ADVERTISEMENT

Lack of sports page coverage of NCAA wrestling ires a reader.

Class of 67

Jan 30, 2007
The following is a letter to the editor in today's Washington Post. While disrespecting the sport is uncommon in much of PA and other wrestling hotbeds, no coverage in a major paper like the Post is probably a reality across most of the rest of the US.

----------------

The 2015 NCAA Division I Wrestling Championships were among the most dramatic in recent memory, a tournament loaded with heartbreaks and heroics. There were Cinderella ascensions to the finals, dominant performances by returning medalists, overtime wins and first-period pins. It was everything enticing and inspiring that any sports fan should love.

Yet not a drop of ink was devoted to coverage of the finals in The Post's Sports section; online, just a few hundred words of bone-dry Associated Press recap. The world's oldest contact sport might as well trade in its singlets and headgear for Rodney Dangerfield's coat and tie.

I can't blame The Post. A pursuit of such staggering physical and mental challenge is a calling for its competitors, with a small, zealous fan base that consists overwhelmingly of those who've logged a bit of mat time themselves.

Still, maybe the paper can spare a couple of column inches for this cauliflower-eared sect next year? True, some have trouble hearing, but we still like to read.

Not a word in the Reading paper. Not even an AP recap.

If their market doesn't include a D-I program or a wrestler ...

competing in the tournament, chances are the paper isn't going to pay any attention. Not in these days of smaler sports sections

Hate to rain on your parade but nobody cares. More people care about amateur golf than wrestling

I'm not sure I buy that one. In any regard, we care very much about wrestling in this part of the country. In PA, wrestling is huge and deserves the appropriate coverage.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT