ADVERTISEMENT

Just started walking 3 miles a day. Need shoe advice.

My orthopedic surgeon told me that Brooks are the best -- superior to New Balance. Buy a top of the line running shoe. If you are paying less than $150 then you aren't getting what you need!
I still run about 30 miles a week, and my kids turned me on to Brooks about 10 years ago. Was always a Nike/ ASICS guys, but Brooks give me the most support as an old guy

I've been walking 2+ miles/day for at least a decade with New Balance 410 Trail runners until sole looks pretty worn, then buy a new pair. I do add a Dr. Scholls insole. Fortunately I have no joint issues, so can get away with just a basic shoe. Can always buy in a store or online for around mid $30! If you don't care about the yellow (lettering), $33.43 on prime right now!

Last edited:
As many have said, Brooks is the way to go. I have the Brooks Ghost 12 and absolutely love them. As a matter of fact, I have 2 pair. One is the Gortex that I wear at the hospital, the other is the regular that I walk in.
Talk to doctors and nurses that care about their feet. The ones that don’t mind spending the money and prefer the sneaker style over the clog style, they buy Brooks.
Agree with the Brooks Ghost. I had been using Asics on the treadmill for years but have since switched to Brooks. Plenty of room for the toes and good heel support. I take out the insole that comes with it and put in Dr Scholls Athletic running insole and that give me just the right amount of cushion and arch.

Reactions: republion
I bought a pair of ASICS in ‘92 before going to basic training. Best running shoes I ever owned — for me. Once I got situated at my first duty station, I bought the top of the line Nike running shoes. Hated them. You can get all the advice you want but it’s still going to come down to what works best on your feet. When I walk, I wear Vans or New Balance Minimus.

Stores that sell running sneakers can measure your foot to determine if you have a high arch or flat foot, need wide shoe etc. they can fit you for the correct sneaker.
This, but if you can't or don't want to, I'd r commend new balance or saucony for good quality, light weight running shoe. Neither sacrifice function for aesthetics.

I was a Asics guy. Switched for the Brooks Ghost 10, 11, 12, 13's now.....I order online the model prior to the newest as why pay $130+ when you can just be a laggard buyer. Brooks have different models for different foot types and what you are trying to accomplish.

I just updated mine--should have done it sooner! The Plantar Fasciitis kicked in for last 2 weeks---got new Ghosts and added inserts already better. I just need to figure out at what point do i have to update before the PF kicks in again.

Good Luck!

Popularity of Hoka shoes has skyrocketed in the last few years, hear that are a very stable shoe. have been a fan of new balance for a long time too.

Reactions: ralphster
Agree. I have used Hoka One One now for about 3 years. Really like them. they Are the most comfortable running shoe I have ever had. Lots of cushioning and really light.
Agree, I'm on my 4th pair of Hoka one one running shoes. I try to walk 6 miles a day. I tell people it's like walking on a pillow.

If you want to go cheap, disposable, and slave labor, Reebok running shoes make great walking shoes.

Not sure if anyone has mentioned this, but my feet pronate when walking. Nike shoes are the absolute worst for me, as the inside of both my feet break down the shoe and make it almost fold inward.

NB, ASICS, and of course The Brooks I already mentioned are the shoes I found to help me with pronating. But Brooks have by far been the best. After walking and being on my feet all day, my knees, legs, and feet feel great. It’s like walking on a cloud.

I bought a pair of ASICS in ‘92 before going to basic training. Best running shoes I ever owned — for me. Once I got situated at my first duty station, I bought the top of the line Nike running shoes. Hated them. You can get all the advice you want but it’s still going to come down to what works best on your feet. When I walk, I wear Vans or New Balance Minimus.
I was given a pair of jungle boots and went up and down the hills of nam and cambodia for nine months. I can't recall how long a pair lasted. Sorry, could not resist chiming in!:cool:

Last edited:
Secret to a long life is to just keep moving(words of wisdom from a 90 year old). Glad to see so many are doing just that! When it comes to shoes/footwear don't be cheap about it. Get the right show for your feet. I have been an ASICs fan for the past 20 years. Tend to get the same model every couple of years until I went to Rapid Transit in State College and they recommended a size bigger because the new model tended to run smaller. Thought the foot uncomfortableness was just old age setting in but after that experience it is like walking on clouds. Try to do 5-6 mile walk every other day and no pain from the new ASIC. Just plunked down a big chunk of money on new high top hiking boots because my feet were getting sore and kept twisting my ankle in the cheaper pair I had for a long time. Money well spent. When it comes to your feet, just spend the money for good shoes. I think it was an old actor on a nightly talk show that mentioned, once your feet and legs go its all over! I am only mid-50 and I gots lots to do yet!! Keep on Movin'

Reactions: SEPATOPTEN
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT