ADVERTISEMENT

Lance Dixon (hopefully false rumor)

PSU2UNC

Feb 9, 2016
There is a long thread on the MGoBlog board about Dixon transferring to UM. There OP didn't provide any source and I haven't seen any rumblings about it on the PSU side (or anywhere else).

Other schools cannot talk to a player before he is in the portal, correct? And he's not in the portal.

So other than him being from Michigan, I have no idea where this is coming from. I have to feel like this rumor is false.

Anyone else hear anything? Hopefully I can just chalk this up to skunk bears refusing to believe that the best players in their state don't want to play for them.

With Bellamy heading to UM, I could see it, but probably just a UM slappy thinking it will happen

Actually, there has been some buzz about this for more than a day. His HS coach is now on Michigan's staff. Plus, there have been rumblings of unhappiness from the Dixon family in how he's been used at PSU. No official announcements that I'm aware of, so it's hard to say definitely, but this rumor may have some legs to it.

Reactions: hlstone
There is a long thread on the MGoBlog board about Dixon transferring to UM. There OP didn't provide any source and I haven't seen any rumblings about it on the PSU side (or anywhere else).

Other schools cannot talk to a player before he is in the portal, correct? And he's not in the portal.

So other than him being from Michigan, I have no idea where this is coming from. I have to feel like this rumor is false.

Anyone else hear anything? Hopefully I can just chalk this up to skunk bears refusing to believe that the best players in their state don't want to play for them.

Appears to be more than a rumor. And info is out there $$$

Actually, there has been some buzz about this for more than a day. His HS coach is now on Michigan's staff. Plus, there have been rumblings of unhappiness from the Dixon family in how he's been used at PSU. No official announcements that I'm aware of, so it's hard to say definitely, but this rumor may have some legs to it.
He gone.

Dixon is no LB. He just looks way too light out there. He has the size, quickness and speed for safety. There are a handful of players who played positions at PSU - positions where they have a small chance at playing in the NFL. Shaka comes to mind. I think it is a longshot for him to make it as a 250 lb DE in the NFL. With his 4.5 speed, I think he would have been better off at LB at PSU.

the NCAA has gone after some schools that contacted players who are not in the portal. I do not know the ramifications, for a violator. Even among all the COVID rules relaxation, this has not been one of them they seem to relax. TXT messages, emails or phone calls - all of which can be obtained, could show content if it happened.

Dixon is no LB. He just looks way too light out there. He has the size, quickness and speed for safety. There are a handful of players who played positions at PSU - positions where they have a small chance at playing in the NFL. Shaka comes to mind. I think it is a longshot for him to make it as a 250 lb DE in the NFL. With his 4.5 speed, I think he would have been better off at LB at PSU.

Yeah, I just checked and he's listed at 6'2", 221. Seems smaller than that (or he plays 'small'). We're thin at LB so from a depth standpoint this would hurt, but no idea how he was rated a 5* prospect based on what we've seen from him so far (unlike B. Smith, who shows flashes of his ceiling and talent quite a bit).

Maybe he doesn't see a path to starting? I actually thought he had a chance to push for a starting role over 2 of the 3 returning starters (not Smith, he's shown enough to make me believe he isn't giving up any reps). Perhaps he thinks Jacobs has already supplanted him? Perhaps he sees a few of the other young guys we haven't seen much of yet like Fisher or Elsden looking like they may push for reps?

Reactions: BBrown
Bellamy as crooked as they come, everyone around metro Detroit HS FB know it. Paid kids to come up from city and go to West Bloomfield, a predominantly white, Jewish high school. He was paid handsomely under the table too by some rich donors. Student body probably happy he’s gone. Kids that would normally play couldn’t because he ran it like IMG.

Dixons parents have nothing to complain about. Dixon played a fair amount after a redshirt. He needed to redshirt because he wasn’t physically ready and we were pretty stacked at LB with Parsons Smith and Brown. Then this past year he got some PT, flashed a little but was also prone to a few big mistakes if you watch the tape. There’s a very good chance he plays much more this year if they move one of Brooks or Luketa to more of a complimentary role but he’s still probably the third or fourth best OLB on team with Smith and Jacobs. The only reason he transfers is because of Bellamy, and he’s not even coaching defense or LBs. Straight cash.

Reactions: Ephrata Lion
I never claimed it was "made up" but thanks for the input. o_O
Didn't mean to infer that you did. There is an abiding respect among the "insiders" at UT for CJF. Took UT to overtime in a loss and then turned around and beat them the next season.
From what I have heard from a friend....he and Matt Campbell are the
"dream hires." In the case of CJF, the response I got was that with a 4 million dollar buyout and 7 million to match what he is scheduled to make here.....with a heavy dose of likely sanctions coming.....they may not have the resources to get his attention. But, I can assure you they will or have kicked the tires.

Bellamy got Edwards to go to MI because he’s going there. Glad he’s off the HS scene and so are many others.

Didn't mean to infer that you did. There is an abiding respect among the "insiders" at UT for CJF. Took UT to overtime in a loss and then turned around and beat them the next season.
From what I have heard from a friend....he and Matt Campbell are the
"dream hires." In the case of CJF, the response I got was that with a 4 million dollar buyout and 7 million to match what he is scheduled to make here.....with a heavy dose of likely sanctions coming.....they may not have the resources to get his attention. But, I can assure you they will or have kicked the tires.
Campbell turned down Texas, no chance he’d take Tenn. Fleck just said he’s not interested in Tennessee.

I’d be shocked if Franklin took it. Tons of issues there.

With Urban off to NFL, if JF wants to leave, mine as well wait out for USC job.

Campbell turned down Texas, no chance he’d take Tenn. Fleck just said he’s not interested in Tennessee.

I’d be shocked if Franklin took it. Tons of issues there.

With Urban off to NFL, if JF wants to leave, mine as well wait out for USC job.
I don't think he's calling them. But I have a very good friend who played there and is still very connected. When the name came up....I texted him and sort of kiddingly said....give me a heads up if you are gonna steal our coach....he initially said he didn't think that was their direction....naming the Clemson OC. About 5 minutes later he texted and reversed his field......indicating what I have printed in a previous post.
I don't think CJF is interested. But who really knows what guys think? With the portal etc, it wouldn't take long to be respectable there. I don't know if anyone gets real sanctions anymore......I think those are reserved for schools where the BOT ask for them.

I hope its not true but outside of Smith I wasn't impressed with ANY of our LB'rs this past season. I think they were playing out of position and lacked fundamentals. I'm not putting it all on the players or the virus either, I have some real "issues" with our DC and LBr coach.

I hope its not true but outside of Smith I wasn't impressed with ANY of our LB'rs this past season. I think they were playing out of position and lacked fundamentals. I'm not putting it all on the players or the virus either, I have some real "issues" with our DC and LBr coach.
Other than Parsons who was a true 5 Star talent, none of our LBs have impressed anyone over the past several years. Whose our LB Coach? Pry, and he is the problem.

Reactions: Sooner Lion
I don't think he's calling them. But I have a very good friend who played there and is still very connected. When the name came up....I texted him and sort of kiddingly said....give me a heads up if you are gonna steal our coach....he initially said he didn't think that was their direction....naming the Clemson OC. About 5 minutes later he texted and reversed his field......indicating what I have printed in a previous post.
I don't think CJF is interested. But who really knows what guys think? With the portal etc, it wouldn't take long to be respectable there. I don't know if anyone gets real sanctions anymore......I think those are reserved for schools where the BOT ask for them.

Other than Parsons who was a true 5 Star talent, none of our LBs have impressed anyone over the past several years. Whose our LB Coach? Pry, and he is the problem.
Franklin aside, I feel like a lot of these PSU rumors actually come to fruition.

Will Michigan still have it’s VIPER position without the infamous DON BROWN defense? Dixon would be a good fit for that role, maybe he should just follow don brown.

Really hope Dixon sticks it out for another year at PSU. He hasn’t shown a lot of LB instincts so far, blame that on 2020 I guess. Hoping a full offseason of coaching changes things.

Reactions: bison13
Franklin aside, I feel like a lot of these PSU rumors actually come to fruition.
The situation and the discontent is definitely true on behalf of Lance Dixon based on it being reported in the public. It’s a similar situation to the Elias Ricks situation at LSU where the coaches are currently trying to convince him not to go into the transfer portal.

I believe it was the last game we played vs. Michigan State but I could be wrong. When our defense in the first half looked absolutely terrible he made a half hearted effort to tackle an MSU player right in front of our bench. I don't think in flag football it would have counted as a tackle. He was taken out immediately and I don't recall seeing him again but I could be mistaken

Here we go again....every time there’s an opening anywhere, this board goes off on why Franklin would be interested. He’s not going to Tennessee.
I’m just going to take all this as a seasonal thing, like leaves falling off the tree in the fall. Every year we’ll have these discussions about CJF leaving.

Will Michigan still have it’s VIPER position without the infamous DON BROWN defense? Dixon would be a good fit for that role, maybe he should just follow don brown.

Really hope Dixon sticks it out for another year at PSU. He hasn’t shown a lot of LB instincts so far, blame that on 2020 I guess. Hoping a full offseason of coaching changes things.

It will be curious to see what Michigan does with the 47 players it has recruited ofr the vaunted Viper position in the vaunted Don Brown defense now that the vaunted one is gone. Maybe the new DC will run 11 vipers on the field at one time.

Fire Pry. He is the cause of all of our troubles......
Except offense.....that's on Franklin.
Fire Franklin.

I’m just going to take all this as a seasonal thing, like leaves falling off the tree in the fall. Every year we’ll have these discussions about CJF leaving.
We could be Pitt fans. They never worry about Nard douche leaving.

Reactions: LionJim

I think there's a little insecurity involved. We talk like we have a great program that should be in the top 10 every year until someone speculates about our coach. At that point, our program isn't good enough to keep him from leaving.

Reactions: LionJim
I believe it was the last game we played vs. Michigan State but I could be wrong. When our defense in the first half looked absolutely terrible he made a half hearted effort to tackle an MSU player right in front of our bench. I don't think in flag football it would have counted as a tackle. He was taken out immediately and I don't recall seeing him again but I could be mistaken
I recall. Sad effort.

Reactions: m48tank and whart
I think there's a little insecurity involved. We talk like we have a great program that should be in the top 10 every year until someone speculates about our coach. At that point, our program isn't good enough to keep him from leaving.
Think of it this way......PSU is a good job....but not Alabama, Clemson, or Ohio State. There are a handful, perhaps not many more than the 3 I mentioned, where it is pretty unlikely the coach would leave for another college job. All the others, if your coach has a good reputation and he is winning, he's gonna be courted by others who want a home run hire.
I don't think Coach Franklin will leave, now that we've reached this point in the off season. I did think there was a real chance he might back in November or December.
I still contend that there is something that doesn't feel right. I suggested before that he could be unhappy with administration or as everyone here who has a family would know....he's a loving father and husband. Family is always a consideration in career decisions.

And if we were a regular top ten team there would be talk about him going NFL.

I worry about Nardoooozi leaving. We dont want that gift to stop giving.

I agree, I don't want Nardoozi to leave Pitt anytime soon. He is a decent coach, who has been able to develop some players, but he is a lousy recruiter.

I'm sorry but Tennessee is a complete dumpster fire and all of their players are bailing. They have been a dumpster fire since the 1990s. There is like 0.01% chance Franklin seriously considers this option for even a second. Tennessee has a track record now of bad outcomes for coaches. Why would Franklin consider for a second giving up coaching the most prominent school in his home state which has the best track record of football head coach stability in the nation? He knows if he only performs even at a 8/9 win average that he would be the man here for decades or as long as he wants until he's like 80.

Reactions: Parkland Fan
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT