ADVERTISEMENT

Keystone Classic Tournament Thread

Asian with green eyes ... here ya go!

Sharbat_Gula.jpg
Captured by a Penn Stater, no less.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dogwelder
Where would the second string placed as a team? I am thinking in the 3rd or 4th slot but that is just a SWAG/TLAR approach.

Where would the second string placed as a team? I am thinking in the 3rd or 4th slot but that is just a SWAG/TLAR approach.
Quick math, and considering our 2nd highest finisher at each weight, they would have been around Harvard's 64 points, which was 7th place. Tough when there's 3 weight classes (165, 174, 197) where we had 0 points.

Quick math, and considering our 2nd highest finisher at each weight, they would have been around Harvard's 64 points, which was 7th place. Tough when there's 3 weight classes (165, 174, 197) where we had 0 points.
Thank Roar! I forgot about no back up at the 3 weights. Still a great showing for all.

I fully understand people wanting to slow the roll on RBY. I understand he hasn't faced anyone of consequence, he's a freshman, etc. I will say this, though. There were several instances on Sunday where he exhibited the calm and patience of a veteran, situations where less experienced wrestlers might have made rash decisions with worse outcomes. Maybe he could pick his spot because the kids he wrestled weren't great, but there is at least some indication that this kid could be in the mix come March.

Recaptured a few years back.

magazine.ngsversion.1471031428477.adapt.1900.1.jpg
That's what living in Afghanistan/Hell does to people (especially women). <I apologize if I offended anyone's socialogical sensibilities.>

And that’s why I’d encourage any man wanting to marry to take a good look at her mother.<I apologize if I offended anyone’s mother.>

I fully understand people wanting to slow the roll on RBY. I understand he hasn't faced anyone of consequence, he's a freshman, etc. I will say this, though. There were several instances on Sunday where he exhibited the calm and patience of a veteran, situations where less experienced wrestlers might have made rash decisions with worse outcomes. Maybe he could pick his spot because the kids he wrestled weren't great, but there is at least some indication that this kid could be in the mix come March.

Well said! It's always wise to keep expectations in check, but the data points from RBY's public appearances over the past 2 weekends suggest he's something special, even with the level of competition factored in. Couple that with some uncommonly strong words of praise for a greenhorn freshman from Cael and RBY's teammates, and there's a clear and rational basis for feeling very optimistic about this young man's potential this year.

Well said! It's always wise to keep expectations in check, but the data points from RBY's public appearances over the past 2 weekends suggest he's something special, even with the level of competition factored in. Couple that with some uncommonly strong words of praise for a greenhorn freshman from Cael and RBY's teammates, and there's a clear and rational basis for feeling very optimistic about this young man's potential this year.
yep, I agree. His test will come when he gets taken down.... and hopefully not ridden.

^^ This. I've been interested myself, in some of the takedown data for tournaments. JB sometimes offers totals during/after broadcasts, though I've never seen wrestler breakdowns...so total takedowns for a season, by wrestler, isn't available. Pretty sure the SID has the info, just not published.

Since I love stats, I went through and compiled data on the 10 current starters plus Verk and Nevills.

So RBY seems to have the motor, quickness and skill. What do you think of his strength? TIA

So RBY seems to have the motor, quickness and skill. What do you think of his strength? TIA

I haven't seen anything to suggest he's underpowered for a 133 or will get pushed around by the top guys in the weight class (he practices with Cassar!). But having said that, speed beats power/size and timing beats speed. RBY has already shown he has excellent speed and timing.

Reactions: pointingdogsrule
I haven't seen anything to suggest he's underpowered for a 133 or will get pushed around by the top guys in the weight class (he practices with Cassar!). But having said that, speed beats power/size and timing beats speed. RBY has already shown he has excellent speed and timing.

RBY is not only gifted but I think we can all say he is elite. He has timing, amazing speed, crazy athleticism, and is strong enough, ... but he has nowhere near the strength as someone like Voldemort.

As we all know strength is mostly overrated, and Cael breeds in 'wrestling' strength. tOSU in particular hasn't figured this out.

It is both a blessing and a curse that RBY will only see a couple of real tests before Big10s. He will continue to develop but I hope he doesn't hit the wall and lose some confidence when he runs into a series of top kids back to back where the funk won't work.

A good example was Nick Lee last year vs a true tactician like McKenna who simply doesn't make mistakes, never gets out of position,... Nick was the aggressor that whole match and looked like he would win until he didn't. In fact all of Nick's loses last year except vs Yanni, where one's he probably could have won without mistakes and sloppiness. It's unfair to expect to much from a true freshman. Its going to be great to see if Nick jumps a level this year. He still is slightly sloppy but I like what I am seeing and he looks stronger, confident and more consistent so far.

To expect RBY to take out any of the top 4 this year is asking a lot. Especially as a true freshman. For every Yanni that shocks the world, there is a Zain who as a true frosh fell a little short only to become a PSU GOAT and double Hodge.

No matter the outcome and progression this year RBY has shown he is a keeper and has very special and rare attributes. He and Brooks are going to be the tonic that pulls me out of my Nolfless deep depression next year.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT