ADVERTISEMENT

Kolat in high school

Like to stir it up once in awhile, cant help myself. Never heard anymore about Wilderson after HS thanks for that info.
His name came up a few weeks ago. A few of us reminisced on how good he was. For me, it was his style; he was so brutal on top. He wrestled a style that I think would have transferred well at the NCAA level had things gone differently (i.e. 4-year program and right weight class immediately).

Yes he was tough one of his best matches i seen at states was between him and steve krouse i believe it was a semi or qrt match. They had very similiar styles and just went after it.

Kolat was the best high school wrestler I ever saw. I would go to States and by his sophomore year I made a point to watch his matches. I didn't read this whole thread but I remember his last match vividly and apologize if mentioned. The kid he's wrestling gets a single leg on him and the crowd leaves out a disbelief sigh that he might give up a takedown. Then he hits the scoring backflip ankle pick. The sigh turned into noise of awe and applause. It was a special moment.

Kolat was the best high school wrestler I ever saw. I would go to States and by his sophomore year I made a point to watch his matches. I didn't read this whole thread but I remember his last match vividly and apologize if mentioned. The kid he's wrestling gets a single leg on him and the crowd leaves out a disbelief sigh that he might give up a takedown. Then he hits the scoring backflip ankle pick. The sigh turned into noise of awe and applause. It was a special moment.
That sounds like some of the moments that occur during an everyday rag dolling.

Last edited:
Reactions: STAND with PRIDE
no doubt Jimmy was great just to bad he didnt use his talent the best way he could!He could have been better than Nate but oh well!

Well Kolat himself named Jimmy Carr the GOAT High School Wrestler in an interview on the topic. So there's that....

Well here's what Cary had to say on the topic - hit the following link: https://www.kolat.com/blog/the-goat-of-high-school-wrestling

Reactions: danoftw
Well Cary was a day or two old when Jimmy won his state title, so the assessment isn't from what he witnessed Jimmy do. More likely it's based on what he has read.
As a Midlands champ and an Olympian Jimmy achieved success at a high level.
Kolat is the best HS wrestler I have ever seen wrestle, and I saw Jimmy and Kolat both wrestle.

Last edited:
Reactions: baccafarmer
Well Cary was a day or two old when Jimmy won his state title, so the assessment isn't from what he witnessed Jimmy do. More likely it based on what he has read.
Jimmy Carr as a Midlands champ and an Olympian Jimmy achieved success at a high level.
Kolat is the best HS wrestler I have ever seen wrestle, and I saw Jimmy and Kolat both wrestle.

Okay, so you're saying Cary is the GOAT HS Wrestler, but doesn't know what he's talking about when assessing wrestling talent. You're clearly wrong that Cary has "never seen him wrestle" as Kolat linked a video of Jimmy representing the United States National Team in a World Cup match while still in High School. How do you figure watching videos of someone's matches is "never saw them wrestle"??? Cary has clearly seen many of Jimmy Carr's matches (both International Freestyle representing the US as well as Folk against top competition at the Midlands for example) - how you figure he hasn't when he says he did, and that Carr's style was a major inspiration to him that he emulated, right in his commentary on the topic, is really baffling. LMAO

Okay, so you're saying Cary is the GOAT HS Wrestler, but doesn't know what he's talking about when assessing wrestling talent. You're clearly wrong that Cary has "never seen him wrestle" as Kolat linked a video of Jimmy representing the United States National Team in a World Cup match while still in High School. How do you figure watching videos of someone's matches is "never saw them wrestle"??? Cary has clearly seen many of Jimmy Carr's matches (both International Freestyle representing the US as well as Folk against top competition at the Midlands for example) - how you figure he hasn't when he says he did, and that Carr's style was a major inspiration to him that he emulated, right in his commentary on the topic, is really baffling. LMAO
All of your babble doesn't change my opinion that Kolat was the best HS wrestler I have ever watched wrestle. GOAT? Don't know, I haven't seen them all wrestle.
Jimmy as a junior world champ, a Midlands champ at 17 and a US world team member and an Olympian Jimmy Carr was accomplished, yet struggled at the highest end of HS competition. Kind of tough to argue he was the greatest HS wrestler in PA history when his PIAA accomplishments say otherwise. Kolat picking Carr makes sense, especially considering picking himself wouldn't fit Kolat's personality.
However dude, please continue to babble your typical bulkshyt.

All of your babble doesn't change my opinion that Kolat was the best HS wrestler I have ever watched wrestle. GOAT? Don't know, I haven't seen them all wrestle.
Jimmy as a junior world champ, a Midlands champ at 17 and a US world team member and an Olympian Jimmy Carr was accomplished, yet struggled at the highest end of HS competition. Kind of tough to argue he was the greatest HS wrestler in PA history when his PIAA accomplishments say otherwise. Kolat picking Carr makes sense, especially considering picking himself wouldn't fit Kolat's personality.
However dude, please continue to babble your typical bulkshyt.
well Jimmy was good but not close to Kolat as a high school wrestler!but he had the best step over I ever saw he gave his leg up on purpose one they got it,it was all over he could turn that leg over and the kids was on his back just uncanny!

Of course he isn't going to say he is the goat he's too humble.

That video looks like Carr is wrestling the DuPont guy.

Of course he isn't going to say he is the goat he's too humble.
I have only the melodramatic tone of the Flo doc upon which to base this, but I’d say bruised more than humble. Being the GOAT, whether he knew the term or not, was his reason for existence. He’s still seemingly troubled by his failure to measure up to his pop’s expectations. One of the better cautionary tales highlighting the efficacy and sanity of the Cael mindset, IMO.

Yes. He played Moocher in both the movie and TV series.
Loved him as Rorschach
431b9c785c579b8f617b432454a1e8fc.jpg

And as Dukes
C7zL_GLWsAEF5C7.jpg:large

Any PA wrestling GOAT conversation should include Mike "Bobcat" Johnson of Lock Haven high school. 4X state champ, 84-0 career record and was never taken down. But for a serious knee injury, he most likely would have had an outstanding college career at Pitt.
Mr. Johnson was mid 60's. Not much if any video. I think our high school was his first job. Great guy. Should have paid more attention in the room. Calling him Bobcat resulted in a mild ass kicking.

Any PA wrestling GOAT conversation should include Mike "Bobcat" Johnson of Lock Haven high school. 4X state champ, 84-0 career record and was never taken down. But for a serious knee injury, he most likely would have had an outstanding college career at Pitt.
When I was a kid, Mike Johnson was the god of PA wrestling. I saw him win his last title in '61. He beat a guy I knew in the finals in '60, Dick Hamilton of Upper Darby. He was quick and powerful.
I saw his NCAA finals match in '63 when he was decked in OT. It was obvious he was gassed. And I couldn't figure out what he was doing wrestling 123. I was at the Lehigh-Pitt dual that year and he was beaten by Pat Smartt at 130. (My brother got slammed in the freshman dual that night and they took him to the hospital. His girlfriend was hysterical. I thought it was kinda embarrassing.)
Because I saw a couple of his college losses, I moderated my opinion of him in the GOAT category even back then.

But Joey Wildasin was mentioned above. I saw Joey throughout his youth and HS career. His style was so unique, so aggressive, that I started to change my coaching style to emphasis offense. Joey wanted to put you on your back, no matter what position he was in: top, bottom, standing--- he was trying to deck you.

Coincidentally, just like Johnson, I saw two of Joey's losses, though neither loss lessened my opinion of him. When he was 10 or 11, one of my wrestlers met him in the MAWA finals at Shippensburg U. He had a 100-0 record, my kid was 80-0. Between them they wrestled 180 matches in one season and won them all. Weird. My kid slipped a takedown by him and hung on for the win. Then in the PIAA finals, Joey lost as a freshman to Finacchio of North Penn in one of my favorite all-time PIAA matches.
If you are bored, here is something to add some excitement to your life:

btw, my kid who beat Joey when they were 10, met him in the PIAA finals about 7 years later. The result wasn't the same.

I just watched it again. There have been threads here about folk vs free. This match illustrates what can be generated by mat wrestling. You'll never see this in free.

I can't shut up. Finacchio's teammate who also won states that year (and 2 more years) was Chris Kwortnik. When talking pure high school wrestlers, Kwortnik and Kolat were in the mix for buttkickers of the century.

Here's Kwortnik vs Kevin Smith, Northampton. Smith was really tough till Kwortnik literally ground him down.

Last edited:
When I was a kid, Mike Johnson was the god of PA wrestling. I saw him win his last title in '61. He beat a guy I knew in the finals in '60, Dick Hamilton of Upper Darby. He was quick and powerful.
I saw his NCAA finals match in '63 when he was decked in OT. It was obvious he was gassed. And I couldn't figure out what he was doing wrestling 123. I was at the Lehigh-Pitt dual that year and he was beaten by Pat Smartt at 130. (My brother got slammed in the freshman dual that night and they took him to the hospital. His girlfriend was hysterical. I thought it was kinda embarrassing.)
Because I saw a couple of his college losses, I moderated my opinion of him in the GOAT category even back then.

But Joey Wildasin was mentioned above. I saw Joey throughout his youth and HS career. His style was so unique, so aggressive, that I started to change my coaching style to emphasis offense. Joey wanted to put you on your back, no matter what position he was in: top, bottom, standing--- he was trying to deck you.

Coincidentally, just like Johnson, I saw two of Joey's losses, though neither loss lessened my opinion of him. When he was 10 or 11, one of my wrestlers met him in the MAWA finals at Shippensburg U. He had a 100-0 record, my kid was 80-0. Between them they wrestled 180 matches in one season and won them all. Weird. My kid slipped a takedown by him and hung on for the win. Then in the PIAA finals, Joey lost as a freshman to Finacchio of North Penn in one of my favorite all-time PIAA matches.

btw, my kid who beat Joey when they were 10, met him in the PIAA finals about 7 years later. The result wasn't the same.

I just watched it again. There have been threads here about folk vs free. This match illustrates what can be generated by mat wrestling. You'll never see this in free.

I can't shut up. Finacchio's teammate who also won states that year (and 2 more years) was Chris Kwortnik. When talking pure high school wrestlers, Kwortnik and Kolat were in the mix for buttkickers of the century.

Here's Kwortnik vs Kevin Smith, Northampton. Smith was really tough till Kwortnik literally ground him down.
That’s some seriously great action in those old videos. Thanks for digging them up …. It helps the off season pass.

This mention of North Penn wrestlers:

reminded me of North Penn's first PIAA champ, Bob Hallman at 95 pounds in 1965. Saw him at Districts -- just an impressive wrestler, aggressive and constantly moving.

Was it a shock when Bono tied Kolat in the Dapper Dan?

This mention of North Penn wrestlers:

reminded me of North Penn's first PIAA champ, Bob Hallman at 95 pounds in 1965. Saw him at Districts -- just an impressive wrestler, aggressive and constantly moving.
Then you must have seen me, too. After Regions in '65, several D1 champs got together at Upper Darby HS to practice together. Bob at 95 and me at 103 and my brother at 112 among others. In truth I threw him around, but I was too big for him. He was compact but everyone knew he was a beast. I had a good friend wrestling for UD who Bob beat in the D1 finals. That kid went on to be National Prep champ (transferred to the Haverford School), then captain at Lehigh, then Hall of Fame coach at Trenton State, Dave Icenhower.
Bob Hallman beat him easily in the D1 finals, but Dave was one of those guys who never seemed to be concerned about the score. He was fighting his butt off till the end. I remember on my way to the mat for my final bout, I had to congratulate Dave on the match he wrestled against Bob Hallman. Dave had no quit in him. (Earlier in the year at the finals of the Upper Darby tourney, Dave beat the New Jersey state champ.)
So yeah, Bob Hallman was a great 2x D1 champ, Region champ, state champ.
And btw, wasn't his older brother like North Penn's first District champ?

I shoulda said, don't get me started. One more thing:
In that Wildasin match above, the announcer mentioned that North Allegheny seemed to have the tourney won but North Penn was the only team that could catch them. They did. North Penn/North Allegheny were co-champs. And I thought North Penn should have won. Kwortnik's older brother Jeff didn't place and he should have. In the first round he hammered a young Ray Brinzer, 16-6. But lost to a great Manheim Central kid, Scott Henry, and somehow didn't win through the consolations while Brinzer came back and placed 5th. Since Brinzer was from North Allegheny, that was what led to the tie in the team title.

Last edited:
Thanks for the memories, Old Cougar. I was just a guy in the room at Haverford Twp. (behind Ivan Bell) and moved to Harrisburg area Cedar Cliff to finish high school in 1968.

That was a good era for D-1 wrestling and D-3 as well, with Steve Paxson, Terry Williams, Andy Matter, etc.
One of my best friends, who I always went to States with pre-Covid, was on Steve Paxson's HS team. He was just plain mean. I heard that if people wanted to wrestle with him when he was in his 50's, he was still just as mean. My brother lost to Andy Matter by a point, I think, in HS.
Haverford wrestler Ray Bauer was a great wrestler, just too big for 180, too small for unlimited. Bob Funk was 2x state champ, and captain at Penn State. But the first time I saw him wrestle, Ray Bauer put a major hurtin' on him at the Upper Darby tourney finals. In the locker room after the match Funk was saying he had never lost like that before. After that, Funk never lost another high school bout. Funk could handle the big heavyweights, but Bauer couldn't

D

amn that was a good match. Never heard of either guy before

ADVERTISEMENT