ADVERTISEMENT

Just how good is Penn State, really?

You are extremely full of shit

Grow up you stupid crybaby. From 1993 till 2011 PSU played in Columbus 10 time and
were held to 10 or less points in 7 of those game and scored 14 in two others while losing
9 of the games. Now an ignorant twit like you misses those good times and
questions our current ranking. What a fan. We need less like you.

INMO our current ranking is probably about right, anything between 6-10 seems fair to me.
It is hard to argue with this conclusion. On the whole, make great offensive plays without being a great offense. Some of us are dissapointed that SB did not get yardage he deserved and blamed JoMo, right or wrongly. Accordingly, we blame the whole offense. Yet the offense put points on the board and the Defense has some real problems that I think were masked by the points scored. With the benefit of hindsight, I think the Defense is a real problem. Three quarterbacks, Darnold (USC), Barrett (OSU) and the Michigan State guy all had pro-auditions against us. It seemed that opposing offensive coordinators were holding back till clutch situation presented itself, then they let loose and took us apart.
So the future looks bright on offense and the D is a question mark going forward. Lots of work needed on that side of the ball but I think we eventually get there.

A team with back to back 10-2 seasons is dam good especially when one considers the NCAA scholarship sanctions from 7 years ago. In my opinion the only thing that was missing this year was an elite defensive line, the type of line that would put constant pressure on the opposing QB's and ultimately demanding double teams. Next year both your O-Line and D-Line will be much improved and if Sanders turns out to be good you may looking at another 10-2 season. You guys are very lucky to have this trio leading this team: Franklin, Moorhead and Pry.

Agree 100%.... we are well ahead of the curve...good times ahead...nice job!!

Give me this team intact and I'll take my chance against anyone in CFB.

Given the same conditions, 'bama and clemson are probably better. But i'd take my chances.

We're missing 2 critical on the DL and 1 on OL. Put them back in and I'd line up and take my shot.

WE ARE that close... hang tough folks.. it's coming.

Mixed feelings about the status of "back" but the application of using the rankings is fair. To me, this team will be "back" when it has had the time to acquire the depth needed to finish... due to sanctions, we're still a bit short.

Moreover, folks around the country still aren't sold, and most are waiting to see what happens when SB leaves... do we go back to being a 15ish type of program or can we maintain.

Have to love what we've been treated to these past couple seasons... considering what was more likely to happen (an extension of the start of last year with 7-6, 8-5 type finishes), we've been quite fortunate -- both as a program and as its fans.

"Back" to me is more like the 90's... we return to that relatively consistent level of talent and on-field performance (not glossing over a couple years where we simply were still developing or lacked key talent at critical positions)... where almost every year we were in the discussion.

Presuming Franklin stays and the coaches adapt and we keep gathering up top recruiting talent, we should be in the discussion for top 10 just about every season. I expect that is right around the corner... hope I'm not being too blue/white with rose colored glasses. Time will tell.

You don’t have to be great to win a lot of games. Good QB play can get you a long way with good coaching. Look and Oregon in the recent past and VT with Michael Vick. Same depth charts I would bet and lot of 3* players(star system not everything, I know)

Reactions: N&B4PSU
We shouldn't have lost a game since the Michigan blowout from last year
Technically I agree but I also understand that it's difficult for a team to bring it's A game every single week. Look at OSU getting blown out at Iowa after a grueling win over PSU.

My problem with the USC & OSU losses is that Franklin tried to sit on a lead which put too much stress on a struggling defense. He seems to play it by the book instead of considering things like fatigue and momentum shifts. I think the MSU loss was just a perfect storm kind of thing. The team was exhausted after a tough road loss to OSU and had to follow it up with an early road game at MSU. Add the bad weather and the long delay in a visitor locker room.

I'm not sure how good anyone is to be honest. Other than Bama, I think anyone and everyone is beatable. Look at Clemson, beat by the Cuse. Georgia is probably good but they got hammered. Look at Iowa and Ohio State and how that game turned out.

I think we are a legit team, in the top 20. Are we better than Notre Dame? Better than USC? Who knows? And I think that is the way it is most years. I'm not sure I go into any game since 94 knowing that PSU isn't capable of being beaten.
Totally agree. Either there aren’t many elite teams, or there are a lot of them, each with one or more glaring weaknesses. There’s more partity in the top 30 or so than I remember seeing in any other season. And the next thirty aren’t too far behind the 20 in front of them.

At the end of the day I think fans can be overly critical of this team compared to the competition. Pretty much every 1 and 2 loss team has warts.

At this point you can't argue against Miami and Bama (and sort of Wisconsin).

If our team had any of the following people here would still be saying it clearly wasn't top ten.

Ohio State- 31 point loss to Iowa. 15 point loss to Oklahoma

Georgia- 23 point loss

Notre Dame- 33 point loss

Clemson- lost to syracuse

Oklahoma- Lost to Iowa State. Single score wins over texas, kansas state, and baylor.

USC- 35 point loss, 3 point loss to WSU. 3 point win over texas. 1 point win over Utah. 5 Point win over UCLA.

Auburn- Lost to LSU who lost to Troy...

TCU- Lost to Iowa State. 18 point loss to Oklahoma.

What other teams in the top 10 does better than go in to OSU off a bye and MSU and lose by a total of 4 points and lead the majority of those games?

I'd say OU because they did it, Bama should have lost at Miss St, Auburn lost twice already on road at equivalent teams to those PSU lost to (LSU and Clemson), Miami has beaten NOBODY on the road, Clemson lost at Syracuse, Georgia beat no one on the road and one tough game were blown out, ND were blown out in one big road game, Wisconsin hasn't played a team with a pulse on the road like Miami.

While I don't think we have the best team for obvious reasons, I don't think there is one dominant team at all and the margin for error is so slim for anyone in the top 20 if they were to play, especially on the road.

PSU never had a bad loss where they were completely blown away or to a team they had no business losing to. We lost to Sparty because of weather and 4 hour delay, yeah MSU made more plays than us at the end of the 8 hour game but we were up then had to sit and players had to eat pizza for snack (which is absurd with game to play but true) play sober coin toss in a cup games, and be shuffled around the campus to find a less crammed room all while Sparty was nice and comfy at home watching game film of the first 20 minutes in their football rooms)

This is a very, very, very, good football team; at this time right now, it is just four points away from greatness. The two game cusp. This team has not quite ripened. It will and soon. The best two lost team in the nation. They are young and I feel they will grow the most from now until spring ball starts.

These players and coaches will grow together in the coming games and months. The stage they are playing on, for both coaches and players is unlike any they have played or coached upon. They WILL grow! And quickly in their next two games. I have to agree on the accomplishments Stormin' has pointed out above. Do you realize the won lost percentage almost eclipses the first four years of Joes'. I mentioned this in the game day thread from Ohio State. What we have collectively witnessed in the past four years should have taken any PSU fans breathe away. This team can play with any team in the nation, and I mean this. Play WITH them. Never demolished. They are good, wait till they have true depth. How much will the twos and threes learn from watching film of the fourth quarter with Nebraska. Bunch of negative nellies out there.

Arm chair quarterbacks ought to google rpo and start learning, not coach from behind the facade knowledge.

ADVERTISEMENT