ADVERTISEMENT

Juwan is transferring (LINK)

hmmm...well, lots of kids are just "exploring" so we'll see.

This is opening up what I kind of feared and that is a whole secondary recruiting scenario for the staff. So many good players in the portal that we know of already (Hurts, Wimbush, Martell) and those are just the QB's. There has to be a ton of position players out there too. There is going to have to be a program to retain players that enter the portal that you want to keep and a program to go after kids in the portal you want to attract. I wasn't prepared for it to be this big of a deal but it is going to be HUGE>

Damn, really really surprising. As terrible as he played this year, Franklin was always very vocally in his corner. Even before the bowl game, fully backed him up and said he would have a huge bowl game. I guess I shouldn't be after how bad he was, but I'm shocked.

It does clear the decks for the young guys. He does have his degree so a grad transfer. Reminds me of Geno Lewis transferring to Oklahoma after a very up and down PSU career with more talented guys behind him.

Reactions: nits74
With Trace saying how 5* recruit Justin Shorter put together the best 1 month of practice in December that he's seen, it does make it easier for him to get those snaps.

What this has become is the college football equivalent of free agency. In some respects I can't blame the kids, if that's what they really want, but if the goal is obtaining an education, how does transferring to another school to play football help to facilitate that?

Hell, I follow Penn State players as they wind their way through the NFL. I never thought I'd be a Cowboys fan but I love to see Sean Lee do well...and by extension that means rooting for the 'boys...sometimes. I was a bit conflicted last week with the Bears having ex-PSU players (e.g. - Allen Robinson) as well as the Eagles (Wisniewski). So, if JJ winds up going to the Tide, do I do the unthinkable and start rooting for Saban's crew, since JJ would be a former Penn Stater? Heresy!

I am beginning to think that the NFL needs a developmental league and colleges should dial football back to what the Ivy League is. The whole thing is devolving into a new order of insanity.

Really a terribly shortsighted decision on his part. How many major schools would have shown him the patience we did with the number of balls he dropped over the last year? Unless he is dropping down a division I can’t see this working out for him. He is going to go into a situation where no one knows him and compete against top talent without the coach having reason to stick with him when he struggles. He would be better off staying here in my opinion which ultimately y counts for nothing. Wish the kid well.

College football will be dialed back to what the Ivies are. There are no more than 20 college teams with the necessary financial means to succeed, and eventually the rest will be left behind. In a sense, that's already happened, but I fully expect that it will be happen officially in some kind of super-conference where only the best players play and the richest schools participate. And, we won't be one of them.

What this has become is the college football equivalent of free agency. In some respects I can't blame the kids, if that's what they really want, but if the goal is obtaining an education, how does transferring to another school to play football help to facilitate that?

Juwan already has his degree.

Reactions: JoeFi
I'm kind of surprised. He seems like a good kid. Always available to the fans especially at the blue white game and again at the bowl game. Spent time in the lobby at the players hotel signing autographs.

Really a terribly shortsighted decision on his part. How many major schools would have shown him the patience we did with the number of balls he dropped over the last year? Unless he is dropping down a division I can’t see this working out for him. He is going to go into a situation where no one knows him and compete against top talent without the coach having reason to stick with him when he struggles. He would be better off staying here in my opinion which ultimately y counts for nothing. Wish the kid well.

Just about every school in the country would have a lot of patience for a 6-4, 235-pound WR who runs a 4.5, and many schools will have a spot for said receiver in the future.

Just about every school in the country would have a lot of patience for a 6-4, 235-pound WR who runs a 4.5, and many schools will have a spot for said receiver in the future.

Until game 1 and he's wide open on a crossing pattern to move the sticks and he drops the ball. Writing must be on the wall for the 3 sophomores to get the starting nod going forward.

Reactions: djr4rebs
Juwan already has his degree.

Good for him and congratulations. But then why does he "need" to transfer to another school to play football...if he already has his degree?

IOW, how does JJ's transfer to another school in order to play football (presumably in a better situation than he thinks he has now) help further his education?

Again, I don't blame JJ or any of the other kids doing this for taking advantage of the situation...but if the mission is education, IMO the education obviously is no longer the focus.

I think PSU fans are going to have to get over their negative perception of this whole transfer trend. If we are going to have players transferring out every year we are going to need to accept some incoming

Good for him and congratulations. But then why does he "need" to transfer to another school to play football...if he already has his degree?

IOW, how does JJ's transfer to another school in order to play football (presumably in a better situation than he thinks he has now) help further his education?

Again, I don't blame JJ or any of the other kids doing this for taking advantage of the situation...but if the mission is education, IMO the education obviously is no longer the focus.

From what I read, he doesn't have to transfer if he's not satisfied with any offers..however PSU can pull his scholarship after the academic term is over.

It’s JJ choice. Accept it, wish him well, and move on.

Reactions: RPK69 and baircub1!
I think PSU fans are going to have to get over their negative perception of this whole transfer trend. If we are going to have players transferring out every year we are going to need to accept some incoming

Most players transfer out for playing time. With the talent level CJF is bringing in, we may see a good many transfer out, and not many transferring in..... We just may see consistently larger recruiting classes than we would have without this new rule (Grad Transfer), especially since CJF stresses to players and their families that the "program" is to get their degree in just over 3 years....

Reactions: marshall23

It's a smart decision for him. He has talent but underperformed this year, and can easily become the #1 on a mid level P5 team. On the other hand, Hamler, Shorter and Dotson are all going to chip away at his PT if he stayed here.

Reactions: RPK69 and MaconNitt

I'm getting really sick of this transfer trend already. So long college football, it was nice knowing ya

I would assume his mission is more playing time to get in better position to be drafted.

Reactions: bluewhiteApos
I have to wonder what has been said since the season has ended. He was our true #1 going into '18. Injuries, drops, the season didn't pan out as many expected. Himself included.

You have to believe he was told something along the lines of "you are not guaranteed to start with the talent we have now". Yes, it's an assumption, but unless he speaks out anything said is.

Curious where he ends up.

Not surprised at all. I think playing time for him was gonna be tough next year, with Hamler and the other freshmen WR. Hope it works out for him. I'm not happy to see him go, but this system is finally something that is good for the kids.

Reactions: RPK69
I do not know this for a fact ... he may have been told that his playing time will be behind the young guys in '19 ....

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT