ADVERTISEMENT

Justin Shorter at the Penn Relays

tboyer

Sep 25, 2002
I am late on this, it's probably been posted before, but OMG if you haven't already seen this video....

Penn State has never seen the likes of this. If he can learn the offense and run good patterns (and from all indications he can), he could just tear up the Big Ten as a true freshman.

Single coverage on this guy with a 5-10 corner -- that will be an automatic, a pitch and catch for McSorley (and we know he throws to tall receivers so well). And then one missed tackle (which is real easy to do on someone this big) and he's gone.

He also said Irvin Charles was the most “incredible athlete” (or something like that) that he ever coached.

IIRC, Charles entire PSU career consisted of three receptions.

IOW - All of these kids who get recruited by P5 programs have unusual athletic ability.
It’s what they do with it (and, sometimes, a bit of good or bad luck) that matters.
Not sure what point you are making? Both statements by JF could be absolutely true.

Lou Holtz said the same thing aboutRandy Moss. Hope it works out the same, but without the baggage!
If Justin Shorter puts up the numbers at Penn State that Randy put up at Marshall, he could have a whole dorm room full of baggage as far as I’m concerned.

Lou Holtz said the same thing aboutRandy Moss. Hope it works out the same, but without the baggage!
Shorter committed early, and stayed solid through out the recruiting season, even as he was rising on the national lists.

Just my initial impression, but I think he'll be a coachable guy who can reach his (very high) potential at Penn State.

Charles had so much natural ability but not enough maturity. Just couldn't concentrate -- we could all see it in the penalties, drops, bad routes. But wow when he made a play.... He was an NFL player except for the mental part. Such a pity he wasn't able to take care of business.

Shorter has Charles' level of physical ability, even more probably, but with maturity and discipline. Kind of illustrates the wide gulf between 4 and 5 stars.

I am late on this, it's probably been posted before, but OMG if you haven't already seen this video....

Penn State has never seen the likes of this. If he can learn the offense and run good patterns (and from all indications he can), he could just tear up the Big Ten as a true freshman.

Single coverage on this guy with a 5-10 corner -- that will be an automatic, a pitch and catch for McSorley (and we know he throws to tall receivers so well). And then one missed tackle (which is real easy to do on someone this big) and he's gone.
Yes they have. I’m not saying anything about his competencies as a receiver, but if his track times are any indication he has good, not great speed. He didn’t even win counties in the 100 meters this year. Again, he might be great but it isn’t because of great speed.

He also said Irvin Charles was the most “incredible athlete” (or something like that) that he ever coached.

IOW - All of these kids who get recruited by P5 programs have unusual athletic ability.
It’s what they do with it (and, sometimes, a bit of good or bad luck) that matters.

Charles was and probably is a great athlete.

Reactions: N&B4PSU and acg116
Yes they have. I’m not saying anything about his competencies as a receiver, but if his track times are any indication he has good, not great speed. He didn’t even win counties in the 100 meters this year. Again, he might be great but it isn’t because of great speed.
Yeah I was surprised to find he never broke 11s after watching this. NJ has some stiff competition though. Zeke's best time was 10.95 and it won him the state title in Missouri. 10.x puts you in elite territory. (freaking Ojabo runs that fast somehow O_O)
https://www.athletic.net/TrackAndField/Athlete.aspx?AID=7698043#!/L4

At that size though you don't even need to be fast yet he's still in the upper tier of D1 athletes when looking at just speed.

Reactions: acg116

Irv is a WR who would have made an interesting OLB.
We’ll see how it works out with Darien.

Reactions: indynittany

Yeah I was surprised to find he never broke 11s after watching this. NJ has some stiff competition though. Zeke's best time was 10.95 and it won him the state title in Missouri. 10.x puts you in elite territory. (freaking Ojabo runs that fast somehow O_O)
https://www.athletic.net/TrackAndField/Athlete.aspx?AID=7698043#!/L4

At that size though you don't even need to be fast yet he's still in the upper tier of D1 athletes when looking at just speed.
Yep, that’s plenty fast for his size and I’m confident he’ll be good, just the hyperbole re his speed isn’t accurate.

Reactions: mcgunns

And he's as humble as he is talented... seems grounded, polite, intelligent and an excellent all-around Penn Stater.

JUSTIN SHORTER INTERVIEW: https://www.msn.com/en-ie/news/video/top-100-wr-justin-shorter-lovin-penn-state/vp-AAtzRNN

“And”, in response to the claim that Charles was a top-notch athlete (which I agree with)..... the “and” meaning, more or less, “so what”.
The point being: Being an “Uber-Athlete” as a high school kid, which almost all of these guys are, don’t necessarily mean crapola wrt whether or not they will excel as D1 Football players........ as Charles, and thousands of other Uber-athletes, demonstrates.

The kid who “jumped out of swimming pools

The kid who “jumped out of swimming pools” was probably all the “athlete” as a high school lad that Saquan Barkley was - - - but their college achievements varied a bit :)

And isn’t that what I said? I never mentioned his football accumen.:)

Reactions: BoulderFish
This is just a guess, but I really don't think either Moorheads' or Rahne's offense, is THAT difficult to learn. The offense, according to the players for the past 2 seasons, has been releatively simple to learn and digest.

Reactions: N&B4PSU

FIRE. FRANKLIN. :eek:

Reactions: acg116 and sibley
“And”, in response to the claim that Charles was a top-notch athlete (which I agree with)..... the “and” meaning, more or less, “so what”.
The point being: Being an “Uber-Athlete” as a high school kid, which almost all of these guys are, don’t necessarily mean crapola wrt whether or not they will excel as D1 Football players........ as Charles, and thousands of other Uber-athletes, demonstrates.

The kid who “jumped out of swimming pools” was probably all the “athlete” as a high school lad that Saquan Barkley was - - - but their college achievements varied a bit :)

250. :eek:

Geez, STFU already.

ADVERTISEMENT