ADVERTISEMENT

Kentucky Basketball Recruiting

Not sure if the "one and done" actually does what the NBA wanted. THEY mandated the rule so THEY could get a better look at the kids coming out of HS. Is it working? Just seems to me it is NOT since just about ALL of the top picks are freshmen. So what is the difference if they had drafted them right from HS (they are the same top players). To me the only difference is that THEY made a joke out of NCAA BB. I used to have little respect for Calipari, but his stated goal is to have the kids "practice" for a year then off to the NBA. If they do not go after year one, he admits he has failed that kid. So, he is doing the right thing is a ridiculous system.

No, dawg, I think it is working reasonably well, at least from the NBA's perspective. They do learn a lot about a player after one year of top college competition, and the kids are more ready for the pros. It is certainly not an ideal situation for college basketball, but the NBA seems content with it, and currently not looking to change it.

Spellman qualified academically. It was a ridiculous NCAA rule that kept him off the playing team.

That does not dispute my point. They have NO depth. Jay does not use all his scholarships. Jay used 11 and had 2 scholarships in his pocket. Of his 11 he had two projects that did not play. As soon as he had an injury and when Spellman did not qualify he had ZERO depth. Pretty dumb. That would be like PSU football only using 75 of the available 85 scholarships.

That does not dispute my point. They have NO depth. Jay does not use all his scholarships. Jay used 11 and had 2 scholarships in his pocket. Of his 11 he had two projects that did not play. As soon as he had an injury and when Spellman did not qualify he had ZERO depth. Pretty dumb. That would be like PSU football only using 75 of the available 85 scholarships.
It takes eight to compete for the ring. You're overlooking the loss of Booth early on. Delaney was definitely a miss. Painter may contribute minutes and fouls taken next year and more the following one. Jay sees an upside with Painter. I'm not so sure but they just have to continue to coach him up -- footwork mostly. I have basketball friends in south Jersey who were dumfounded by the Delaney scholarship.

Villanova played with seven last year plus minimal help from Painter. This season Painter and Cosby-Roundtree are gonna have to spell Spellman when Jay's not going small.

I still see them as a top ten team next year given a healthy squad, especially Spellman. No sense in arguing with me cause I'm not gonna budge. Spellman, Brunson (maybe), Bridges and DiVincenzo are future NBAers. I expect Donte to blow up this season.

What do most/all of these Kentucky players want to do for a profession?

Medicine? Law? Architecture? Business? Engineering?

No. They want to play in the NBA.

Cal prepares them to be successful in their chosen profession.

When Anthony Davis was 23 he signed a $149 M contract. That doesn't include endorsements.

John Wall is 26. He makes $17 M this season; more in each of the next two. He has already made $54 M.

DeMarcus Cousins is also 26. Made $17 M this season.

Eric Bledsoe is 27. After two more (guaranteed seasons) he will have made $75 M aggregate.

Michael Kidd-Gilchrist is 23. After three more seasons he will have made $72 M.

Many successful people were college dropouts:
  • Michael Dell, Dell founder, dropped out at 19
  • Steve Jobs, Apple founder, dropped out at 19
  • Bill Gates, Microsoft founder, dropped out at 20
  • Evan Williams, Twitter co-founder, dropped out at 20
  • Mark Zuckerberg, Facebook founder, dropped out at 20
  • Larry Ellison, Oracle founder, dropped out at 20
  • Jan Koum, WhatsApp founder, dropped out at 21
  • Travis Kalanick, Uber founder, dropped out at 21
  • John Mackey, Whole Foods founder, dropped out at 22

3-4-5 seasons of college is not for everyone.

It takes eight to compete for the ring. You're overlooking the loss of Booth early on. Delaney was definitely a miss. Painter may contribute minutes and fouls taken next year and more the following one. Jay sees an upside with Painter. I'm not so sure but they just have to continue to coach him up -- footwork mostly. I have basketball friends in south Jersey who were dumfounded by the Delaney scholarship.

Villanova played with seven last year plus minimal help from Painter. This season Painter and Cosby-Roundtree are gonna have to spell Spellman when Jay's not going small.

I still see them as a top ten team next year given a healthy squad, especially Spellman. No sense in arguing with me cause I'm not gonna budge. Spellman, Brunson (maybe), Bridges and DiVincenzo are future NBAers. I expect Donte to blow up this season.

Jay made a mistake by NOT recruiting a center the year before last. No one is perfect :) Booth would NOT have made the difference, in my opinion. You need a "decent" (imagine if they had our Watkins kid) big to rebound, protect the rim and score a few "inside". Facing a team with decent size early in the tournament was their undoing.

Jay made a mistake by NOT recruiting a center the year before last. No one is perfect :) Booth would NOT have made the difference, in my opinion. You need a "decent" (imagine if they had our Watkins kid) big to rebound, protect the rim and score a few "inside". Facing a team with decent size early in the tournament was their undoing.
They lost by three to an under-seeded team that happened to have good players at the rim. It was a bad matchup for them. It's over. I'm looking at Nov. 2017.

Booth put up 20 against UNC. That's a difference maker. Booth, a starting guard, was a big loss and to say otherwise is foolish, in my opinion.

Reactions: TheGLOV

When Anthony Davis was 23 he signed a $149 M contract. That doesn't include endorsements.

John Wall is 26. He makes $17 M this season; more in each of the next two. He has already made $54 M.

Eric Bledsoe is 27. After two more (guaranteed seasons) he will have made $75 M aggregate.

Yes, BUT the "purpose" of a University is education, maybe? There should really be a league for NON-students similar to MLB (don't say the d-league). The same should be for football. Far to many kids in "college" that are there ONLY to "play" sports. I DO NOT blame the kids, what choice do they have?
But "it is what it is" $$$$$$$$

They lost by three to an under-seeded team that happened to have good players at the rim. It was a bad matchup for them. It's over. I'm looking at Nov. 2017.

Quite right. But they had an amazing year given the circumstances. AND as we all know hindsight is "20-20".

Reactions: artsandletters

The huge difference is that the UK players you mentioned went to college to showcase their basketball skills to their future employers and nothing else. Typically, I guess, they completed one semester of college. It's a sham. So please stop with the Gates, Dell, Zuckerberg et al comparisons.

Yes, BUT the "purpose" of a University is education, maybe? There should really be a league for NON-students similar to MLB (don't say the d-league). The same should be for football. Far to many kids in "college" that are there ONLY to "play" sports. I DO NOT blame the kids, what choice do they have?

I didn't go to college for an education. I went to earn a degree to get a job to make a living.
Really, other than the paycheck, it's not much different than what the one and done players are doing.

They should limit classes to 4 guys per year.

That's it.

Kentucky recruiting 2013-17
24 5Stars
5 4Stars
3 3Stars
What if a non evil school that doesn't have one and comes graduates 4 guys, 2 guys transfer, and 1 guy gives up basketball?

What can we do to help Rutgers football get some of the 4 star guys Penn State is pulling in? You know, to make it fair.

I think most go to college to get a job. I would have quit in a heartbeat if someone came along and showed me a 3 million dollar check. Hell I'll quit my current job if you have a check like that I can cash. People just love to hate on Cal and UK because he is cocky and is being very successful right now. You all should know that hate because you had an historical great football coach, but took some backlash a few years back.

The guy that says UK has no big time players in the NBA, well he is just nuts and his avatar even talks about jealousy with his Steelers avatar. UK has like 10 of the top 100 players in the NBA right now, and that is saying something. Cal does develop them and there have been other top 10 high school recruits go to other colleges and have not made it. UNC has had several of them recently, Bragg at KU this year and last was top 10 talent, etc. Cal gets the kids to learn to be unselfish, rebound with 2 hands, play hard, play defense, communicate, etc, and even works with them on how to give back to communities and others and not waste what was given to them talent wise. They talk about money management and all of that stuff that killed kids years ago that left early.

So people can hate and Cal hasn't won a title every year at UK, but just about every year people are talking about UK in the tourney.

Time will tell.

Sam Bowie was projected to be a 'can't miss' prospect as were other Kentucky 'stars'.

Sam Bowie broke his leg TWICE dude. His career was over after the second. Typical Steeler's fan being hardheaded (yes I know a few of you).

Dampier played one year in the NBA. The rest of his career was played in the league that used recycled balls from circus seal acts.
I would put Dampier up against anyone you can name when it comes to outside shooting.....anyone!

The huge difference is that the UK players you mentioned went to college to showcase their basketball skills to their future employers and nothing else. Typically, I guess, they completed one semester of college. It's a sham. So please stop with the Gates, Dell, Zuckerberg et al comparisons.

You're right. It's a guess...and you're wrong.

The only UK one-and-done that dropped out after the 1st semester was Daniel Orton.

"Stop" because it doesn't support your misguided stance.

They're all college dropouts...and they're all millionaires...many times over.

Last edited:
Reactions: Stonewall12
I didn't go to college for an education. I went to earn a degree to get a job to make a living.
Really, other than the paycheck, it's not much different than what the one and done players are doing.

So you went to college to get a degree but got NO education ??? Odd ????? I may have missed out on that. I guess it's just a matter of having a good printer :)

Yes, it is quite different if you go to a "vocational" school. Sports is a "vocation". Just a skill, nothing more :) Of course that is an over simplification, but hopefully :)

The only UK one-and-done that dropped out after the 1st semester was Daniel Orton.

Actually it's not even that bad. Orton didn't drop out after 1st semester. He took classes during the season (including 2nd semester) but simply failed to finish out the last few weeks of classes after the season was over. (If you remember he went out to California to train for the NBA draft during that time.)

Some schools it may be possible to stop attending classes and still play basketball but it doesn't work that way at UK.

Reactions: Stonewall12
I am kinda late on this first let me say about 98% of schools would be thrilled to list Larry Bird as their claim to fame ! I am not sure on one and done. are we selfish because we like the college game? I went to High School with Shawn Kemp He was a phenom before we really knew what phenoms were and he was one . I don't know if college would have helped him ? Likely not better guidance? Likely Everyone is not made out for college and not just intelligence or athletes . Some people just aren't made for it , I wasn't and have done just fine in life!

"Stop" because it doesn't support your misguided stance.

They're all college dropouts...and they're all millionaires...many times over.
So they spent two semesters in college according to your info. You failed to address my main point. College served as a showcase for their future employers. College is not the proper vehicle for that. Football has a much more reasonable and sensible set of rules, i.e., three years from their high school graduation. It's conceivable and fairly common for a college football player to complete his course load and graduate in three years.

One and dones are bullshit, a disgrace to the universities that encourage them, especially UK who does it almost exclusively. Start a futures league. NCAA basketball won't suffer from it or miss a beat. It would be better.

I would put Dampier up against anyone you can name when it comes to outside shooting.....anyone!
I'll take George Lehmann from deep over anyone.:)

Lehmann from 3 -- .365
Dampier from 3-- .358

I watched George play a lot of summer basketball. Shooter. Ask Louie.:)

So they spent two semesters in college according to your info. You failed to address my main point. College served as a showcase for their future employers. College is not the proper vehicle for that. Football has a much more reasonable and sensible set of rules, i.e., three years from their high school graduation. It's conceivable and fairly common for a college football player to complete his course load and graduate in three years.

One and dones are bullshit, a disgrace to the universities that encourage them, especially UK who does it almost exclusively. Start a futures league. NCAA basketball won't suffer from it or miss a beat. It would be better.
Graduation in 3 years in Football has become fairly common ? Not really. https://www.si.com/college-football...deshaun-watson-setting-early-graduation-trend. Eight of the top schools PSU included, are listed as having none. I think Ursh might have. NFL is not altruistic. It is too expensive to have a developmental league, and kids bodies need a few more years to develop compared to the NBA.

Is it doable? You're deflecting from my main point.
You said its conceivable and fairly common. It's not common. Also, I imagine most of the degrees are of the variety that are not prime for a great job. Many college degrees are total BS, but that is another story.

Reggie Miller, Ray Allen, Jerry West, Flynn Robinson....there are a couple of dozen better shooters than Dampier. There is a reason he played in the ABA.

NYC native, Frank McGuire, built UNC basketball with kids from the NYC boroughs like Cunningham, Lennie Rosenbluth and Doug Moe among others.

McGuire Used the same M.O. at South Carolina with NYC natives Tom Owens and Tony Roche without the same long term success.

I remember Howard Porter taking a swing at Charlie Scott in a Holiday Festival game in '68, or was it '69. Stayed at the Hotel Manhattan for $20 per. Cable TV? What the hell is that?

John Roche....Tony Roche was an Australian tennis player.

John Roche....Tony Roche was an Australian tennis player.
Funny. I do that all the time with Roche. I have a very good friend who went to USC. I break his balls about the not quite good enough Owens/ Roche team.

Tony Roche was a great tennis player -- not Laver, Rosewall, Emerson or Newcombe but still.

You said its conceivable and fairly common. It's not common. Also, I imagine most of the degrees are of the variety that are not prime for a great job. Many college degrees are total BS, but that is another story.
Main point. Never mind.

You know, not everyone views college as a trade school like you and others seem to. But that's another story.

Booth put up 20 against UNC. That's a difference maker. Booth, a starting guard, was a big loss and to say otherwise is foolish, in my opinion.

The Booth loss was huge!!

You know, not everyone views college as a trade school like you and others seem to. But that's another story.[/QUOTE]
Those folks are busy using their parents computers in a loft above the garage. But that's another story.

Funny. I do that all the time with Roche. I have a very good friend who went to USC. I break his balls about the not quite good enough Owens/ Roche team.

Tony Roche was a great tennis player -- not Laver, Rosewall, Emerson or Newcombe but still.

THAT list really dates you :) Australia was THE power !!!!

Reactions: artsandletters
Actually saw George Lehmann put on a shooting clinic once. Talk about range. Wow.
You know, not everyone views college as a trade school like you and others seem to. But that's another story.
Those folks are busy using their parents computers in a loft above the garage. But that's another story.[/QUOTE]
No we're not.

Broaden your frame of reference then get back to me.:)

Reactions: mn78psu83
No we're not.

Broaden your frame of reference then get back to me.:)
The guy was strong. He shot a lot.[/QUOTE]
George is from from Riverside, NJ. His little brother, Austin, was pretty good.

I had written a story about another great shooter I knew (and you certainly know of) but I didn't post it -- thought better of it. That's why the above exchange was messed up.

Has Burroughs got you doing cut-ups yet? :)

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT