ADVERTISEMENT

Justin Lopez @ 125, info wanted

lauren68

Gold Member
Aug 8, 2003
I hang out with a retired doc who has a son doing orthopedic residency in NYC (Hospital for Special Surgery) He has met and works with Justin Lopez's father who is a 1st assist in the ortho dept. Does anyone know about Justin. Can he start?

Think he wrestled 106 as a senior. Tough road for a guy like that.

I have a hard time believing anybody who wrestles 106 as a senior will ever be a starting 125lber in college. They obviously have a tough time gaining weight and you can't wait 4 years for a guy to weigh 125lbs if he is to be a valuable contributer in a lineup.

My brother was a career 103lber in high school and he still only weighs 115lbs soaking wet 20 years later.

I have a hard time believing anybody who wrestles 106 as a senior will ever be a starting 125lber in college. They obviously have a tough time gaining weight and you can't wait 4 years for a guy to weigh 125lbs if he is to be a valuable contributer in a lineup.

My brother was a career 103lber in high school and he still only weighs 115lbs soaking wet 20 years later.

Jordan Conaway wrestled 113 as a senior in HS and was an AA at 133. Matt Kyler wrestled 103 as a senior in HS and ended up at 149 by the time he was a senior in college. Not saying Lopez will grow that much but everyone is different. Only time will tell.

Reactions: searay26

Jim Martin did OK.

Jordan Conaway wrestled 113 as a senior in HS and was an AA at 133. Matt Kyler wrestled 103 as a senior in HS and ended up at 149 by the time he was a senior in college. Not saying Lopez will grow that much but everyone is different. Only time will tell.

Matt Kyler was 119 as a sr. Took 3rd at states.

Someone pointed out Brian Friery in another thread. He wrestled post-season 113 his senior year. Now listed at 149.

I hang out with a retired doc who has a son doing orthopedic residency in NYC (Hospital for Special Surgery) He has met and works with Justin Lopez's father who is a 1st assist in the ortho dept. Does anyone know about Justin. Can he start?
He has gained a lot of weight. He is a solid 125 now...Will be tough in the room this year now that he has put on size....Should be very interesting ! Mentally very tough....

Reactions: NYWRESTLER94
Thanks for the info. The ortho resident i was talking about was home over the weekend and said Justin's dad is a good guy with great work ethic. I'll be watching and pulling for his son.

2-3x all state in NY from section one, he’s very tough but was obviously very undersized coming in

The smallest great PA high school wrestler that was unable to have great success in college was Bobby Weaver of Easton. Under the old weights he won states his sophomore and junior years at 98 pounds. He won states his senior year at 105. He went one year to Blair as Grad student and was OW in National Prep championship.. He then went to Lehigh and wrestled at the lowest weight at the time 118. He had a decent career but not great ,he was too small.
In 1984 he competed in the Olympics at 105 and won gold. After he won he grabbed his 2 year old son and ran around the arena. It was classic.
For those of you to young to remember him I highly recommend to Wikipedia Bobby Weaver.

He had issues making weight his freshman year of hs when he wrestled 98

BJ Futrell was 112 his senior year high school
Laney Ohio was 113 his senior year and started 125 as a true freshmen

The smallest great PA high school wrestler that was unable to have great success in college was Bobby Weaver of Easton. Under the old weights he won states his sophomore and junior years at 98 pounds. He won states his senior year at 105. He went one year to Blair as Grad student and was OW in National Prep championship.. He then went to Lehigh and wrestled at the lowest weight at the time 118. He had a decent career but not great ,he was too small.
In 1984 he competed in the Olympics at 105 and won gold. After he won he grabbed his 2 year old son and ran around the arena. It was classic.
For those of you to young to remember him I highly recommend to Wikipedia Bobby Weaver.

I remember Bobby Weaver running around the mat carrying his kid. Pretty amazing that he actually was a 1x AA when he was giving up 10+ pounds to the field.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT