ADVERTISEMENT

Football Kiper has two PSU players in the first round

Yep, hard to fathom that so many NFL talent level players resulted in a 7-6 record. What was missing……….
OL and DL. Franklin just cant seem to pick good big men whether it's 2 star or 5. His projects never work out. Maybe he needs to throw out his theory of big heads and hands lol.
Really, he needs to get help in picking Offensive and defensive lineman from high Schools, he is just not good at it.

OL and DL. Franklin just cant seem to pick good big men whether it's 2 star or 5. His projects never work out. Maybe he needs to throw out his theory of big heads and hands lol.
Really, he needs to get help in picking Offensive and defensive lineman from high Schools, he is just not good at it.
Connor McGovern, Michael Menet, and Ryan Bates on Line 1.......

The line is an easy place to blame.....as well as the system.....I blame the RB's and say that our OL went really down hill after Sanders left and Slade was a flop. Our backs are too slow to hit holes and get north and south. Our back scare no defensive backfield to cheat down in to the box. If the coaches do the right thing and start Singleton with Ford as his back up right away we will be a better OL. If we continue to shove Lee out there you will see much of the same.

Reactions: LionDeNittany
Mel Kiper Jr. released his first 2022 Mock Draft today and had a pair of Penn State players going in Rd. 1. The first is Arnold Ebiketie, who he sends to Philly at pick No. 16. The second is Jahan Dotson, who lands in Miami with pick No. 26.

The entire first-round mock (pay wall) can be seen here: https://t.co/W4Ex7CW5ZA
Who the hell is Mel Kiper, Jr.?As far as that goes, who the hell is Mel Kiper, Sr.?

Reactions: Parkland Fan
It's hard to imagine our OL play being worse than when PSU S&C consisted of that nonsense HIT program in the later half of the 90s and early 2000.

Mel Kiper Jr. released his first 2022 Mock Draft today and had a pair of Penn State players going in Rd. 1. The first is Arnold Ebiketie, who he sends to Philly at pick No. 16. The second is Jahan Dotson, who lands in Miami with pick No. 26.

The entire first-round mock (pay wall) can be seen here: https://t.co/W4Ex7CW5ZA
Not that these things have much stock, especially at this stage, but I think I have have seen other projections that projected Brisker in the later part of the 1st round.

Neither is his offensive philosophy

Reactions: manilion
BFD. That's 3 draft picks in how many years?
Fries was drafted as well and I bet gonzo gets a usfl spot.

look I get it. I am just under the impression that this whole OL problem stems from our backs, not our line.

As a Dolphins fan, Parker & Fuller are likely out at WR, so Dotson beside Waddle would be a sweet combo. However, they need to address O-Line before going after a WR. QB maybe also...
You could spend years trying to figure out how to fix the dolphins. I would take Dotson with that 49er pick if he was there. The o line is a mess and so is RB, but with waddle you have something. Spend some money on two proven free agent o linemen while Tua is still on his rookie deal and address RB in the second and third round. Leave the defense alone.

Then the person can’t say Franklin has had 8 year?
Connor McGovern, Michael Menet, and Ryan Bates on Line 1.......

The line is an easy place to blame.....as well as the system.....I blame the RB's and say that our OL went really down hill after Sanders left and Slade was a flop. Our backs are too slow to hit holes and get north and south. Our back scare no defensive backfield to cheat down in to the box. If the coaches do the right thing and start Singleton with Ford as his back up right away we will be a better OL. If we continue to shove Lee out there you will see much of the same.
The scheme has to change before this team has success running the ball. Plays take to long to develop, not the running backs fault when they continually get hit in the backfield. Was a problem with Barkley, Sanders and Brown also.

The scheme has to change before this team has success running the ball. Plays take to long to develop, not the running backs fault when they continually get hit in the backfield. Was a problem with Barkley, Sanders and Brown also.
Don’t agree. All three mentioned could take it to the house from anywhere on the field. Lee and Cain explosiveness is 20 yards. Look at the stats. Pretty much same scheme and the three you mention blow the others away.
Offensive Problems in order of importance:

Slow Backs
Scheme
OLine

Obviously a terrible projection. Some of the experts on here say that Dotson is 4th or 5th round at best and will wash out in the NFL.

• Haha
Reactions: PSUQBKeeper
Fries was drafted as well and I bet gonzo gets a usfl spot.

look I get it. I am just under the impression that this whole OL problem stems from our backs, not our line.
The "whole OL problem" stems from our backs?

Not even close.

Our OL sucked even when Barkley and Sanders were in our backfield. As others have mentioned, scheme is a big part of it, but even the untrained eye could spot our OL getting bullied late in games when it mattered by the likes of Ohio State.

Granted, our RBs were not good last year. But you could have Derrick Henry back there and it wouldn't matter a whole lot without push up front.

The fact that Saquon even had the stats he did here speaks to how generational he was as a talent. Even then.......he never even managed to get to 6 yards/carry in any season here. Sanders was 5.8 yards/carry his breakout year. Noah Cain was at 5.3 his freshman year.

The "whole OL problem" stems from our backs?

Not even close.

Our OL sucked even when Barkley and Sanders were in our backfield. As others have mentioned, scheme is a big part of it, but even the untrained eye could spot our OL getting bullied late in games when it mattered by the likes of Ohio State.

Granted, our RBs were not good last year. But you could have Derrick Henry back there and it wouldn't matter a whole lot without push up front.

The fact that Saquon even had the stats he did here speaks to how generational he was as a talent. Even then.......he never even managed to get to 6 yards/carry in any season here. Sanders was 5.8 yards/carry his breakout year. Noah Cain was at 5.3 his freshman year.
Good points but I will agree to disagree. I guess we will see if Singleton makes me right or wrong.

Don’t agree. All three mentioned could take it to the house from anywhere on the field. Lee and Cain explosiveness is 20 yards. Look at the stats. Pretty much same scheme and the three you mention blow the others away.
Offensive Problems in order of importance:

Slow Backs
Scheme
OLine
Have to get to the line of scrimmage to make positive yards. PennState was killed all year by backs making in 3 to 5 yards a carry. Bad play design, our backs get the ball and the LBs are already on them from 5 yards deep. The opposing teams defenders are going 6 to 7 yards and our backs are just getting the ball. Not good. Blocking can only do so much. And one more thing, look at the three mentioned number of 2 yards or less plays. they needed big runs to make the stats look good. How many 3 down and less then 2 yards has this team failed to pick up. That says it all.

Have to get to the line of scrimmage to make positive yards. PennState was killed all year by backs making in 3 to 5 yards a carry. Bad play design, our backs get the ball and the LBs are already on them from 5 yards deep. The opposing teams defenders are going 6 to 7 yards and our backs are just getting the ball. Not good. Blocking can only do so much. And one more thing, look at the three mentioned number of 2 yards or less plays. they needed big runs to make the stats look good. How many 3 down and less then 2 yards has this team failed to pick up. That says it all.
Look dude, I am saying you have some great points. I just don't see it that way. Since Journey I see big, slow, plodding workhorse backs that put no fear in an opposing team of taking it to the house. Because of the lack of big play from the RB's a defense can play a base D and get to our backs. Therefore why I put system as my second problem. The system relies on the big play.....you cant get the big play when: 1. The backs have no break away threat and 2: the defensive backfield never has to cheat down because the backs have breakaway threat. Nobody is game planning to make sure Lee doesn't break big ones.

I guess my theory will get tested if Singleton gets the chance I think he deserves, or Holmes or Ford for that matter. Basically anyone but short yardage back Lee.

Look dude, I am saying you have some great points. I just don't see it that way. Since Journey I see big, slow, plodding workhorse backs that put no fear in an opposing team of taking it to the house. Because of the lack of big play from the RB's a defense can play a base D and get to our backs. Therefore why I put system as my second problem. The system relies on the big play.....you cant get the big play when: 1. The backs have no break away threat and 2: the defensive backfield never has to cheat down because the backs have breakaway threat. Nobody is game planning to make sure Lee doesn't break big ones.

I guess my theory will get tested if Singleton gets the chance I think he deserves, or Holmes or Ford for that matter. Basically anyone but short yardage back Lee.
When you rely on big plays to win the game your not going to be successful against above average teams. Maybe that’s why we haven’t beat any good teams over the last few years.

When you rely on big plays to win the game your not going to be successful against above average teams. Maybe that’s why we haven’t beat any good teams over the last few years.
Possible so, but it is also the reason we beat good teams 2016-2019.

Yep, and for the last 2 years that "strategy" has not been very effective against very average teams as well....... :oops: :oops: :oops:

I count three top 35 type wins in those years. Many more loses against the better teams.
Holy **** are you stubborn. You must be a blast at parties. 3 of those years we went to NY6 bowls, winning 2 of those and the third could go down as an all time rose bowl classic. Any team not name Georgia, bama, Ohio state, or Clemson would ****ing sell their left nut to have that kind of 4 year run.

Holy **** are you stubborn. You must be a blast at parties. 3 of those years we went to NY6 bowls, winning 2 of those and the third could go down as an all time rose bowl classic. Any team not name Georgia, bama, Ohio state, or Clemson would ****ing sell their left nut to have that kind of 4 year run.
That means what? Cincinnati did what this year and beat nobody! You play weak teams and you have a good record. Bottom line PennState beat nobody of relevance in the last 5 years. Thats why Franklin gets no respect in the polls. He has lost to more bad teams then he has better good ones.

That means what? Cincinnati did what this year and beat nobody! You play weak teams and you have a good record. Bottom line PennState beat nobody of relevance in the last 5 years. Thats why Franklin gets no respect in the polls. He has lost to more bad teams then he has better good ones.
OK, OK, you are ****ing right, geezus christ man. Off to ignore island you go.

ADVERTISEMENT