ADVERTISEMENT

Keystone Classic thread

My takeaways.
Zain looked dominant as usual. His final was maybe closer than some expected but it was still total domination. Deakin was never close to scoring an offensive point. That said, I believe Deakin might be the second best kid at 149. He is massive (made zain look small), good gas tank, can get to legs especially with his single to opponents right leg, and looked solid on top. Zain is just on another level from everyone else.
Nolf did Nolf things. He is my favorite wrestler in the country with a couple of his teammates close behind. His movement is crazy and sometimes even looks like he confuses himself. Shows just how dominant he is that being in the finals of a tough tournament he literally played around and tried new things. Who takes top only to go optional start and kick him for an escape giving him a free point?!?! Never seen it done before and then at the end of the match he stood straight up daring the kid to take a shot. He did and Nolf promptly cradled him up and put him away. Absolutely electrifying performance!!
Marky mark put on his usual dominant performance. I’ve always believed that if he opens up on offense he is better than everyone including Zahid. He is just so good defensively he sometimes sits back and relies on his scrambling to score points. In this tournament though he did open up and was awesome to watch. His double overs in the final was beautiful.
Bo was arguably the most dominant of all. He seemed to be about 4 steps ahead of every opponent and put on a display of wrestling that was breathtaking to watch. He is so fun to watch and if you blink the match might be over. I don’t see anyone coming close to him this year. The only way he loses is if he makes a mistake.
Nevills has impressed me and seems to have jumped a level. Most impressed with his top game which could be big in a match with Snyder. I think he is probably the 2nd best hwy at this point with Coon being right behind him. Excited to see him match up with Coon and Snyder.
Cortez has done what he needs to do but hasn’t looked overly impressive in my estimation. I think Nick Lee needs to go this year especially if he is beating Cortez as bad as the rumors say he is. 141 is deep and I don’t see Cortez placing. With Lee I see him being in that 4-8 range which is big points in the team race. Of his 2 losses I see him reversing the result against Clarion but I think Yianni is on a little different level. I actually think Yianni is going to win it all this year.
Not sure about Keener yet. Has looked solid but I really wanted to see him against DeSanto. His match against Lehigh will give us a better idea where he is at.
Cassar and Cutch is an interesting one. At this point I think you have to go with Cassar. His offense is on another level but he has to start believing in it and open up. If he does than he is an AA. Cutch is the safe play but with tOSU lurking this is not the year to play it safe. Shoot for fences and put in the kid with the biggest chance to score big at NCAA’s which I think is Cassar. His double is a thing of beauty.

Cassar and Cutch is an interesting one. At this point I think you have to go with Cassar.

Agree-Cutch did not look at fit as he has in the past and I was impressed that Cassar seemed to sense that and pushed the pace in the second part of the third period.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT