ADVERTISEMENT

Kudos to Pitt Band for stepping up for PSU

After the game, the Blue Band played the alma mater with the Nittany Lion players, coaches, and fans.

Then the Pitt band played their alma mater for literally no one (the Pitt players and coaches went to the locker room immediately after the end of the game).

There were zero Pitt fans in the stadium at that point, even in their student section.

While walking back to the car, we saw mainly Penn State fans and a handful of subdued Pitt fans.

So while a nice story, I am not sure that any protection was needed from hostile Pitt fans, since they had all went home by that point.

Last edited:
Yes! I marched with Dr. Brad Townsend in the Blue Band back in the early 1980s. Brad is a class act. He was assistant director at Temple for a short while as well.

Brad was a grad assistant when I was in the Blue Band in the late '80s. Good guy.

Reactions: ralphster
They were worried that Pitt's first string holder might show up and take a swing at a clarinet player.

Reactions: PSU Soupy
It’s sad that it takes a home team’s band to protect the visiting team’s band from the fans. Glad this series is ending.

It’s sad that it takes a home team’s band to protect the visiting team’s band from the fans. Glad this series is ending.

Pre-game, the Pitt band had a Penn State band leader direct them while they played the National Anthem.

That was a classy moment.

Pre-game, the Pitt band had a Penn State band leader direct them while they played the National Anthem.

That was a classy moment.

Too bad that during the game the Pitt football team couldn't have Penn State coaches coach them.

Reactions: AWS1022
So while a nice story, I am not sure that any protection was needed from hostile Pitt fans, since they had all went home by that point
The shield provided by the Pitt band jwas probably discussed prior to the game, needed or not.
Glad the action was taken. There are some real crazy mother .....ers out there in case you didn't notice. Not trying to be melodramatic, it's reality.

Brad was a grad assistant when I was in the Blue Band in the late '80s. Good guy.

Well that explains what is wrong with us. I too was in Blue Band from '89-'92, with Brad Townsend as a Grad Assistant for a year or two. Hmmmm.

Agree that he was well liked and respected.

I’m still trying to figure out how to fill a balloon with piss. First off, you’d need piss from multiple urinations to have enough (unless you water it down). But then what device do you use to fill the balloon? I guess drunk college kids might try some things I wouldn’t.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT