ADVERTISEMENT

Lamar Stevens and Mike Watkins

Remember when he announced his return last year on twitter? He said they were going to do big things this year. Indeed, they did. Thank you for everything, Lamar. You are Penn State.
Truly devastated for Lamar. He came back to carry this team to the dance and he succeeded. Heartbroken indeed. What a great Penn Stater.

Remember when he announced his return last year on twitter? He said they were going to do big things this year. Indeed, they did. Thank you for everything, Lamar. You are Penn State.
I feel sorry for all the seniors (basketball, hockey wrestling, etc), but feel the worst for Lamar. He seems like a very genuine person and meant everything to his team. Hopefully that NW game wasn’t the last time we see him play!

Lamar is 6 points shy of being our all time scoring leader. Two freakin shots. It’s hard to imagine.

I mean I gotta believe the NCAA is going to give all affected athletes an extra year of eligibility if they want it.

Hows that gonna work with all the incoming freshmen? Would make things interesting though.

Just give every team an extra scholarship for every returning player who would have left? No?

Would be great for the players who decided to return. But then the junior who expected to become the starter at his position could miss out on that opportunity. And so on down the line.

Would be great for the players who decided to return. But then the junior who expected to become the starter at his position could miss out on that opportunity. And so on down the line.
I mean it’s not that hard, give every player an extra year. The schools have to pay for it. If someone redshirted in 2019-2020 let them redshirt again if they want or start their eligibility from where it was.

I mean it’s not that hard, give every player an extra year. The schools have to pay for it. If someone redshirted in 2019-2020 let them redshirt again if they want or start their eligibility from where it was.
All this for most players who are basically missing out on one game? It’s not like the whole season was cancelled....some teams were even done already. It sucks for the players, but they still got their season in.

All this for most players who are basically missing out on one game? It’s not like the whole season was cancelled....some teams were even done already. It sucks for the players, but they still got their season in.
This is asinine. The NCAA tournament is a massive part of “getting their season in” for the teams that qualify.

This is an especially curious argument coming from you; given the amount of times over the years you’ve referenced Chambers’ success in getting to the tournament, one would think you, of all people, would consider the NCAA tournament to be the most important part of the season.

Reactions: Sharkies and bmw199
This is asinine. The NCAA tournament is a massive part of “getting their season in” for the teams that qualify.

This is an especially curious argument coming from you; given the amount of times over the years you’ve referenced Chambers’ success in getting to the tournament, one would think you, of all people, would consider the NCAA tournament to be the most important part of the season.
But you can’t add extra years for players because the tournament was cancelled when most teams wouldn’t make the tournament anyway....that’s beyond asinine. It sucks but they can’t be giving fifth years and extra redshirt years and all this other garbage because 64 teams missed out on extending their season by a game or two. Please tell me you see that.

But you can’t add extra years for players because the tournament was cancelled when most teams wouldn’t make the tournament anyway....that’s beyond asinine. It sucks but they can’t be giving fifth years and extra redshirt years and all this other garbage because 64 teams missed out on extending their season by a game or two. Please tell me you see that.
What about Wrestlers? Individual sports. I think your response is heartless.

It sucks for all student athletes. I don't see a way you make exceptions. For example, Penn State Men's Hockey has 10 seniors. You cannot have 32 players on the team next season. Not to mention, it has a cascading impact on rising sr, jr, so, and incoming fr. It impacts all of their playing time, etc. It would cause more harm than good to let seniors return.

I feel sorry for all the seniors (basketball, hockey wrestling, etc), but feel the worst for Lamar. He seems like a very genuine person and meant everything to his team. Hopefully that NW game wasn’t the last time we see him play!
In college, yes. Sadly. Unless the NCAA decides to try July Madness... But I'm betting they won't. This is 1994 and 2005--for everyone.

Reactions: Sharkies
What about Wrestlers? Individual sports. I think your response is heartless.
Heartless? More like realistic. It would be different if they had to cancel the entire season at the very beginning....but the season was basically over. Many athletes don’t get to participate in championship tournaments....either they’re not good enough, they get beat and don’t qualify, they get injured, etc....and they don’t get a do over.

I am absolutely in favor of granting an extra year of eligibility to any of the spring sports athletes who have had their seasons cut way short, way ahead of any conference or national tournaments/playoffs, such as Lacrosse, baseball, softball, T&F, etc. Baseball, for example, played just 15 of a scheduled ~55+ regular season games. That, imo, equates to a season being cut short due to injury, and a redshirt season.

I feel very badly for the winter sports athletes who were still in the heat of competition in their sports, but I'm not sure an entire extra season is in proportion with the loss of the tournaments (anywhere from 1 to a max of 10ish contests per player or team), as important as they are to those players and teams. I cannot imagine the absolute heartbreak felt by our winter sports bball and hockey and wrestling athletes and teams as they had huge, very viable goals taken away through no fault of their own, and not by human error which could be reversed. Still, I can't see giving them an entire season in return.

But at some point you have to get back to normal numbers. The trickle down means fewer opportunities for others until things normalize. I’m not saying I’m against it. I’m just saying there is a lot more to it than just giving the seniors another opportunity.

On the brightside - this could have saved us from watching a frustrating loss vs. Indiana and then bowing out in an ugly way in the first round of the tournament... /s

treat every day like it's your last.

Treat everyday like it is your last and one day you’ll be right.

But at some point you have to get back to normal numbers. The trickle down means fewer opportunities for others until things normalize. I’m not saying I’m against it. I’m just saying there is a lot more to it than just giving the seniors another opportunity.
I think we've figured harder logistical problems in the past. If a kid wants to come back let them. Treat them as if they are a medical red shirt or walk on but the school can still pay for them. That way you limit the trickle down effect on future years.

I think we've figured harder logistical problems in the past. If a kid wants to come back let them. Treat them as if they are a medical red shirt or walk on but the school can still pay for them. That way you limit the trickle down effect on future years.

I'm not trying to argue with you. I'm pointing out the downsides. I'm sure it will all work out just fine either way.

If kids are allowed another season, will they be free agents (most will have likely graduated)?

Reactions: step.eng69
If kids are allowed another season, will they be free agents (most will have likely graduated)?
In my plan, which has no chance of being implemented unless the NCAA independently comes up with the exact same plan, no. I think the idea is the opportunity to finish out what you started at your school. Letting it be free agency would diminish the intent.

In my plan, which has no chance of being implemented unless the NCAA independently comes up with the exact same plan, no. I think the idea is the opportunity to finish out what you started at your school. Letting it be free agency would diminish the intent.

So if a kid wants his year back, it must be with his current school. He cannot transfer. That's sounding more reasonable. Would be insane if other schools could go over the scholarship limit to take in these transfers.

While I agree with the life isn’t fair viewpoint and can compare impact of Covid-19 favorably to that of WWII.

that said, why even have a limit to the number of years you can play college sports? Let’s say you do a legitimate BS and then PhD, it would take more than 4 or 5 with redshirt. Let this up to the student athlete and the school. Promise 4 years and then every year after must be mutually agreeable. The student athlete must be advancing towards a grad degree if going past 5 years though.

Welp NCAA moving on Spring sports already. Winter likely coming soon. Guess I’m not that crazy

Welp NCAA moving on Spring sports already. Winter likely coming soon. Guess I’m not that crazy
Don’t see it happening with winter sports. Think about all of the senior wrestlers that didn’t qualify for the NCAAs, senior basketball players on teams that were done with their season, etc. Can’t see it happening this late into those seasons.

Don't think an extra year should be given for winter sports no matter how bad I feel for all the athletes affected. Spring sports should absolutely have that opportunity.

The lesson is play every game like it's your last. There's no guarantee you get to play again. Feel terrible for all the seniors as well as the players on teams like Dayton or San Diego State who had that rare chance for their program to make a run at a national title. I know there's bigger issues in the world but this is a sports tragedy. This will sit with them their whole life.

Reactions: HazletonLion
I don’t see winter sports included. They have completed the regular season. Most players only lost a couple conference tournament games.

ADVERTISEMENT