ADVERTISEMENT

Kirk Ciarrocca - resume

The scheme changed, therefore how they block that front changes. KC and Traut changed the calls. If it's my offense, I tie my calls to my plays. Those calls would relate to play names. You are one impressive guy to determine if a player is playing with pride by watching on TV. Good for you!
naw they got the replays on BTN YOUTUBE etc. It never made sense to be why they have to change calls so 2 guys are comfortable as opposed to 15 (on the OL, let alone the whole offense), whatever just dont use it as an excuse.

so check this microcosm of the season in just this play, if you think PSU is playing with pride. Watch 40 take on this block (he is much better than this) watch 18 throttle it down, when he has a chance to make the play. There's 11 other guys would could use as well. Couple this with the rest of the season and what would you conclude? SMH

naw they got the replays on BTN YOUTUBE etc. It never made sense to be why they have to change calls so 2 guys are comfortable as opposed to 15 (on the OL, let alone the whole offense), whatever just dont use it as an excuse.

so check this microcosm of the season in just this play, if you think PSU is playing with pride. Watch 40 take on this block (he is much better than this) watch 18 throttle it down, when he has a chance to make the play. There's 11 other guys would could use as well. Couple this with the rest of the season and what would you conclude? SMH

We were discussing the oline, not the defense. As for the play of Toney, yeah, I'm surprised by his effort level. I don't related that to pride. That is desire.

We were discussing the oline, not the defense. As for the play of Toney, yeah, I'm surprised by his effort level. I don't related that to pride. That is desire.
I was talking team. Desire? pride? now we are splitting hairs. If you have pride in you and the program, then you will bring the desire.

I think Toney is dinged up. He's had to be helped off the field multiple times this year.

Not sure what kind of buzz you were looking for but Ciarrocca almost left to take the West Virginia OC job the year before and was widely reported to be 2nd choice for the Texas OC job as well. He stayed loyal to Fleck for quite a while - not sure that's a negative to be held against him.

Reactions: 81b&w and grinagrin
I give KC a pass this year. The offense looks every much the part of last years offense, and IMO it’s likely that maybe only 10% of his offense, if that much, has been installed due to lack of spring practice and the shortened summer pre-season practice time. It also doesn’t help that there was little experience at the skill positions with 2 freshman WRs and the loss of Journey and Cain. The players are most familiar with the preceding years offense, so they are pretty much stuck with that for the time being. Next year things better look different - that is improved before I consider his hire a bust. But for the HC, so far this season has been pretty much a clusterfudge and I don’t excuse him for that.

Actually, to be precise, the comparison is totally irrational. Regardless of the level KC has coached at over the years he improved the offensive performance of the players and offenses in which he coached.

I don't recall anyone refering to him as a genius or guru. MOOREHEAD ...yes and where is he now?
Offensive Coordinator at Oregon.

Actually, to be precise, the comparison is totally irrational. Regardless of the level KC has coached at over the years he improved the offensive performance of the players and offenses in which he coached.

I don't recall anyone refering to him as a genius or guru. MOOREHEAD ...yes and where is he now?

You might want to take a look at his years at Rutgers.

And that might be one of the biggest distractions thats been discussed.
Franklin said the whole false positive dilemma can be an “emotional rollercoaster,” and sometimes at practice they have graduate assistants filling in for coaches who may have had a false positive.

I actually think he’s done a pretty good job so far. The offense has moved the ball. Yes there has been some head scratching plays in the red zone for sure. But the bigger issue IMO, has been the play of the QB, untimely penalties, missed FGs and bone head decisions by Franklin.

I get a chuckle out of when people comment about resumes and where people worked or went to school. Some of the best coaches I've ever coached with never played in college, some of my best co-workers went to the smallest least known schools. Obviously he had success and was a good enough interview that he was hired and that's how it should be.

hmmm then why change the calls? Keep them the same. Blocking schemes changed dramatically? I haven't noticed that. What I have noticed is a team that doesn't play with any pride. And its as simple as that.
Sluggo if your pride comment is related to the O-line play (I see the perception of the lack of pride/desire in other areas) its cuz the OLine probably isn't sure of their blocking assignments thus slow play when you have to think...of course OLine in an RPO Run play is edge first then inside...its tricky and takes Reps Reps and more Reps....but still we should adjust the play calling accordingly as best we can....as fast as we can too..

Sluggo if your pride comment is related to the O-line play (I see the perception of the lack of pride/desire in other areas) its cuz the OLine probably isn't sure of their blocking assignments thus slow play when you have to think...of course OLine in an RPO Run play is edge first then inside...its tricky and takes Reps Reps and more Reps....but still we should adjust the play calling accordingly as best we can....as fast as we can too..
Not really directly at OL for the most part

I actually think he’s done a pretty good job so far. The offense has moved the ball. Yes there has been some head scratching plays in the red zone for sure. But the bigger issue IMO, has been the play of the QB, untimely penalties, missed FGs and bone head decisions by Franklin.
Probably doesn't help that until 1Q week one he was counting on having an experienced hammer at RB (Cain) for goal line situations.

Okay, I'll be the guy to throw this out here.

When KC was hired, many on this board went crazy with the anticipated heights that KC would be taking us to sooner rather than later. Sure, we saw his MN offense destroy our defense last year in MN. Then again, we've seen a lot of teams do that to our defense over the past few years. But if you remember that game, the MN offense took advantage of our weak secondary with a couple of their highly skilled NFL talented receivers and a qb who was very accurate - all in the first half. Then, their play calling changed in the second half, became very conservative, allowed us to catch up, and we probably would have won the game if it weren't for a terrible OPI call against us at the end of the game.

So, when KC was hired, I took a look at his resume. Maybe he is a great qb coach and maybe he is some type of offensive genius. I certainly understand the difficulties of trying to install his offense given the very real difficulties caused by lack of practice/instruction due to covid. I also understand the likelihood that he may have great "x's and o's", but he doesn't have the "jimmies and joes" to make it work this year at PSU. I'll give him an "incomplete" grade for 2020 with all the unusual circumstances. But take a look at his resume.

Is this the resume of a guy who is recognized by his coaching peers as some type of offensive genius? I mean, if he was as sharp as we hope for, wouldn't he have found some success in a "name" P5 program somewhere along the way? Did he ever produce anywhere that got him the buzz associated with guys like Tom Herman, Lincoln Riley, Joe Brady, etc.?

In the words of a guy we knew pretty well, maybe it's time to lower our expectations.

Coaching Career

2020-pres. – Penn State (Offensive Coordinator/Quarterbacks)
2017-19 – Minnesota (Offensive Coordinator/Quarterbacks)
2013-16 – Western Michigan (Offensive Coordinator/Quarterbacks)
2012 – Delaware (Running Backs)
2011 – Richmond (Quarterbacks)
2008-10 – Rutgers (Co-Offensive Coordinator/Quarterbacks)
2002-07 – Delaware (Offensive Coordinator/Quarterbacks)
2000-01 – Penn (Wide Receivers)
1996-99 – Princeton (Wide Receivers)
1994-95 – Western Connecticut State (Offensive Coordinator/Quarterbacks/Wide Receivers)
1993 – Delaware Valley College (Passing Game Coordinator/Wide Receivers)
1992 – Western Connecticut State (Passing Game Coordinator/Wide Receivers)
1990-91 – Temple (Graduate Assistant)

Nice call Mr. PSUFBFAN.

So, you still think Franklin is calling the plays....
Not!

Not a fan of this. Franklin needs to figure it out offensively and changing OC’s as frequently as he does is detrimental as we have seen. It’s so dysfunctional.

This guy will be gone in two years if he is successful. KC was more long term and to pin any of this years failures on him is as bad as firing Corley as a WR coach when he was hired as a RB coach.

And yet nothing on the defensive side of the ball. That’s where the changes need to take place. None of those guys are even B material right now.

If he's gone in 2 years hand it over to Bowen. He's shown to be capable so give him his shot.
I had hoped we might be able to eventually lure Joe Brady back at some point too but he's a red hot commodity right now. I think he's has at least 3 NFL head coaching interviews lined up. I don't see him returning anytime soon.

I had hoped we might be able to eventually lure Joe Brady back at some point too but he's a red hot commodity right now. I think he's has at least 3 NFL head coaching interviews lined up. I don't see him returning anytime soon.
Unless he takes a NFL HC job and really struggles don't get your hopes up. Like really don't get your hopes up.

Okay, I'll be the guy to throw this out here.

When KC was hired, many on this board went crazy with the anticipated heights that KC would be taking us to sooner rather than later. Sure, we saw his MN offense destroy our defense last year in MN. Then again, we've seen a lot of teams do that to our defense over the past few years. But if you remember that game, the MN offense took advantage of our weak secondary with a couple of their highly skilled NFL talented receivers and a qb who was very accurate - all in the first half. Then, their play calling changed in the second half, became very conservative, allowed us to catch up, and we probably would have won the game if it weren't for a terrible OPI call against us at the end of the game.

So, when KC was hired, I took a look at his resume. Maybe he is a great qb coach and maybe he is some type of offensive genius. I certainly understand the difficulties of trying to install his offense given the very real difficulties caused by lack of practice/instruction due to covid. I also understand the likelihood that he may have great "x's and o's", but he doesn't have the "jimmies and joes" to make it work this year at PSU. I'll give him an "incomplete" grade for 2020 with all the unusual circumstances. But take a look at his resume.

Is this the resume of a guy who is recognized by his coaching peers as some type of offensive genius? I mean, if he was as sharp as we hope for, wouldn't he have found some success in a "name" P5 program somewhere along the way? Did he ever produce anywhere that got him the buzz associated with guys like Tom Herman, Lincoln Riley, Joe Brady, etc.?

In the words of a guy we knew pretty well, maybe it's time to lower our expectations.

Coaching Career

2020-pres. – Penn State (Offensive Coordinator/Quarterbacks)
2017-19 – Minnesota (Offensive Coordinator/Quarterbacks)
2013-16 – Western Michigan (Offensive Coordinator/Quarterbacks)
2012 – Delaware (Running Backs)
2011 – Richmond (Quarterbacks)
2008-10 – Rutgers (Co-Offensive Coordinator/Quarterbacks)
2002-07 – Delaware (Offensive Coordinator/Quarterbacks)
2000-01 – Penn (Wide Receivers)
1996-99 – Princeton (Wide Receivers)
1994-95 – Western Connecticut State (Offensive Coordinator/Quarterbacks/Wide Receivers)
1993 – Delaware Valley College (Passing Game Coordinator/Wide Receivers)
1992 – Western Connecticut State (Passing Game Coordinator/Wide Receivers)
1990-91 – Temple (Graduate Assistant)
my only exposure to him was when Minny beat us. I loved the pattern where the WR ran a slant, if not there, if the S jumped the route, he turn to run a post and the S/CB were out of position covering the slant. you had to leave one of the two open. As far as I could see, we never ran that route once. I mean, hell, I can't recall any successful deep passes (what the ball in the air 30 or so yards).

it is as if he didn't install any of his offense at all and just ran the old O from Joe.

Chuckling still?
Yep actually I am. Because the guy that we just got graduated from a tiny D2 School in Western Pennsylvania. And just because of one change still doesn't mean my original statement doesn't apply guess all those guys who work their way up is GA's at division 3 schools shouldn't have been given the chance there either.

Not a fan of this. Franklin needs to figure it out offensively and changing OC’s as frequently as he does is detrimental as we have seen. It’s so dysfunctional.

This guy will be gone in two years if he is successful. KC was more long term and to pin any of this years failures on him is as bad as firing Corley as a WR coach when he was hired as a RB coach.

And yet nothing on the defensive side of the ball. That’s where the changes need to take place. None of those guys are even B material right now.

We don’t know why Ciarrocca was fired. It’s easy to assume that it was based on performance, but in a COVID. o_O year, maybe that wasn’t it. Maybe Ciarrocca and Franklin didn’t get along. Maybe Ciarrocca wasn’t a good fit with the players. We don’t know.

Reactions: bison13 and JoeLion
Yep actually I am. Because the guy that we just got graduated from a tiny D2 School in Western Pennsylvania. And just because of one change still doesn't mean my original statement doesn't apply guess all those guys who work their way up is GA's at division 3 schools shouldn't have been given the chance there either.

Maybe Franklin just decided yesterday that Ciarrocca had a bad resume and interviewed poorly. 😉

Reactions: bison13
I know it’s a tough business but the way the Corley departure happened and now this.... Franklin better watch it. You get a reputation in the business. Heck, Limegrover and Rahne were pushed... maybe even Parker. I know, I know Rahne and Parker left for steps up but... we’ll see how it all works out.

I was not the RR hater that many around here were but I was happy with the hire, I thought he would be an upgrade.
I"m not as enthusiastic about it right now. :(:oops:
What prompted this move after one season? A season in which the guy was given no spring, summer basically etc.. to jell with anyone, kind of a head scratcher to me.. Got to be more to this that meets the eye..

ADVERTISEMENT