ADVERTISEMENT

Kirk Ciarrocca - resume

PSUFBFAN

May 29, 2001
Okay, I'll be the guy to throw this out here.

When KC was hired, many on this board went crazy with the anticipated heights that KC would be taking us to sooner rather than later. Sure, we saw his MN offense destroy our defense last year in MN. Then again, we've seen a lot of teams do that to our defense over the past few years. But if you remember that game, the MN offense took advantage of our weak secondary with a couple of their highly skilled NFL talented receivers and a qb who was very accurate - all in the first half. Then, their play calling changed in the second half, became very conservative, allowed us to catch up, and we probably would have won the game if it weren't for a terrible OPI call against us at the end of the game.

So, when KC was hired, I took a look at his resume. Maybe he is a great qb coach and maybe he is some type of offensive genius. I certainly understand the difficulties of trying to install his offense given the very real difficulties caused by lack of practice/instruction due to covid. I also understand the likelihood that he may have great "x's and o's", but he doesn't have the "jimmies and joes" to make it work this year at PSU. I'll give him an "incomplete" grade for 2020 with all the unusual circumstances. But take a look at his resume.

Is this the resume of a guy who is recognized by his coaching peers as some type of offensive genius? I mean, if he was as sharp as we hope for, wouldn't he have found some success in a "name" P5 program somewhere along the way? Did he ever produce anywhere that got him the buzz associated with guys like Tom Herman, Lincoln Riley, Joe Brady, etc.?

In the words of a guy we knew pretty well, maybe it's time to lower our expectations.

Coaching Career

2020-pres. – Penn State (Offensive Coordinator/Quarterbacks)
2017-19 – Minnesota (Offensive Coordinator/Quarterbacks)
2013-16 – Western Michigan (Offensive Coordinator/Quarterbacks)
2012 – Delaware (Running Backs)
2011 – Richmond (Quarterbacks)
2008-10 – Rutgers (Co-Offensive Coordinator/Quarterbacks)
2002-07 – Delaware (Offensive Coordinator/Quarterbacks)
2000-01 – Penn (Wide Receivers)
1996-99 – Princeton (Wide Receivers)
1994-95 – Western Connecticut State (Offensive Coordinator/Quarterbacks/Wide Receivers)
1993 – Delaware Valley College (Passing Game Coordinator/Wide Receivers)
1992 – Western Connecticut State (Passing Game Coordinator/Wide Receivers)
1990-91 – Temple (Graduate Assistant)

When KC was hired, many on this board went crazy with the anticipated heights that KC would be taking us to sooner rather than later. Sure, we saw his MN offense destroy our defense last year in MN. Then again, we've seen a lot of teams do that to our defense over the past few years. But if you remember that game, the MN offense took advantage of our weak secondary with a couple of their highly skilled NFL talented receivers and a qb who was very accurate - all in the first half. Then, their play calling changed in the second half, became very conservative, allowed us to catch up, and we probably would have won the game if it weren't for a terrible OPI call against us at the end of the game.

So, when KC was hired, I took a look at his resume. Maybe he is a great qb coach and maybe he is some type of offensive genius. I certainly understand the difficulties of trying to install his offense given the very real difficulties caused by lack of practice/instruction due to covid. I also understand the likelihood that he may have great "x's and o's", but he doesn't have the "jimmies and joes" to make it work this year at PSU. I'll give him an "incomplete" grade for 2020 with all the unusual circumstances. But take a look at his resume.

Is this the resume of a guy who is recognized by his coaching peers as some type of offensive genius? I mean, if he was as sharp as we hope for, wouldn't he have found some success in a "name" P5 program somewhere along the way? Did he ever produce anywhere that got him the buzz associated with guys like Tom Herman, Lincoln Riley, Joe Brady, etc.?

In the words of a guy we knew pretty well, maybe it's time to lower our expectations.

Coaching Career

1994-95 – Western Connecticut State (Offensive Coordinator/Quarterbacks/Wide Receivers)

I was not the RR hater that many around here were but I was happy with the hire, I thought he would be an upgrade.
I"m not as enthusiastic about it right now. :(:oops:

You guys are so over the top. The guy has had a season where he had to install his offense on zoom. Got no spring practice, no summer workouts where coaches get to coach once per week, a disjointed preseason camp during school, a new offensive line coach that had the same challenges, a new receivers coach, same challenges. No chance to see the offensive players live. Give the guy a freaking chance. I'm not sure if he is good or not, but I think we all should let him prove himself in a normal environment before you recommend tossing him.

I would say the same thing about Coach Franklin. These are unprecedented times. People and programs are having impacts and different results across the board. To judge them in this environment is ridiculous. I'm pretty sure Franklin didn't forget how to run the program and coach in the last 8 months. The level of blame, the incorrect assessments of players and actions, the junior psychologists analyzing coach's mind and actions, making wild assumptions, level of hate toward both players and coaches, really needs to stop. Do you really support the program? How many of you have really stood on the sidelines and spent hours on the practice field coaching a team? Just because you sit on your ass on the couch drinking beer and watching football doesn't make you an expert on anything except how bad your beer farts stink. Coaching is a hard, mostly thankless job. I did it for many years because I love working with the young men and I love the game. Sometimes, it doesn't always go as planned. I always consider the Mike Tyson parable, "everyone has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." I'm quite sure that's how Franklin feels right now. I have seen many practices that he has coached and have had several conversations with the guy. Many of the things that are claimed or stated on this board are flat out false (lies) or made up to make people look smart or to stir up BS. I get it's the internet and that's how it works.

You guys that have been quoting Coach Paterno lately, trying this one on for size that Joe use to say, "I want your $0.02 not your two cents."

I will proudly say I support Penn State Football, players, coaches and staff. I'm more than willing to have give them an opportunity recover, even if it takes until next season.

Coaching Career

I honestly don’t believe that a football coach’s resume is an accurate predictor of future success or failure. These guys are constantly on the move as they climb the ladder, and often these moves are unplanned. Sometimes it’s just the uncertainty of the profession. As an example, Moorhead’s lack of a stellar big time resume bothered many people when he was hired, and he did a pretty good job here. Also Joe Brady virtually has no resume, and he’s considered a wunderkind. Plus how many guys spent years assisting great coaches and flopped when given a head coaching job.

Comparing the 'buzz' about guys who were hired to be the head coach at Oklahoma or Texas, or the guy who got an OC job in the NFL, to the guy who is the OC at PSU seems pretty dumb
Uhhhh .... do you understand the reasons those guys were hired as head coaches at those P5 schools was because they had reputations as very successful o-coordinators at their previous stops (Ohio State, Oklahoma, LSU, etc.)? Has KC's coaching career put his name on any list to become a head coach at any decent P5 school (ala Joe Moorhead)?

I know this sounds like I am bashing KC when I really don't mean to do so. I am really trying to "lower the expectations" for some PSU fans who think that he is going to magically take us back to the days of Joe Moorhead/Trace/Saquon.

If you want a guy who can call an 8 or 9 minute plodding offensive drive that results in a field goal when you are down by 17 points, he might be the man. But nothing in his background says we are going back to what we saw in 2016 and 2017 (yes, I know we had generational talent on the field which will be hard for KC to match).

He's been pretty well regarded since 2013 at WMU. I'm not sure what the purpose of this post is. Are we supposed to be criticizing him because he cut his chops at lesser known programs? His resume consists of more than just the places he's worked.

Reactions: psu1969a
maybe you're missing the parts where there are open WR's all over the field but the QB doesn't look past his first progression or throws the ball 5ft over said receiver's head...or the fact that they are playing with their 4th string RB after (Brown, Cain, and Slade), or that they have an ineffective HC at the moment.

Uhhhh .... do you understand the reasons those guys were hired as head coaches at those P5 schools was because they had reputations as very successful o-coordinators at their previous stops (Ohio State, Oklahoma, LSU, etc.)? Has KC's coaching career put his name on any list to become a head coach at any decent P5 school (ala Joe Moorhead)?

I know this sounds like I am bashing KC when I really don't mean to do so. I am really trying to "lower the expectations" for some PSU fans who think that he is going to magically take us back to the days of Joe Moorhead/Trace/Saquon.

If you want a guy who can call an 8 or 9 minute plodding offensive drive that results in a field goal when you are down by 17 points, he might be the man. But nothing in his background says we are going back to what we saw in 2016 and 2017 (yes, I know we had generational talent on the field which will be hard for KC to match).
Uhhhh do you realize those guys are getting paid $5M per year and KC is getting paid about 800k? Because we all do. No shit theres a difference. No one thought KC was Lincoln Riley or Joe Brady. It was a stupid strawman you created

You guys are so over the top. The guy has had a season where he had to install his offense on zoom. Got no spring practice, no summer workouts where coaches get to coach once per week, a disjointed preseason camp during school, a new offensive line coach that had the same challenges, a new receivers coach, same challenges. No chance to see the offensive players live. Give the guy a freaking chance. I'm not sure if he is good or not, but I think we all should let him prove himself in a normal environment before you recommend tossing him.

I would say the same thing about Coach Franklin. These are unprecedented times. People and programs are having impacts and different results across the board. To judge them in this environment is ridiculous. I'm pretty sure Franklin didn't forget how to run the program and coach in the last 8 months. The level of blame, the incorrect assessments of players and actions, the junior psychologists analyzing coach's mind and actions, making wild assumptions, level of hate toward both players and coaches, really needs to stop. Do you really support the program? How many of you have really stood on the sidelines and spent hours on the practice field coaching a team? Just because you sit on your ass on the couch drinking beer and watching football doesn't make you an expert on anything except how bad your beer farts stink. Coaching is a hard, mostly thankless job. I did it for many years because I love working with the young men and I love the game. Sometimes, it doesn't always go as planned. I always consider the Mike Tyson parable, "everyone has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." I'm quite sure that's how Franklin feels right now. I have seen many practices that he has coached and have had several conversations with the guy. Many of the things that are claimed or stated on this board are flat out false (lies) or made up to make people look smart or to stir up BS. I get it's the internet and that's how it works.

You guys that have been quoting Coach Paterno lately, trying this one on for size that Joe use to say, "I want your $0.02 not your two cents."

I will proudly say I support Penn State Football, players, coaches and staff. I'm more than willing to have give them an opportunity recover, even if it takes until next season.
There you go again spouting out logic! Just stop it! :p

I don't disagree with anything you said and I am sure you and the entire PSU coaching staff have forgotten more football than I will ever know. I am certainly not advocating for the dismissal of KC or any other coach.

The intent of my post was not to bash KC. If anything, it was to try and establish some reasonable expectations among the PSU fanbase. Someone elsewhere mentioned Joe Moorhead's resume. He was establishing record setting offensive performances in his last couple of stops prior to PSU with a unique offensive strategy including an ability to generate explosive plays. The reality is that is not the history of KC. Hopefully, the staff remains stable at PSU for the next few years and we will see what he can do.

Comparing the 'buzz' about guys who were hired to be the head coach at Oklahoma or Texas, or the guy who got an OC job in the NFL, to the guy who is the OC at PSU seems pretty dumb

Actually, to be precise, the comparison is totally irrational. Regardless of the level KC has coached at over the years he improved the offensive performance of the players and offenses in which he coached.

I don't recall anyone refering to him as a genius or guru. MOOREHEAD ...yes and where is he now?

KC got the job because he abused us last year. Just think, had we waited a year we could have had Marylands OC or Maybe IU.

Reactions: grinagrin
Actually, to be precise, the comparison is totally irrational. Regardless of the level KC has coached at over the years he improved the offensive performance of the players and offenses in which he coached.

I don't recall anyone refering to him as a genius or guru. MOOREHEAD ...yes and where is he now?

OC for Oregon

Tom Allen switched OCs, and he’s 4-0

Coaching Career

I brought this up recently and was of course shot down by most board members. The excuses and acceptance of mediocrity by most on this board amaze me. Young up and comers will eventually be recognized by top programs and get their chance. KC is a 55 year old getting his first chance with big time football. I would much rather give a young guy like Joe Brady, Kendall Briles, Kenny Dillingham, etc a shot.

Reactions: richie83
In time KC may be fine, but there's been some very questionable play calling. Yes execution is an issue especially with the play of the o-line, but the play calling deserves to be called out.

Reactions: psu00
I brought this up recently and was of course shot down by most board members. The excuses and acceptance of mediocrity by most on this board amaze me. Young up and comers will eventually be recognized by top programs and get their chance. KC is a 55 year old getting his first chance with big time football. I would much rather give a young guy like Joe Brady, Kendall Briles, Kenny Dillingham, etc a shot.
JOE
BRADY
ISNT
COMING
HERE

The guy is the offensive coordinator of an NFL team. Please, everyone, stop talking about him

I dont think Kendall Briles was or would ever be considered at PSU. He seems to be an excellent OC but you know Baylor and all.

Tom Allen switched OCs, and he’s 4-0
In talking with one of my former players who was a 4 year starter at IU he says that they made very little changes to offense including no terminology changes. Also, no changes to oline coach. I think that is one place that is really hurting us. The techniques, calls and blocking schemes have changed dramatically. The lack of spring and summer has really hurt Traut and getting his guys in a good place.

I think table stakes for evaluating KC is him having some semblance of the QB play needed to run his offense. The QB room is not in that league right now.

Great post covering a lot of areas and not just related to this thread but the last few weeks. Your assessment on all points are 100% correct.

I feel with all things considered we should be 2-2 but hey we got punched in the mouth in the 1st RD all 4 games.

My question to you is why are we 0-4?

In talking with one of my former players who was a 4 year starter at IU he says that they made very little changes to offense including no terminology changes. Also, no changes to oline coach. I think that is one place that is really hurting us. The techniques, calls and blocking schemes have changed dramatically. The lack of spring and summer has really hurt Traut and getting his guys in a good place.
One could argue we are still running the same putrid offense, as last season, no?

Because I'm on a very boring web based training that I've taken at least 5 times before, I decided to look up KC's teams stats when he was OC (at WMU and Minny). For comparison, I'd also posted the years before and years after.

YearPPGYards/gameYards/play
WMU (before)2012294395.8
WMU2013173274.7
WMU2014344386.5
WMU2015364916.9
WMU2016424816.7
WMU (after)2017343915.9

While there was a drop off after he left WMU, there was also a dropoff during his first year. This would be that this was his first time as OC, or it could be that it takes time to install his system.

YearPPGYard/gameYards/play
Minn (before)2016293575.2
Minn2017223094.9
Minn2018293805.7
Minn2019344326.4
Minn (after)2020294075.7

However, at Minnesota we see a similar thing. A slight drop off in year one, then improvement in year two and big improvement by year three.

I have no idea how this compares to other OC installs, but it may be unrealistic to expect big results in year one, especially in a weird year with no spring ball, a wacky offseason and no OOC games.

Great post covering a lot of areas and not just related to this thread but the last few weeks. Your assessment on all points are 100% correct.

I feel with all things considered we should be 2-2 but hey we got punched in the mouth in the 1st RD all 4 games.

My question to you is why are we 0-4?
I think the two major reasons are turnovers and execution. They are the killers of any team. The thing that the coaching staff has to try to prevent is the need to prevent the "oh here we go again syndrome." We have had 4 games where we got behind early or bad things happened early. You don't want to get the team into a space where they give up or downshift when it goes back with the expectation they will lose. Joe was great a not letting the team or coaches panic when something(s) bad happen. With a string of things now, the staff needs to work hard to prevent it. This team needs a couple of good things to happen, something positive and I think things could turn and turn quickly.

In listening to James' presser today I was shocked to hear we have had 39 false positives this year, more than any other conference team which has resulted in players and coaches missing practice. To do retests they are then having to drive them to Hershey thus delaying the response even longer. That is clearly not helpful needing a GA to step in in place of one of the 10 assistants.

Lastly, I agree there have been some bad coaching calls in both strategy and play calls. Why view is that I have not seen anything that i not fixable. It just will take some time. In listen to the presser, many of the things I put in my initial post were the same things James said today.

I suggest Urban Meyer as head coach, Matt Rhule as DC and Joe Brady as OC. Just call them and make it happen
Also tell them we’re going to pay them below the elite rate at which we expect their teams to play at, and their facilities are gonna be mediocre at best. Also no thugs, Success with Honor always. I bet I bet that sales pitch will go over great

hmmm then why change the calls? Keep them the same. Blocking schemes changed dramatically? I haven't noticed that. What I have noticed is a team that doesn't play with any pride. And its as simple as that.

hmmm then why change the calls? Keep them the same. Blocking schemes changed dramatically? I haven't noticed that. What I have noticed is a team that doesn't play with any pride. And its as simple as that.
The scheme changed, therefore how they block that front changes. KC and Traut changed the calls. If it's my offense, I tie my calls to my plays. Those calls would relate to play names. You are one impressive guy to determine if a player is playing with pride by watching on TV. Good for you!

ADVERTISEMENT