ADVERTISEMENT

Kentucky Basketball Recruiting

Agree. I've lost interest in college basketball because a) the regular season is almost meaningless with 68 teams getting into the tourney and b) I have no idea who the players on the best teams are because most of the good ones are gone in two years.

Having said that, college is to prepare kids to be able to live a meaningful life and make a good living. These kids from K, will probably make more than everyone on this board combined.

So I can't complain that the rules have eroded my ability to enjoy college basketball.
Yeah, they'll make a lot of money and that's great. My beef is that college shouldn't be a part of the process. They can declare after their senior HS season and either get drafted, sign as a free agent, go overseas or play in some paid development league.

Reactions: step.eng69
Yeah, they'll make a lot of money and that's great. My beef is that college shouldn't be a part of the process. They can declare after their senior HS season and either get drafted, sign as a free agent, go overseas or play in some paid development league.
I would agree with that approach. But as it is now, I have no problem with the approach guys like Cal and K are taking. If you're the basketball coach you might as well recruit the best basketball players.

To its credit, the NBA is working on a minor league system. The D-league (now G-league) seems to be expanding so that every team has a farm team.

Pro basketball and football have used the colleges as developmental leagues for my entire lifetime. The rise of professional games has IMO lessened any notion of athletic student.

To its credit, the NBA is working on a minor league system. The D-league (now G-league) seems to be expanding so that every team has a farm team.
How many of these D league kids are ever going to move up ? Few. I like Alex Poythress from KY , he had a few injuries to slow him down, did well in his brief stint with the Sixers. But I can't imagine many late bloomers.

How many of these D league kids are ever going to move up ? Few. I like Alex Poythress from KY , he had a few injuries to slow him down, did well in his brief stint with the Sixers. But I can't imagine many late bloomers.

Well Tim Frazier, for one. Stood out in the D-league and now established in the NBA. Signed as the backup to John Wall in Washington.

If the "one-and-done" players started coming into the G-league out of HS, the one-and-dones in college would be over. Teams would actually be paying the players to join their development system. I think every team except for Denver and Portland has a current or planned G-league team. Once there is a G-league team for every NBA franchise, they should drop the age minimum include extra rounds in the draft for staffing the G-league.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT