ADVERTISEMENT

Lance Dixon (hopefully false rumor)

I'm sorry but Tennessee is a complete dumpster fire and all of their players are bailing. They have been a dumpster fire since the 1990s. There is like 0.01% chance Franklin seriously considers this option for even a second. Tennessee has a track record now of bad outcomes for coaches. Why would Franklin consider for a second giving up coaching the most prominent school in his home state which has the best track record of football head coach stability in the nation? He knows if he only performs even at a 8/9 win average that he would be the man here for decades or as long as he wants until he's like 80.
probably because there is no salary cap in the SEC... that's the only reason I can think of

Reactions: marshall23
Will Michigan still have it’s VIPER position without the infamous DON BROWN defense? Dixon would be a good fit for that role, maybe he should just follow don brown.

Really hope Dixon sticks it out for another year at PSU. He hasn’t shown a lot of LB instincts so far, blame that on 2020 I guess. Hoping a full offseason of coaching changes things.
You are spot-on about the instincts of the position. I'm assuming being a five-star that he just got away with being so Superior of an athlete that he probably didn't need to read his keys for the play and it was just able to chase guys down.
Also great point above Is Well about him being a little soft in the tackling Department. There's just some guys who look like Tarzan and play like Jane.

Was Dixon originally a S moved to LB by Penn State? How many moves made by Penn State have actually hurt a player? We all know the parsons move seems to have worked out and the letting Shaka alone stop him considering other schools. But what other major position changes worked out and didn't work out?

Im still waiting to hear what Zuriah is bringing to the table.

Campbell turned down Texas, no chance he’d take Tenn. Fleck just said he’s not interested in Tennessee.

I’d be shocked if Franklin took it. Tons of issues there.

With Urban off to NFL, if JF wants to leave, mine as well wait out for USC job.
California tumbles into the sea
THAT will be the day I go back to Annandale
Hate to think about CJF and family going there!

Reactions: NittanyOpp
Was Dixon originally a S moved to LB by Penn State? How many moves made by Penn State have actually hurt a player? We all know the parsons move seems to have worked out and the letting Shaka alone stop him considering other schools. But what other major position changes worked out and didn't work out?

He played safety his whole HS career and recruited as a LB.

Reactions: GregInPitt
Respectfully disagree. IMO Dixon is not going to be a quality starting LB at PSU or any Big 10 school. PSU's LB corps is below average. It is time to make way for Jacobs, Fisher, Eldson, Katshir and hopefully Smith can play much better than he did last season.

Agree but I'm almost to the point that maybe its not all on the players.
First it was, well lbr' took a hit because of sanctions....Ok no doubt about it.
then it was we need to recruit more 4*+ lbrs... ok, agree and we did that.
Now its, well those 4*+ guys aren't working out so its time for the next batch. Ummm, well now I got to start questioning who is evaluating these guys and who is coaching them up?
Last year was a complete shit show with the LB'r group, some of which was caused by Parson's opting out and all things associated with the Virus but we are a far cry from LBU.
Franklin talks about wanting to be elite and he's certainly looking for it on the offensive side of the ball. I think he can now start looking on the other side of the ball. JMO.

Respectfully disagree. IMO Dixon is not going to be a quality starting LB at PSU or any Big 10 school. PSU's LB corps is below average. It is time to make way for Jacobs, Fisher, Eldson, Katshir and hopefully Smith can play much better than he did last season.

Yep, the great LB's in the history of PSU football (Ham, LA, Poz, Lee, ...) have hit the ground running, so to speak. When they have played special teams they have looked special. When they got on the field as LB's they have stood out and been ball hawks and good tacklers. Dixon has not done much to warrant any accolades at all in 2 years at PSU, in an era when young players get forced onto the field before most are ready in order to keep them from getting their feeling hurt.

I'm with you in that Jacobs looked better in his first year, being around the ball and being aggressive to the ball to make tackles, than Dixon has in 2 years. And I believe Jacobs should be ahead of Dixon to get on the field at OLB going into Spring practice. And with Elsdon and Fisher waiting in the wings, as well as the two incoming Freshman LB's, I'm not going to cry if Dixon punks out and transfers. If he stays, sure I hope that the staff can find a spot on defense where he can help the team, and that may be at Safety for all we know. But Dixon sure has not shown himself to be a playmaker at LB at PSU so far......

Chance Campbell, MD LB that played "Will" in their 3-4 and their leading tackler in 2020, is in the portal. CJF might just looks for an experienced LB to come in and use Dixon's scholarship if he decides to leave. Lamb, LB from CA with PSU parents that ended up at ND, is also available.

Last edited:
Speaking of great LBer, has anyone seen recent articles that Parsons draft stock may be dropping hard due to his connection to hazing lawsuit and rumors of rampart drinking/partying/misbehavior while an undergrad? At first I thought it might be your normal crap some teams put out there to get a top player to drop (like with Marino) but in today's cancel culture who knows.

Speaking of great LBer, has anyone seen recent articles that Parsons draft stock may be dropping hard due to his connection to hazing lawsuit and rumors of rampart drinking/partying/misbehavior while an undergrad? At first I thought it might be your normal crap some teams put out there to get a top player to drop (like with Marino) but in today's cancel culture who knows.
Mel Kiper has him going at the top defensive player in the draft as of this morning.

I have seen he is dropping.....although I havent seen one thing saying what you are alluding to and i look up a ton of that stuff. Do you happen to have a link of one of the articles so I can read it?

The most hilarious part of this article is they site Fox56 as the source of reporting. Those court papers have been around for around a year then Fox56 just reports them after the plantiffs lawyer puts them back in the news to try to gain traction. As a news reporting source they are one step up from the Colligian and maybe equal to Onward State. Maybe

The most hilarious part of this article is they site Fox56 as the source of reporting. Those court papers have been around for around a year then Fox56 just reports them after the plantiffs lawyer puts them back in the news. As a news reporting source they are one step up from the Colligian and maybe equal to Onward State. Maybe
Yeah, I read this earlier today and even I could tell that this was total bullshit.

It says the report was published in Oct.
I thought the Humphries thing was thrown out and that the people involved or accused by him passed lie detector tests?

"Some speculate that it could drop him out of round one while others think maybe it will kill chances of him being drafted."

Bwwahhhhh yea right.

It says the report was published in Oct.
I thought the Humphries thing was thrown out and that the people involved or accused by him passed lie detector tests?

"Some speculate that it could drop him out of round one while others think maybe it will kill chances of him being drafted."

Bwwahhhhh yea right.

The teams that are good at "winning" won't pass on Parsons......

Reactions: N&B4PSU and bison13

he played LB in high school, I saw him play several games

Reactions: NittanyOpp
I recall. Sad effort.
[/QUOTE

I recall an Illinois TE stiff arming him and then running 30 to 40 yards down the sideline for a touchdown. I am sure Dixon will improve over time but there was a reason he didnt start as a redshirt freshman.

Yep, the great LB's in the history of PSU football (Ham, LA, Poz, Lee, ...) have hit the ground running, so to speak. When they have played special teams they have looked special. When they got on the field as LB's they have stood out and been ball hawks and good tacklers. Dixon has not done much to warrant any accolades at all in 2 years at PSU, in an era when young players get forced onto the field before most are ready in order to keep them from getting their feeling hurt.

I'm with you in that Jacobs looked better in his first year, being around the ball and being aggressive to the ball to make tackles, than Dixon has in 2 years. And I believe Jacobs should be ahead of Dixon to get on the field at OLB going into Spring practice. And with Elsdon and Fisher waiting in the wings, as well as the two incoming Freshman LB's, I'm not going to cry if Dixon punks out and transfers. If he stays, sure I hope that the staff can find a spot on defense where he can help the team, and that may be at Safety for all we know. But Dixon sure has not shown himself to be a playmaker at LB at PSU so far......

Chance Campbell, MD LB that played "Will" in their 3-4 and their leading tackler in 2020, is in the portal. CJF might just looks for an experienced LB to come in and use Dixon's scholarship if he decides to leave. Lamb, LB from CA with PSU parents that ended up at ND, is also available.
Not really with LA. Bradley stunted his growth by initially trying him at safety. Then he couldn't get on the field at LB much. I still have vivid memories of watching not one but two Michigan State RBs run through our linebackers for 200 yards each and thinking to myself, "my God, we have LaVar Arrington, the #1 LB recruit in the country, and he's sitting on the bench for this? I know he's a freshman but this is ridiculous."

Not really with LA. Bradley stunted his growth by initially trying him at safety. Then he couldn't get on the field at LB much. I still have vivid memories of watching not one but two Michigan State RBs run through our linebackers for 200 yards each and thinking to myself, "my God, we have LaVar Arrington, the #1 LB recruit in the country, and he's sitting on the bench for this? I know he's a freshman but this is ridiculous."

Understand your point. My point was that when they get on the field, fans can readily see their ability and that they will be very good or great players as they get playing time. And that was also the case with LA. It's just that it seemed the team could have used LA on the field earlier.... Dixon has been on the field plenty for us to get a pretty clear first impression, and so far he has not shown the ability it takes to be a great PSU LB. We'll see what the future brings....

Last edited:
Reactions: TheGLOV

Too early to say that re: Dixon. He’ll get opportunities to improve and show it in 2021 if he’s still here.

If nothing else, losing another elite recruit to transfer is a really bad look.

Dixon is no LB. He just looks way too light out there. He has the size, quickness and speed for safety. There are a handful of players who played positions at PSU - positions where they have a small chance at playing in the NFL. Shaka comes to mind. I think it is a longshot for him to make it as a 250 lb DE in the NFL. With his 4.5 speed, I think he would have been better off at LB at PSU.
Toney could be a pass rushing linebacker on a team like the Steelers that plays a 3-4 defense.

Toney could be a pass rushing linebacker on a team like the Steelers that plays a 3-4 defense.

Yep, Toney has the quickness for it. But if Toney got to the Steelers and stood next to Watt, Dupree, and Alex Highsmith their 3rd round pick last season he would see that he will need to get on the James Harrison strength training program for a couple of years before he can make an impact as an every down OLB .....

JMO

That darned Bradley stunted him right into a 1st Team All-American, Butkus award winner. An idiot!

Dixon did not stand out this year in any way. Not sure we should be that worried if he bolts besides the thin depth chart. The bigger picture here is that our LB play this padt season was average at best and as some earlier posts in this thread have referenced all roads lead back to Pry.

Biggest concerns I have next year stem from from Franklin being too loyal:

-Defense underperforms and costs us a couple wins, thank you Pry.
-Franklin insists on sticking with Clifford who just doesn't have it when a younger player could be better. OR get a QB through the portal but that window seems to have closed.

Boy, do I hope Yurcich can work some magic with our QB's and specifically Clifford because it appears Franklin is saying it is Clifford or bust.

That darned Bradley stunted him right into a 1st Team All-American, Butkus award winner. An idiot!

And #2 overall NFL pick as well after leaving after 3 years which was not as common as it is today.

And I have a hard time believing that anyone other than Joseph Vincent Paterno decided who played and how much, especially true freshman.

I was at that game in Lansing was cold and not fun for the good guys :(

And #2 overall NFL pick as well after leaving after 3 years which was not as common as it is today.

And I have a hard time believing that anyone other than Joseph Vincent Paterno decided who played and how much, especially true freshman.
I seem to remember Lavar himself commenting that Joe made him play ST first and that it was one of the best things for his development

I seem to remember Lavar himself commenting that Joe made him play ST first and that it was one of the best things for his development
Lavar coming at you on special teams ...

d3430098608d17a42baa3585a06cd34e.jpg

Dixon did not stand out this year in any way. Not sure we should be that worried if he bolts besides the thin depth chart. The bigger picture here is that our LB play this padt season was average at best and as some earlier posts in this thread have referenced all roads lead back to Pry.

Biggest concerns I have next year stem from from Franklin being too loyal:

-Defense underperforms and costs us a couple wins, thank you Pry.
-Franklin insists on sticking with Clifford who just doesn't have it when a younger player could be better. OR get a QB through the portal but that window seems to have closed.

Boy, do I hope Yurcich can work some magic with our QB's and specifically Clifford because it appears Franklin is saying it is Clifford or bust.

He's right to be saying that....Clifford is gonna show out. You'll see.

ADVERTISEMENT