ADVERTISEMENT

Kentucky Basketball Recruiting

Ian

Gold Member
Jul 8, 2001
State College, Pa
Cats just signed their 6th 5Star recruit for the 2017 class! And they have 2 4Stars, too. I guess there is no class limit. Crazy the one and dones.

Cats just signed their 6th 5Star recruit for the 2017 class! And they have 2 4Stars, too. I guess there is no class limit. Crazy the one and dones.
I would love to see scholarships tied up for three years, then if you have a one and done you lose that ship for two more years. Then coaches would have to balance how many one and dones they sign. I would like to see guys like Coach Cal have to actually develop some players and keep some guys around.

I would love to see scholarships tied up for three years, then if you have a one and done you lose that ship for two more years. Then coaches would have to balance how many one and dones they sign. I would like to see guys like Coach Cal have to actually develop some players and keep some guys around.

I don't see a problem with Coach Cal, Coach K, etc. using one and dones. The kids they're recruiting are leaving as high NBA picks with guaranteed contracts. Why should they be treated differently than the Computer Science students who leave school early for jobs in Silican Valley? PSU has had several such students who developed an app, etc were offered an excellent job, and left.

Part of the reason they go to UK is because Cal does develop players. I dont like the system, I think it should be like baseball, and you can argue that he may not be the best game coach but he recruits then in part because he does develop them for what the NBA wants.

Part of the reason they go to UK is because Cal does develop players. I dont like the system, I think it should be like baseball, and you can argue that he may not be the best game coach but he recruits then in part because he does develop them for what the NBA wants.
Yeah, pretty impressive IMO that Cal's teams can often play good defense, esp. considering how much the roster turns over. He is getting top talent, but they didn't need to play much defense in high school; with Cal's coaching, they generally play good team ball, go after rebounds, make the extra pass, and defend.

How many leave with any real education and/or a degree?
Very few, occasionally they have a 4-year scholarship player, and there are walk-ons, generally from in-state, who make the team and sometimes even earn a scholarship. I like a well-rounded education, but many of the Kentucky guys become very successful and wealthy in their profession. It's hard to say the players are making bad choices by going to Kentucky for one year.

I'm pretty sure that there used to be a 5 man limit for recruiting classes

Used to be a 5/8 rule. No more than five initial counters in any given year and eight over two consecutive years, with the overall limit of 13. Overall limit is still 13, but the NCAA did away with the initial counter limitation some years ago, due largely to the fact that NBA draft rules created some major roster problems for colleges. There was one year when the 5/8 rule was still in effect that Arizona had four players leave early and five graduate.

Reactions: Ranger Dan
No denying that the register rings for most of those guys. As a comparison here are some other powers over the same time frame.

Kentucky 32 recruits and 24 5Stars, 5 4Stars
Duke 24 recruits and 15 5Stars, 5 4Stars
Arizona 21 recruits and 8 5Stars, 10 4Stars
UCLA 20 recruits and 6 5Stars, 9 4Stars
Kansas 18 recruits and 9 5Stars, 7 4Stars
UNC 15 recruits and 4 5Stars, 8 4Stars
Villanova 13 recruits and 2 5Stars, 7 4Stars

UNC and Villanova will fall off. Duke has decided to do as Kentucky does. Arizona and UCLA are cranking it up on the WC.

Very few, occasionally they have a 4-year scholarship player, and there are walk-ons, generally from in-state, who make the team and sometimes even earn a scholarship. I like a well-rounded education, but many of the Kentucky guys become very successful and wealthy in their profession. It's hard to say the players are making bad choices by going to Kentucky for one year.
UK had 24 players on NBA rosters this season. Duke had 20. UNC and Kansas were tied with 15. No doubt they are pulling better than average salaries.

Last edited:

Cal "develops" players? Hilarious. You mean if these 5 star kids would have gone elsewhere they wouldn't be in the NBA? Find me anyone on the basketball circuit that believes what you just wrote. Just one person. He's the best salesman in the business, but he's not anything close being a developer of talent. His kids would be right where they are with or without him.

Reactions: TheGLOV

How many NCAA titles does Calipari have at UK and how many years has he coached there? One or two? Why so salty? The bottom line is UK pours obscene amounts of money into that program, he recruits great and he is an above average coach. The other schools go on the cheap then their homer fans complain about other programs like Kentucky. These other programs should man up, spend some money and get better. Seems like a fairly easy objective to me.

Cal "develops" players? Hilarious. You mean if these 5 star kids would have gone elsewhere they wouldn't be in the NBA? Find me anyone on the basketball circuit that believes what you just wrote. Just one person. He's the best salesman in the business, but he's not anything close being a developer of talent. His kids would be right where they are with or without him.

How about the writers and administrators that voted him into the Basketball Hall of Fame?

With these credentials:

The only coach to coach a men's college basketball team to 38 wins in a season. He has done it three times – in 2008 (Memphis Tigers – vacated), 2012 (Kentucky Wildcats), 2015 (Kentucky Wildcats). He has won one National Championship (2012), two runner-up finishes (2008 – vacated), (2014), and three other Final Fours (1996 – vacated), (2011), (2015). He's won one NIT championship (2002), twelve conference tournament championships (5 Atlantic-10, 4 Conference USA, 3 SEC), and twelve conference regular season championships (5 Atlantic-10, 4 Conference USA, 3 SEC). He's been named three times the Naismith Coach of the Year (1996, 2008, 2015), once the Associated Press Coach of the Year (2015), 3 NABC Coach of the Year awards (1996, 2009, 2015), as well as a multitude of other awards including conference coach of the year seven times (1 Atlantic-10, 3 Conference USA, 3 SEC).

What he did at the UMass alone was remarkable. Yes, there's controversy, but the guy can coach.

Don't blame Cal, blame the system.

Or blame the universities that have no idea how to build and maintain a solid basketball program. Any programs come to mind Joe? Are you one of those that blame your boss or the gov't for everything bad in your life?

How many NCAA titles does Calipari have at UK and how many years has he coached there? One or two? Why so salty? The bottom line is UK pours obscene amounts of money into that program, he recruits great and he is an above average coach. The other schools go on the cheap then their homer fans complain about other programs like Kentucky. These other programs should man up, spend some money and get better. Seems like a fairly easy objective to me.
I'm not salty at all, I don't care what U.K. does. I would just like to see scholarships last for three or four years for everyone (not just Kentucky). I think it would add to the college game and would make it more interesting. You can talk tough all you want about other schools manning up and doing what it takes, but very, very few are considering it's almost always the same schools that win it all in basketball year after year.

Or blame the universities that have no idea how to build and maintain a solid basketball program. Any programs come to mind Joe? Are you one of those that blame your boss or the gov't for everything bad in your life?
Most of them apparently.

a
I'm not salty at all, I don't care what U.K. does. I would just like to see scholarships last for three or four years for everyone (not just Kentucky). I think it would add to the college game and would make it more interesting. You can talk tough all you want about other schools manning up and doing what it takes, but very, very few are considering it's almost always the same schools that win it all in basketball year after year.

Facts are easy to see. Take Penn State. Hire the Northwestern coach and maybe Penn State is Cinderella this year. I'm not wasting my time going program to program and when did becoming a successful hoop program have anything to do with tough guy routine. Some of you guys can not help. I'll buckle up for your tough guy routine now LOL

How about the writers and administrators that voted him into the Basketball Hall of Fame?

With these credentials:

The only coach to coach a men's college basketball team to 38 wins in a season. He has done it three times – in 2008 (Memphis Tigers – vacated), 2012 (Kentucky Wildcats), 2015 (Kentucky Wildcats). He has won one National Championship (2012), two runner-up finishes (2008 – vacated), (2014), and three other Final Fours (1996 – vacated), (2011), (2015). He's won one NIT championship (2002), twelve conference tournament championships (5 Atlantic-10, 4 Conference USA, 3 SEC), and twelve conference regular season championships (5 Atlantic-10, 4 Conference USA, 3 SEC). He's been named three times the Naismith Coach of the Year (1996, 2008, 2015), once the Associated Press Coach of the Year (2015), 3 NABC Coach of the Year awards (1996, 2009, 2015), as well as a multitude of other awards including conference coach of the year seven times (1 Atlantic-10, 3 Conference USA, 3 SEC).

What he did at the UMass alone was remarkable. Yes, there's controversy, but the guy can coach.

Did he ever coach in the NBA?

How'd he do there?

You know I luv ya Roy.

Reactions: royboy
How many leave with any real education and/or a degree?

How many would have gone to college in the first place if they were still allowed to go straight to the NBA out of high school? Blame that for one-and-dones, not the coaches or schools. And those kids don't have to leave if they want a college degree!

How many would have gone to college in the first place if they were still allowed to go straight to the NBA out of high school? Blame that for one-and-dones, not the coaches or schools. And those kids don't have to leave if they want a college degree!

They can get college degrees after they finish their pro careers. They have a limited shelf-life as NBA players.

And what have they won??????????

You apparently aren't the guy to build a college hoop program.
A nontradional basketball school hasn't won a NC in basketball since 1966 (unless you count Arkansas or Arizona as non basketball schools). So I guess no one else is the right guy to build a program either.

A nontradional basketball school hasn't won a NC in basketball since 1966 (unless you count Arkansas or Arizona as non basketball schools). So I guess no one else is the right guy to build a program either.
Well, maybe Florida?
Traditional football power, hadn't been much of a basketball power. And went back-to-back.

Reactions: ILLINOISLION
Well, maybe Florida?
Traditional football power, hadn't been much of a basketball power. And went back-to-back.
They transitioned to a basketball school, but with the talent in that state it was a pretty easy transition.

a

Facts are easy to see. Take Penn State. Hire the Northwestern coach and maybe Penn State is Cinderella this year. I'm not wasting my time going program to program and when did becoming a successful hoop program have anything to do with tough guy routine. Some of you guys can not help. I'll buckle up for your tough guy routine now LOL
You said schools should man up, spend some money and get better. It's obviously not that easy or tons of schools would do it, but they don't.

I have a friend that coaches AAU basketball. He told me the only coach that didn't some shady business with recruiting during his time with AAU was Bobby Knight.

When you think of college basketball stars and their schools, no Kentucky player comes to mi

He is not him Nope!
Um, what? Five first team All Americans since 2010...that's a lot of players from Kentucky that come to mind. In 2010 they had two on the first team.

No denying that the register rings for most of those guys. As a comparison here are some other powers over the same time frame.

Kentucky 32 recruits and 24 5Stars, 5 4Stars
Duke 24 recruits and 15 5Stars, 5 4Stars
Arizona 21 recruits and 8 5Stars, 10 4Stars
UCLA 20 recruits and 6 5Stars, 9 4Stars
Kansas 18 recruits and 9 5Stars, 7 4Stars
UNC 15 recruits and 4 5Stars, 8 4Stars
Villanova 13 recruits and 2 5Stars, 7 4Stars

UNC and Villanova will fall off. Duke has decided to do as Kentucky does. Arizona and UCLA are cranking it up on the WC.
I'm not sure what you mean by Villanova falling off but I expect them to finish in the top ten next season. Were you referring to performance? Their recruiting for '17 was above average because they lost out on five star Lonnie Walker. They still signed 2 four stars and and rapidly rising three star.

ADVERTISEMENT