ADVERTISEMENT

Lancaster Lou the groundhog has taken up residence under my shed.

brupsu

Aug 7, 2003
He has also utilized a neighbors shed .I figure one is his summer home.
Has anyone here had experience with these critters?
There are humane traps for them but if I trap him or her how far away can I take it so it does not come back.

There are humane traps for them but if I trap him or her how far away can I take it so it does not come back.
It’s illegal to capture and transport a wild animal for release in Pa as it spreads diseases. Professional trappers are required to kill such animals.

Reactions: brupsu
Get some of the fine mesh wire 1/4" squares, dig a little dirt back about a foot to a foot and a 1/2 all the way around the shed. Dig down 2-3 inches. Attach the wire to the side of the shed, run it down and bend it on a 90 degree angle so it then lays flat on the ground you just dug up. Cover the mesh back up. This will keep him out.

If he is under the shed, you can build a shoot with a door on it. This will give him a way to get out but not a way back in. I did this around our hunting camp. The guys at camp thought I was crazy but it has worked like a charm.

Here's a video basically showing what I wrote.

Reactions: The Spin Meister
Don’t mess with Lancaster Lou. ;)

giphy.gif

Trap him and drop him off in the grassy median of the nearest interstate highway. See if he can dodge traffic.

Groundhogs typically have two separate dens, one for summer and one for winter where they hibernate. Contrary to poplar belief, each den rarely has two holes. Apparently, he has a hole under your shed opposed to just hiding under your shed. Couple of quick ways to have him set up permanent residence at your neighbors shed is by taking a gasoline soaked rag and push it down his hole or just under the shed if you can't locate the hole. Another tried and true method is to urinate around your shed. Groundhogs absolutely hate human urine and will vacate the shed area. Another way, although cruel, is to place some double-bubble chewing gum around the shed. They love it but it does cause a slow death to a groundhog. One other option is to wait until he goes into hibernation then pack the hole solid with dirt. Depriving him of oxygen while he's hibernating is less cruel.

Had a massive guy live under a shed for years. Wife wouldn't let me kill him. Rarely showed himself...especially when we had 3 dogs...but when we were on vacation neighbors would report him sunning himself around the yard. Nothing but trouble...chewed into shed wood...not worth fixing so we tore it down. He then moved to my neighbors shed and apparently is still there. Save yourself the headache. Hire a pro and off the varmint!

I have a lot of experience trapping groundhogs and transporting them to a "safe" area. I use apples, cut in half this time of year. Bubblegum will also work. Make sure the trap door will work freely and there are no obstructions with the mechanism that operates the door. Once you trap the critter and are ready to transport it, make sure you put down cardboard in your vehicle under the trap. It will most likely poop while in transport. Take it AT LEAST 3 miles away. Groundhogs are able to find their way back if not taken far enough away. I usually take the ones I trap to a park or forrest out in the middle of no where. Make sure you point the door away from you when you release it! LOL!

on the farm we used to take an old margerine dish (the old ones that were like 2 inches high and 4 inches wide) and dig a shelf in the entrance to their hold, then fill the dish with gas and place it on the shelf, then cover the entrance to the hole with dirt. worked most times. of course, we would also try to shoot them whenever we would see them out.

I have a lot of experience trapping groundhogs and transporting them to a "safe" area. I use apples, cut in half this time of year. Bubblegum will also work. Make sure the trap door will work freely and there are no obstructions with the mechanism that operates the door. Once you trap the critter and are ready to transport it, make sure you put down cardboard in your vehicle under the trap. It will most likely poop while in transport. Take it AT LEAST 3 miles away. Groundhogs are able to find their way back if not taken far enough away. I usually take the ones I trap to a park or forrest out in the middle of no where. Make sure you point the door away from you when you release it! LOL!
It’s illegal to trap and transport for release any wild animal.

I have trapped skunks and groundhogs. called the game commission and local township animal control. They say you should not transport them but when asked about penalties, said most likely a warring if caught. The both said I could dispatch them. neither said I needed a hunting license. I have one. The make low sound 22 long rifle rounds.

Last edited:
I dont understand why people have such a hard on for killing animals. Just trap the bastard and drop him off in BFE. If you think a game warden is going to cite you for moving a nuisance animal you're high. Play stupid and they will just tell you to hire a professional next time. The odds of bumping into one while moving said animal is probably .1%. They tend to focus on things like poaching, dumping, illegal use of vehicles, maintaining public lands...you know...the small stuff

I had one in a garden decades ago. the hole wad easily 10+ft long and 8 ft deep. I tried everything, flood him out, he dug deep enough to hit gravel so no go on that. hot pepper, filled the hole a couple of times. Finally annoyed it enough and he moved to the adjacent garden but still raided mine. Finally filled up coffe can with charcoal lit it off, when they were nice and gray fipped it over into the hole, stomped on the back side of the can real good and covered it with dirt. No more chuck. I also find for chipmunk holes squirting a bit of weed killer concentrate down the hole gets rid of them on that hole prettt quick. I'm sure that would work for chuck too.

I dont understand why people have such a hard on for killing animals. Just trap the bastard and drop him off in BFE. If you think a game warden is going to cite you for moving a nuisance animal you're high. Play stupid and they will just tell you to hire a professional next time. The odds of bumping into one while moving said animal is probably .1%. They tend to focus on things like poaching, dumping, illegal use of vehicles, maintaining public lands...you know...the small stuff

i'm the same way with people who have a hard on for saving every creature, ESPECIALLY "nuisance" animals. Particularly when they feel the need to patronize those who feed differently than them. small world eh?

Live trap and drop him off in rural area. I wouldn’t be too concerned with the law on this. I’ve done it several times. Preferably you have a compartment on the vehicle separate from the interior as they will work themselves into a lather on the ride.

Reactions: BBrown
Get rid of him before a skunk takes over his burrow.
Ask me how I know this can happen.

I shoot about 30 a year (compete with the Amish kids) w a .17HMR and live trap others. I like to drop off the live ones on neighbors' porches with notes like, "Eric - do you want this CHINCHILLA?".

Last edited:
Reactions: The Spin Meister
on the farm we used to take an old margerine dish (the old ones that were like 2 inches high and 4 inches wide) and dig a shelf in the entrance to their hold, then fill the dish with gas and place it on the shelf, then cover the entrance to the hole with dirt. worked most times. of course, we would also try to shoot them whenever we would see them out.
I also grew up on a farm and we used these when we didn't have time to sling lead.

UNDERGROUND EXTERMINATOR.COM - I used this thing on both
groundhogs and moles. Solved my problem in 15 to 30 minutes
for under 20 bucks and can use it over and over if I get invaded
again. Directions were specific to whatever rodent problem you
may have. Just be sure to fill in the holes after you kill the buggers
so in the months ahead his buddies don't inhabit it again.

They can do a lot of damage to vehicles as well by chewing wires. Cost my brother hundreds to fix his van.

They can do a lot of damage to vehicles as well by chewing wires. Cost my brother hundreds to fix his van.

Yeah, forgot about the damage they can do to cars. Cost someone I know a couple thousand on a brand new Chevy SUV. There is something in the wire harness material that they (Chipmunks, Squirrels, Groundhogs, etc) like to eat.

ADVERTISEMENT