ADVERTISEMENT

Justin Shorter

psulongago

Aug 29, 2001
Positive article in the Gainsville Sun, and how Justin decided to forgo the NFL for another chance to win with the Florida Gators, wants to be like Kyle Pitts. Has him Mom with him to act as his personal practice QB. Nor sure if i have the comment correct but while at PSU wasn't he dubbed as being a donut short of being an offensive lineman.
Not sure if that is exact, but the article mentions Shorter's dedication.

Reactions: NedFromYork
Positive article in the Gainsville Sun, and how Justin decided to forgo the NFL for another chance to win with the Florida Gators, wants to be like Kyle Pitts. Has him Mom with him to act as his personal practice QB. Nor sure if i have the comment correct but while at PSU wasn't he dubbed as being a donut short of being an offensive lineman.

Isn't Kyle Pitts a TE?

How good is his mom's arm and does she have any eligibility left?

Very sad, he’s been taught to have those expectations. Kyle was the number 4 player drafted in the NFL draft. He left a year early, not stayed a extra year. Big difference in talent level.

Uhhh good luck? LMFAO!

Very sad, he’s been taught to have those expectations. Kyle was the number 4 player drafted in the NFL draft. He left a year early, not stayed a extra year. Big difference in talent level.
Per the local newspaper article, Shorter wants his name displayed at the Stadium like Pitts.

Some, but not all of the problems Shorter had at PSU dealt with SC. Watching the UM game that year when KJ tore apart their DB, Shorter never had one ball thrown his direction the entire game, even though he was beating his DB time and again off the LOS. KJ was great, but SC would throw to him when he was double covered time and again, and never looked for a 2nd WR. He still does that.

I know the drops were an issue, but when you only have 10-12 balls thrown your way in 2 years, tough to get over that issue. Mention Gesecki when talking about dropped balls.

I could be wrong, but I suspect he didn't enter the draft because 3.4 catches and 45 yds per game in your best season may not garner the interest you think you deserve.

Well maybe some commons sense hit him in the head finally and he figured out his future if he wants a shot at the NFL is not at WR but as more of a pass catching tight end. He doesn't have the speed/athletic ability/quickness combo to be a WR, he past 4 years have shown that. But if he can add on 25 pounds and keep his current ability, then instead of a less than average athletic WR he becomes a higher than average athletic tight end.

Perhaps it's as simple as maturity. A five star rating doesn't grant you playing time and star status. He and Dad assumed that his failure to achieve super star status was 100% due to PSU coaches etc.
A change of scenery and some perspective ....perhaps a change of attitude, some hard work and dedication have served him well. Bottom line, he' s not a big time player. He'll get a look....just not a first or second round prospect.

Some, but not all of the problems Shorter had at PSU dealt with SC. Watching the UM game that year when KJ tore apart their DB, Shorter never had one ball thrown his direction the entire game, even though he was beating his DB time and again off the LOS. KJ was great, but SC would throw to him when he was double covered time and again, and never looked for a 2nd WR. He still does that.

I know the drops were an issue, but when you only have 10-12 balls thrown your way in 2 years, tough to get over that issue. Mention Gesecki when talking about dropped balls.
He had his chance against Minnesota where the coaches threw to him constantly. He was thrown a bomb and let the much smaller safety winfield, go up and catch it and shorter didn’t even try and then he dropped a sure touchdown. Two huge plays in the game.

I could be wrong, but I suspect he didn't enter the draft because 3.4 catches and 45 yds per game in your best season may not garner the interest you think you deserve.
Also the greatest depth at wr for nfl draft ever. 10 players that can make an impact for nfl teams.

Not necessarily disagreeing with your sentiment - but, Shorter has been in college football for 5 years now. He is what he is, a 5-star bust. Has he been wide open and the QB missing him for 5 seasons now?

He has size and good (not great) straight line speed. His biggest weakness is his "wiggle" and inability to create separation at the LOS, which is why the staff wanted him to slim down to hopefully allow for better small area quickness. He should've been playing and prepping for TE from the moment he stepped onto the college football playing field, unfortunately his dad drank the Megatron cool aid that a lot of these recruiting sites were feeding everyone.

Also, maybe it's just me, and I don't really know what I mean by it - but Shorter has always seemed to lack that it factor you see from so many of the better players in college football. He just always has seemed disengaged in a way. I wonder if he really wants to be great, or if he's just going through the motions.

Not necessarily disagreeing with your sentiment - but, Shorter has been in college football for 5 years now. He is what he is, a 5-star bust. Has he been wide open and the QB missing him for 5 seasons now?

He has size and good (not great) straight line speed. His biggest weakness is his "wiggle" and inability to create separation at the LOS, which is why the staff wanted him to slim down to hopefully allow for better small area quickness. He should've been playing and prepping for TE from the moment he stepped onto the college football playing field, unfortunately his dad drank the Megatron cool aid that a lot of these recruiting sites were feeding everyone.

Also, maybe it's just me, and I don't really know what I mean by it - but Shorter has always seemed to lack that it factor you see from so many of the better players in college football. He just always has seemed disengaged in a way. I wonder if he really wants to be great, or if he's just going through the motions.
Shorter had 41 receptions last year with about a 13.5 yard average. I'm not certain, but that probably is more than our #2, and #3 WR's combined last year. And, I certainly believe he would have been much better than CSB, and would have been a nice addition to our WR group. Our #1 WR was the only real productive WR of the entire group.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT