ADVERTISEMENT

Lady Lion BB

GregInPitt

Gold Member
May 29, 2001
USC
They played well in many respects against Minny tonight, but although having more talent and more experience than in the recent past still don't play basic basketball to close out games. With a lead in the last moments of the game in regulation they foul a 3 point shooter then allow the points to tie the game. Then PSU scores with I believe under 2 seconds to play and fouls in the back court. All they had to do was not foul and they win. Then lose in 2 OT's. Just can't get out of their own way.........

I was expecting more from Coach K's team this season.

They played well in many respects against Minny tonight, but although having more talent and more experience than in the recent past still don't play basic basketball to close out games. With a lead in the last moments of the game in regulation they foul a 3 point shooter then allow the points to tie the game. Then PSU scores with I believe under 2 seconds to play and fouls in the back court. All they had to do was not foul and they win. Then lose in 2 OT's. Just can't get out of their own way.........

I note that they play about 6 seniors and 2/3 undergrads. Three of the six seniors are fifth year transfers, and will be gone next year. The 2023/2024 cup board appears to be pretty bare.

It would appear that we will be a low to mid talent team in 2023/2024, unless there are several 4 star HS recruits, or 3/4 transfer portal stars waiting in the wings.

Granted, Coach K took over a low to mid talent group of gunners from the dysfunctional previous coach, Washington, who seemed to have poor organization and disciplinary skills.

However, this is her 4th year and they keep playing the same clueless manner.

Coach Kriegs has been a deer in the headlights since coming on board. Why would you foul after taking the lead with under 2 seconds to play? That player should be banished.

Reactions: Yanks49
I happened upon the game while browsing during halftime of the Big and ACC championship games and ended up hooked. Regardless of the outcome, it was a very entertaining game with huge shots made by both sides.

Our #20 was a total baller, and 4s shot to force double OT is one of the best broken play clutch shots ever. #10 from Minny is clearly very skilled and came up big down the stretch and the OTs.

I missed the backcourt foul...but #33s foul at the end of regulation was a textbook bad play of leaping towards the shooter. She didn't play much after that.

I have only seen glimpses of our team since Washington left, and while the discipline and result weren't there, the entertainment value was. Hopefully they maximize their window of opportunity this year. I'll definitely watch again, and will likely actually seek out their games.

WBB along with MBB, baseball, etc, has been seemingly for decades (and much longer for the others) stuck in the mud and overall embarrassing B1G programs as an aggregate when u compare those 3 sports to other B1G programs. Kraft said (if I heard him correctly) And paraphrasing, that the programs at Penn state should be competing for championships. If so, that will be quite a long, arduous journey for these 3 sports especially

All I saw was the 2 LOTs. They tied the game with a couple of seconds left in the 1st OT. Damn if they didn't almost commit a foul on the inbounds pass 90 feet from Minny's goal !!

Saw the last five plus the OTs. Marisa is amazing …or she was just on last night. Dropping threes like crazy and making blind passes. But Minny at one point in the first OT was something like 25 out of 29 at the foul line. Lots of fouls called and an unbelievable percentage made. And we missed most of the foul shots that I saw. The foul line was where the game was lost.

Last edited:
Reactions: 87 Penn St8
I can live with crappy women's sports. Football and men's basketball are most important then wrestling and ice hockey. Women's volleyball is more interesting than women's basketball.

Football trending well
Men's basketball has a chance to be trending well soon
Wrestling is elite
Ice hockey is pretty decent

I'm mostly happy. Women's basketball is so far down the list that it's not a big deal

Watched enough of this game (alternated between UM vs Purdue, UNC vs Clemson and this - eventually settled on womens hoops) to say that there was plenty of blame to go around in the loss.

Ladies had a 10 point lead with 9 minutes left - blew the lead with poor movement without the ball and forcing shots as the shot clock expires. Come on, Coach K. Needed a timeout before the lead evaporated.

Minnesota focused on Marisa keeping her from getting the ball. Still need another guard to help. #4 looks like she can be that player, but she needs to be on the floor to help.

Minnesota WON the game at the foul line. PSU LOST the game because they put Minne at the foul line.

The foul with 0.5 seconds left on the clock, 80 feet from the basket, was inexcusable.

The foul on the 3 point shot was inexcusable.

This "senior laden" (if I read a previous post correctly) lost to girls who attended their senior prom last May.

Disappointing.

ADVERTISEMENT