 and 2002; third team in 2000). In 2001, he guided the Tribe to an Atlantic 10 title and NCAA Playoff appearance as he threw for 2,808 yards and 21 touchdowns.

I’ll take an educated stab at it. Corley was hired initially as a RB coach (also questionable) and then Gattis bailed for Bama. CJF panicked and hired Seider for the open spot based solely on recruiting and the FL connections. Instead of letting Corley go and hiring a WR coach “fiercely loyal” CJF retained him for a position he wasn’t ready for/experienced in.

I’ll take an educated stab at it. Corley was hired initially as a RB coach (also questionable) and then Gattis bailed for Bama. CJF panicked and hired Seider for the open spot based solely on recruiting and the FL connections. Instead of letting Corley go and hiring a WR coach “fiercely loyal” CJF retained him for a position he wasn’t ready for/experienced in.
He's coached WR before

Fair enough. Would you still say those credentials warrant the experience for a job at a program trying to be “elite”?
Well as I mentioned he was exactly the kind of guy JVP would have hired

To those asking why Slade and Brown are not getting carries/snaps, I would venture this one thought. Our offense has been producing a lot of 3 and outs, disparity in snaps (and not in a good way) between our D and our O meaning Sanders probably rarely needs a blow. He's spending a fair amount of time on the sideline. With the way the past few games have gone, you want your 1 in the game, thus Sanders getting the lion's share.

Exactly. Thank you.

How many carries did Sanders get? And some monkey humps want to “divide those up”? LMAO.
Of course, the only time (during the competitive part of the game) that anyone else enterednthe backfield, it was Stevens in the idiotic Ricky Rahne Lion Package :) .... the one that so many of the muttonheads were masturbating over when it wasn’t being used.

Go figure.
LOL! One of your better rants this weekend. I think the “masturbating muttonheads” may actually be UPenn students...
my-university-has-a-strict-masturbation-policy-university-of-pennsylvania-7903321.png

Meh. How many position coaches did Harbaugh fire after last year’s game at Beaver Stadium? How may did Meyer fire after last year’s Iowa loss or this year’s loss to Purdue?

As for Harbs none after the PSU game but at least 3 after the season.

Actually Sanders doesn't even get the ball that much. So I'm not sure why other are clamoring for Slade and Brown.
But FWIW I thought Journey looked pretty good and have been impressed with what I've seen from him so far.

ADVERTISEMENT