ADVERTISEMENT

Keystone Classic thread

Gotta go with Cassar as the starter...he’s earned it more than once...
Yeah, after watching that I've got to go with Ceasar at least until Scuffle and hopefully longer. Was able to score when needed, able to get out without a problem and Cutch is good on top. Hopefully last week was just a blip making weight as Cael said.

I got the feeling that if they weren't teammates and Ceasar wasn't so tentative early it might have been a bigger margin of victory. I'm back on the Ceasar wagon.

Yeah, after watching that I've got to go with Ceasar at least until Scuffle and hopefully longer. Was able to score when needed, able to get out without a problem and Cutch is good on top. Hopefully last week was just a blip making weight as Cael said.

I got the feeling that if they weren't teammates and Ceasar wasn't so tentative early it might have been a bigger margin of victory. I'm back on the Ceasar wagon.
All Hail Raptor!;)

Did I miss an inside joke or something? Is there a reason you call him Ceasar? Or is that his real nickname?

Agree 100%...

Good to have you back. I saved you a seat, and LP kept it warm.

Reactions: dicemen99
Did I miss an inside joke or something? Is there a reason you call him Ceasar? Or is that his real nickname?
3a08ae0ba36efaa908cb22e699ea487f361ac9e2136522468364f9c56deb6f02.jpg

Per tikk10:

The eagerly awaited Raptor Mouse showdown.
Tie up, no real offense from either after a minute.
Still no shot two minutes in. Gotta think the inactivity favors Cutch.
No shots, no score, Cutch defers, Cassar takes down to start 2nd.
Cassar gets right out, maybe addressing that getting rode question.
Cutch shoots, gets 2, lets him go, Cassar doubles him, 4-2 Cassar.
Cutch gets away 4-3 to end the 2rd, but will start down in 3rd.
Cutch gets away 4-4, riding time not an issue.
Whoa, Cassar gets a double, but Cutch points to his headgear, gets awarded a point.
Cassar goes and gets the double on the edge. Rides out, 6-5 final.

Reactions: PSUisawesome
Could someone provide a brief summary of scoring in 197?
0-0 first period where nobody even took a half shot

Ceasar takes down in the 2nd. Quick escape 1-0. Cutch with one of his patented low ankles. 1-2. Quick escape and blast double for Ceasar, 4-2. Cutch escape.

Cutch takes down. Quick escap 4-4. About a minute to go Ceasar hits a nice TD but Cutch complains after he is down and the ref concurs and awards Cutch a penalty point for headgear pull. 4-5. Ceasar in again, Cutch fends off. Ceasar again in and takes Cutch down with about 10 or 15 to go. Cutch complains about headgear pull again but ref is not buying it. 6-5 Ceasar.

Giannangeli and Finesilver were tied at 2 but Finesilver was better able to convert a late scramble and wins, 4-2.

Luke Gardner down 4-2 in second to Fluri, RIder.
4-3 now, but Gardner can't convert after getting in on a leg.
Fluri down to start 3rd, E1 makes it 5-3.
Gardner chases but can't make anything work. Final 5-3, Gardner done.

Van Cura against Clothier App State, looked like he had a TD but ref says out of bounds. 0-0 late first.
Clothier escapes to start 2nd, up 1-0.
Van Cura escape to start 3rd, tied 1-1.
Van Cura tries two unsuccessful neck snaps into go-behinds. Seemed headed to OT.
SV time: Clothier came out on top of a scramble started by Van Cura, who really wrestled great today. 3-1.

Last edited:
Cassar wrestle Mattiace next and should be a good test for him.
Hope not. Mattiace will attempt to turn it into a snooze fest but Ceasar should dominate in neutral. Mattiace is decent on top though so you may have a point.

Cassar's inconsistency being the loss in his second match back after a two-plus year injury layoff? Or some other loss that hasn't happened yet?

He lost to a backup. He had no concept of the time or what he needed to do in the match. Cutch doesn’t lose that match and Cutch is proven to get to Rd 12 and should make podium this year. Cassar has some nice offense when he gets to it and I’ll root for whoever they throw out there. That being said I’d be more comfortable with Cutch

Let me see Cassar handle Mattiace and I’ll feel better about Cassar

Cassar's inconsistency being the loss in his second match back after a two-plus year injury layoff? Or some other loss that hasn't happened yet?
I take it to mean consistency within a match.

When Cassar made his freestyle match, Cael commented (paraphrasing) that Cassar has a ton of offense on feet but needs to remind himself to pull the trigger.

Saw some of that today. Cassar waited a period to get his offense going. Once he did, he looked good.

I feel bad for Cutch. I think Cassar has his number but I feel Cutch is the mores consistent wrestler. That’s why they pay Cael the big bucks
guess it is how you define consistency. Cutch's go to move is the low single... he can be hard to watch as it leads to a lot of stalemates. He's got seniority... just like Morelli. Will be fun watching them both at the scuffle. Thinking about making that trip.

He lost to a backup. He had no concept of the time or what he needed to do in the match. Cutch doesn’t lose that match and Cutch is proven to get to Rd 12 and should make podium this year. Cassar has some nice offense when he gets to it and I’ll root for whoever they throw out there. That being said I’d be more comfortable with Cutch

Don't know if that's entirely fair. Hoffman is a returning national qualifier but did not wrestle off for the 197 lb job. Was planning to shirt this year and participated at wrestleoffs at 285 just to get Chakonis a match (and won).

That said, yes, Cassar should have won that match. Kinda like Subjeck and Brucki last year.

If PSU were going into BIG10's next week, I'd go with Cutch too, because of his experience and we know he's on the cusp of AA. But it's November, and as someone mentioned before, I happen to think that Cassar will improve a TON in the next couple of months. Let's not forget how little he's wrestled at this level. I, like many of you, am really looking forward to the Mattiace match. Should give us a better idea of where he's at, on November 19th.

McCutheon beat Mattiace twice last year and Wilcke beat him out of NCAA's last year so should be a good gauge. Mattiace did major Ben Darmstadt earlier this year so he may have improved.

ADVERTISEMENT