ADVERTISEMENT

Just saw that Barkley is the front runner for Heisman in Vegas!

Jerademan74

Gold Member
Jun 29, 2011
Atlanta, GA
I don't have a link, but saw that he is now a 2:1 favorite, and Baker Mayfield is in 2nd place with 7:2 odds! I'd love to have our 2nd Heisman Trophy winner this year! Go Saquon!!!!!

http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsport...cends-to-top-of-bovadas-heisman-trophy-board/

Coming off a monster performance against Iowa, Penn State running back Saquon Barkley is now the new leader in the clubhouse for the Heisman Trophy, according to Bovada at least.

Bovada’s weekly updated Heisman odds put Barkley atop the Heisman board with 7/4 odds. He moves ahead of Oklahoma quarterback Baker Mayfield, USC quarterback Sam Darnold, and 2016 Heisman Trophy winner Lamar Jackson of Louisville, and separates himself from Oklahoma State quarterback Mason Rudolph.

Barkley has rushed for 518 yards with four rushing touchdowns in the first four weeks of the season. That alone would not be worthy of such high Heisman praise, of course, but Barkley has shown how good he is by contributing to the Penn State passing game. Barkley currently leads the Big Ten with 23 receptions and a conference-leading 335 receiving yards. Barkley has also added some yards on special teams returns, although he has not broken loose for a significant kickoff return just yet.

Barkley is not the only running back moving up Bovada’s board, however. Stanford running back Bryce Love went from 66/1 up to 33/1 following a big performance against UCLA. LOve is currently the nation’s leading rusher.

Two players were dropped from the Bovada board this week. Ohio State freshman running back J.K. Dobbins went from having 25/1 odds last week to off the board this week. I’m not entirely sure why Dobbins fell off the map so quickly, but he’ll have a chance to pop back on the board in the coming weeks. LSU running back Derrius Guice also fell off the board this week after having 50/1 odds last week.

View image on Twitter
DKlnNyoWAAA9-S3.jpg:small

Follow
Kevin McGuire

✔@KevinOnCFB

.@Bovada has updated the Heisman race too.

Saquon Barkley 7/4
Baker Mayfield 3/1
Sam Darnold 7/1
Lamar Jackson 7/1
Mason Rudolph 7/1

I think Barkley wins it this year barring injury. The media is on the Barkley train as they should be.

The media changes their mind every week, though. It's way too early in the season and the winner tends to be in the "What have you done for me lately" category. The ultimate winner will be in high-profile games of undefeated teams and shining late. That certainly COULD happen here as Barkley will be up against Michigan and OSU mid-season, drawing a lot more attention and then finishing off the year with some stat-building games. But PSU needs to win those games against UM and OSU.

Aren’t people sick of qbs getting the award just about every year. There are multiple qbs every year that throw ton of yards and tds, dime a dozen. Barkley is a type of player that comes along about once a decade or more. It would be a travesty if he didn’t get it.

Reactions: Chickenman Testa
what if Barkley wins it, does #26 become a retired number?

I would hope not. And I would hope Barkley wants to pass his jersey along. I would prefer "Commemorated Jerseys" rather than retired jerseys. I feel like it honors former players to continue the legacy of their number on the field. Cappy never gets to see his jersey number in a PSU game ever again, and if I were in his shoes, I would be a little sad about that.

The media changes their mind every week, though. It's way too early in the season and the winner tends to be in the "What have you done for me lately" category. The ultimate winner will be in high-profile games of undefeated teams and shining late. That certainly COULD happen here as Barkley will be up against Michigan and OSU mid-season, drawing a lot more attention and then finishing off the year with some stat-building games. But PSU needs to win those games against UM and OSU.
I generally agree with this, but didn't Lamar Jackson basically suck and get beat 2-3 times late last year?

If the season plays out as it has for the first 4 games, and the top 3 are Barkley, Mayfield and Jackson, I would think Jackson is out because of losses, and Mayfield is out because he is just a douche, and Barkley wins going away.

Reactions: Ranger Dan
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT