ADVERTISEMENT

Just started walking 3 miles a day. Need shoe advice.

SEPATOPTEN

Aug 21, 2010
Who makes a good walking sneaker? I just started walking in a nice park and want to make sure I buy a good and proper shoe.

Reactions: hlstone
Personally I’d go with more of a high-cushioning running model for outsole durability. Go to New Balance and have them assess your strike/gait/weight, and start with the right models to address that.

What is the primary surface you’ll be walking on? If it’s loose gravel you may want a trail shoe with a more aggressive tread. But don’t buy a trail shoe if you’ll be walking mostly on pavement because the tread will wear quickly - the sole is softer and the tread has less surface area.

Last edited:
I've been using Merrill and like them. Nikes are too small for me (width) and Under Armor doesn't seem to hold up. But its really personal preference. I've got a neighbor who walks 8 miles a day and he also uses New Balance as Mike does and won't buy anything else. My wife won't let me get NB as she thinks they look like mall walkers.

I would go to a local store geared towards runners, and get personal insight. Big box stores are a no no . If you eschew my shoe advice, I would recommend Dick's, 30 day money back guarantee if you don't like them.

Last edited:
Stores that sell running sneakers can measure your foot to determine if you have a high arch or flat foot, need wide shoe etc. they can fit you for the correct sneaker.

treat your feet, more $$ but well worth it
Kuru
101345_g1_quantum_men_s_gray_walking_plantar_fasciitis_sneaker_main1_1_2.jpg

Ecco

02_523214_51227.jpg

I agree with others about a good running shoe. They are designed to take a beating.
Plus if you are a person if snd size you will put a lot of force on the sneaker. So you want something that can with stand that.

Who makes a good walking sneaker? I just started walking in a nice park and want to make sure I buy a good and proper shoe.

If you're not looking for athletic performance than I prefer a light hiking shoe for walking. I hike a lot with hiking shoes like Lowa's and walk the dogs in the neighborhood with the same shoes. It's a more stable base under foot and easier on the feet for a long walk. Some of the lighter hiking shoes are not much heavier than sneakers. Conversely if I want to play basketball with my nephew then I need the sneakers.

Last edited:
As others have said- don't go cheap. I once made that mistake and wound up with Plantar Fasciitis- and that is PAINFUL- it took me weeks to recover.

Reactions: ILLINOISLION
Why pay less when you can pay more at Fairgambit’s Worldwide Enterprises - Athletic Division.

Their high-end walking shoe is $199. Two for $425. Shoelaces $1 per 1”.

AND THE BEST PART (other than the bright pink color and the one-size-fits-all):

They’ll actually have one of their retired employees break the shoe(s) in for you by walking in them from Pittsburgh to your front door!

Agree with Brooks. I walk 4 miles a day (used to do 6) and have used Brooks for 20 years. Last few pairs have been Levitate (running shoe).

Reactions: republion
Brooks, New Balance, and ASICS are the best running shoes. I know a lot of runners who also add a cushion in-sole in those shoes too, which provides even more comfort on their feet. I know some folks may not like Nike, but Nikes have always served me well. Under Armour is straight garbage.

Reactions: djr4rebs
As many have said, Brooks is the way to go. I have the Brooks Ghost 12 and absolutely love them. As a matter of fact, I have 2 pair. One is the Gortex that I wear at the hospital, the other is the regular that I walk in.
Talk to doctors and nurses that care about their feet. The ones that don’t mind spending the money and prefer the sneaker style over the clog style, they buy Brooks.

Where do you live? If in SE PA, check out Valley Forge Running Company. They can set you up.

I like On. It is a Swiss brand, and returnable within 30 days. More of a running shoe, but great for walking as well.

Agree on Brooks, I’ll never buy another sneaker brand. Whatever you do, don’t buy Nike garbage, you’re better off with the Walmart brand.

agree on Brooks well. Got a pair during pandemic since I started walking a lot and love them. Bought them at rapid transit sports in State College. They take good care of their customers.

Reactions: paulrandythomas
I started walking two miles a day a year ago and wear NB and Nike.
A friend of mine suggested Hoka Bondi.
Sounds like a great shoe - except they run about $160 a pair.
Not in my budget.

OL
Agree. I have used Hoka One One now for about 3 years. Really like them. they Are the most comfortable running shoe I have ever had. Lots of cushioning and really light.

Well if we’re pitching specific models blind to the OP’s walk pattern I’ll recommend ASICS Gel Cumulus 21. The 21 is last year’s model and pretty much $80 anywhere, including the NB site. I started with the 10’s back in the day and have run more in that series than any other.

I was not impressed by the Ghost mentioned above, but everybody’s different. I weigh just under 170, so that may have something to do with it. And yes, pick up a pair of decent insoles if you have any question about your foot’s ability to deal with the new mileage.

Why pay less when you can pay more at Fairgambit’s Worldwide Enterprises - Athletic Division.

Their high-end walking shoe is $199. Two for $425. Shoelaces $1 per 1”.

AND THE BEST PART (other than the bright pink color and the one-size-fits-all):

They’ll actually have one of their retired employees break the shoe(s) in for you by walking in them from Pittsburgh to your front door!

Pink??? I bought the lime green with purple laces. Costs 25% more but you can't beat the style.

The waffle soles are the best. If you get hungry on your walk, just rip them off, brush off the dirt, and have a snack.

Replacing the soles is easy. Just pop a couple Eggos in the toaster and duct tape them to the shoes. The repaired shoes look just like they did fresh out of the box from Gambit's Wuhan sweatshop.

I work out in Brooks for comfort and wear Nike for style. Quite a few people are staring to wear No Bull sneakers in the gyms I go to and everyone that wears them absolutely love them. I’ll be looking at the No Bull for my next purchase.

Find a high end store that has staff trained to fit you with right sneaker. Your ankles may roll out or in and getting the properly designed fit can make all the difference. All the high end brands have different models for different gaits. I prefer acics but I’d submit the fit is most important

I am all in on Hoka. Recommended by podiatrist.

Some models are available in Wide and Extra Wide if that helps with proper fit.

Reactions: ralphster

I wear Asics at the gym. Suggest you go to a store that has knowledgeable personnel. Nothing worst than having the wrong shoes.I go to Rapid Transit in State College.

ADVERTISEMENT