ADVERTISEMENT

Just saw this in the local rag...

IANit

Dec 8, 2002
Iowa
H.W. Kissuck
Journal Sports Editor
INDIANAPOLIS - The NCAA today announced that the University of Iowa has been named the 2020 NCAA Division I Wrestling Champion despite no tournament being held this year due to the Covid-19 epidemic. No other team standings were announced and wrestling is the only spring sport to have a champion announced.
The announcement comes just two days after Hawkeye junior Spencer Lee was awarded the Hodge Trophy as the nation's top wrestler despite not being able to defend his 125-pound title after winning it the last two years.
This marks Iowa's 24th NCAA wrestling national title, trailing only Oklahoma State's 34. Four-time defending champion Penn State, fourth in the Big Ten Wrestling Championship in March loses for the first time since 2015. The Nittany Lions had won 8 of the last 9 tournaments.
NCAA President Mark Emmert said the decision was made based on pre-tournament seedings and numerous simulations using IBM Watson-powered AI. The move came after an intensive behind the scenes lobbying effort by the University of Iowa athletic department as well as numerous letters from fans affiliated with HawkeyeReport.com.
Emmert also apparently alluded to the Jerry Sandusky scandal in making the announcement.
"It really came down to a chance to a honor a program and fan base with the highest ideals," Emmert said.
"This sport has for too long been dominated by a school who I feel does not have its priorities in order, so I'm happy to make this announcement."
Tom Brands issued a press release today lauding the NCAA for its decision.
"We were disappointed that the NCAA chose to cancel spring sports championships, including the 2020 NCAA Wrestling championships. We were initially going to respectfully go along with it, but after thinking it over and talking with some of the HR fans it became clear that Cael Sanderson was possibly behind this," Brands said.
"It's bad enough that he's got a slush fund larger than the next 24 programs to buy top recruits when he wants, but when he has a chance of losing he always seems to catch a break," Brands stated.
"I'm not saying he himself unleashed a deadly virus, but like some of our HR fans I wouldn't be surprised if the person who started this whole mess was an idiot wearing a Penn State sweatshirt upset because they weren't going to win this year," he continued.
"He's really sick and so are most of the fans that follow that program. That whole school and state, really, other than the PA kids in our lineup.
"Thanks to the support of the many fine HR fans we reached out to the NCAA and they were very accommodating. I guess they hate Penn State like everyone else."
"It really means a lot coming from an upstanding person like President Emmert," Brands said.
Emmert is widely reviled by certain members of the Penn State community for attempts to use the Sandusky scandal to burnish the NCAA's tough enforcement image. That move ultimately failed.
Sanderson could not be reached for comment, but an athletic department spokesman said that the unprecedented decision is being appealed.

It would be funny to know how many HR dudes went scrambling through multiple sports and wrestling sites looking for verification.

Reactions: Ja1339
You had me right up until the part about the HR. :)
When did wrestling move to being a spring sport? Lol

H.W. Kissuck
Journal Sports Editor
INDIANAPOLIS - The NCAA today announced that the University of Iowa has been named the 2020 NCAA Division I Wrestling Champion despite no tournament being held this year due to the Covid-19 epidemic. No other team standings were announced and wrestling is the only spring sport to have a champion announced.
The announcement comes just two days after Hawkeye junior Spencer Lee was awarded the Hodge Trophy as the nation's top wrestler despite not being able to defend his 125-pound title after winning it the last two years.
This marks Iowa's 24th NCAA wrestling national title, trailing only Oklahoma State's 34. Four-time defending champion Penn State, fourth in the Big Ten Wrestling Championship in March loses for the first time since 2015. The Nittany Lions had won 8 of the last 9 tournaments.
NCAA President Mark Emmert said the decision was made based on pre-tournament seedings and numerous simulations using IBM Watson-powered AI. The move came after an intensive behind the scenes lobbying effort by the University of Iowa athletic department as well as numerous letters from fans affiliated with HawkeyeReport.com.
Emmert also apparently alluded to the Jerry Sandusky scandal in making the announcement.
"It really came down to a chance to a honor a program and fan base with the highest ideals," Emmert said.
"This sport has for too long been dominated by a school who I feel does not have its priorities in order, so I'm happy to make this announcement."
Tom Brands issued a press release today lauding the NCAA for its decision.
"We were disappointed that the NCAA chose to cancel spring sports championships, including the 2020 NCAA Wrestling championships. We were initially going to respectfully go along with it, but after thinking it over and talking with some of the HR fans it became clear that Cael Sanderson was possibly behind this," Brands said.
"It's bad enough that he's got a slush fund larger than the next 24 programs to buy top recruits when he wants, but when he has a chance of losing he always seems to catch a break," Brands stated.
"I'm not saying he himself unleashed a deadly virus, but like some of our HR fans I wouldn't be surprised if the person who started this whole mess was an idiot wearing a Penn State sweatshirt upset because they weren't going to win this year," he continued.
"He's really sick and so are most of the fans that follow that program. That whole school and state, really, other than the PA kids in our lineup.
"Thanks to the support of the many fine HR fans we reached out to the NCAA and they were very accommodating. I guess they hate Penn State like everyone else."
"It really means a lot coming from an upstanding person like President Emmert," Brands said.
Emmert is widely reviled by certain members of the Penn State community for attempts to use the Sandusky scandal to burnish the NCAA's tough enforcement image. That move ultimately failed.
Sanderson could not be reached for comment, but an athletic department spokesman said that the unprecedented decision is being appealed.
Good one >>> blood pressure was increasing .... getting near 160 by the Emmert quote about “another school”. When “slush” was mentioned ... I knew that I’d been had. I got married on April Fools Day in 1971 .... so I should have known that IAN was foolin.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT