ADVERTISEMENT

Just as we want Harbaugh to stay at UM, hope Narduzzi (HE KNEW!) stays at Pitt forever

Pointing out what he’s done so far at Michigan is not writing him off. He has yet to prove he’s worth the money he’s making and he hasn’t proven that at any school he’s coached. I don’t care what he did or didn’t do at SF because we’re talking college coaching. I guess if he’s given a lifetime contract he may have a really good year once in a while...but I’m not sure and neither are you.

And there’s a difference between giving credit to another team and slobbering all over them. You also tend to give the benefit of the doubt in any discussion to any team over Penn State or any player from another team over a Penn State player. That’s either trolling or trying too hard to seem objective. If you prefer Penn State then the benefit of the doubt should go to Penn State (that’s called being a fan).

Read the title of the thread...this thread was starting saying we want Harbaugh to stay implying it we mean Michigan sucks. That's writing him off and that's pure stupidity.

Right, to be a Penn State fan I have to pretend that McSorley is the best college QB and he's going to be a second round pick. Comparing Penn State 2016 and Ohio State 2017 is comparing comparable resumes. Everyone on our roster is better than everyone on everyone else's roster. I'm thrilled Swift went to Georgia because he sucks. Sanders will win the Heisman next year and make us all forget who Saquon Barkley is. Urban Meyer doesn't know how to coach. He's going to retire in the next 3 years. LJ Sr can't coach--even though we all considered him the best DL coach when he was here. When you go to Ohio State you forget everything you knew. Please tell me what other stupid things I have to say to "be a Penn State fan"

I'm not even saying that Harbaugh is a bad coach, not at all. He is a very good coach. But he's not a great coach. Saban and Meyer are great coaches. Joe and Bear were great coaches. JF might be someday, but he's not a great coach yet, although he is clearly a great recruiter. He's also trending up, however, and Harbaugh is not.

Sorry, I’m not terrified of Harbaugh...he hasn’t done anything to be terrified of him.

And nice backhanded compliment for PSU at the end of your post....typical and which is exactly why everyone knows you’re a troll.

It wasn't' a backhanded compliment. I'm not impressed with our quality on wins last year. Our non-conference schedule is a joke. Our best win was Northwestern before the bowl game. I want better. I want more competition. If you enjoy slaughtering bad teams that's great. I don't.

Pretty sure you're terrified.

For those ball washing Harbaugh at Michigan and what a great coach he is....insiders from Michigan know what a MESS that program is right now.

The Elephant in the Room
→15Next >
Jim__S

.........we all know that the issues revolving around this team run much, much deeper and true frosh contributions are among the least of our problems. I spoke with many coaches at the AFCA, including several Wolverine staffers and former players and coaches. I asked questions, looked, learned and listened. There was a dynamic that made me feel uneasy with respect to both the current status and future direction of the program. Actually, very uneasy. This uneasiness emanates from several factors, some of which I will touch upon, others of which I will not. Suffice to say, I was on the brink of having a Darth Vader moment, and simply turning to the dark side when it comes to the program. I am an optimist by nature, especially as a Michigan fan, but as fans we sometimes see what we want to, or hope to see. Talking to coaches and people more connected to Ann Arbor, a different reality emerges. So where to begin? What to share in this posting and where to, shall we say, tread very lightly, if at all?

I guess the most logical place to start is with the Elephant in the Room. When Jim Harbaugh signed up to be head coach at Michigan there was a sense of inevitability amongst the fan base that he was the chosen one, the coach who would lead us to the promised land and etched in stone on the college football version of Mount Rushmore amongst the great current coaches, alongside the likes of Saban and Urban. The question was not if it would happen, but when. But here we are three years down the road coming off an 8-5 season. Yes, I expected a speed bump this season and was more pessimistic than most. That meant hoping for 10-2 and expecting 9-3, certainly not 8-5. The problem is that the losses were in good part due to issues that I do not expect to be resolved in the near future. Only so much of what we saw this season can be attributed to youth, especially on offense. Most of the responsibility, in my view, rests with the coaching staff. And Jim Harbaugh runs the show and the buck stops with him. That is the Elephant in the Room. Posing the question of what next IF Harbaugh fails, a possibility that seemed virtually impossible just months ago. We as fans have assigned blame to every staffer on the offensive side of the ball – Pep, Drevno, Jay and Frey. All of them have received their fair share of the heat. But the fact of the matter is that they were all hired by the same man, Jim Harbaugh, and for better or for worse he is accountable for what we saw on the field this season when it came to the offense.

Some people are hoping for Harbaugh to go out and hire another Don Brown to take control of the offense. This will not happen. Those people do not understand that Harbaugh is THE GUY when it comes to this offense. When Harbaugh was hired by Michigan, he was best known for his successful offensive coaching identity that had led to success at all his prior head coaching stops. A smash-mouth pro-style offense. An offensive line that dominates at the point of attack and creates space for backs to pick up nice chunks of yards often before even being touched. Tall, athletic QBs like Andrew Luck who know how to pick apart a secondary, especially through usage of the taller and physical array of tight ends. They are his schemes, he calls the plays (or at least has final veto power on them), and the kids that are being recruited on offense are being recruited to fit HIS scheme. He is not about to relinquish control over those responsibilities to an offensive version of Don Brown. Jim is the bossman on offense and that ain’t about to change. And that also may be why we may not see some of the coaching changes on offense that most are pining for. Lynch Drevno? Run Pep out of town. Tell Jay to get a job on his own? Anything, any measure that makes it seem as though steps are being taken by the almighty, Jim Harbaugh, to fix the problem. But what if he is the problem? What if the emperor has no clothes? What if what he did in his stops at Stanford and San Francisco can’t be replicated by him at Michigan, for whatever reason? We are all praying that is not the case, because if it is the alternative reality is downright scary. If Harbaughcan’t turn Michigan back into a major power, who can? Where do we go from here? I certainly don’t have the answers, but the question has to be posed. If he fails, will we turn into the next Nebraska, a formerly great program that we all know will never return to greatness given their location. Well folks, Michigan ain’t Georgia or Florida when it comes to talent, and the Rust Belt isn’t getting any better when it comes to producing blue-chip players.

So, yeah, I am asking about the Elephant in the Room, but why now, why not after the Ohio State or South Carolina loss? Anybody can go off on the sort of diatribe I have launched into thus far in this post without having any more concrete reasons than what has been seen in watching the games this season. Well, my answer is complicated in that I can only share so much in this post. Suffice to say, I have spoken to people close to the program and I have been far from comforted. Here are some of the comments I CAN share (the mild ones):

“I keep telling you. Michigan is in very bad shape. There are major problems at Michigan.”

“Same as usual……..It will be hard to win a championship with the same continued problems as every staff has had since Lloyd”

“We keep going through ADs and head coaches but have not figured out how to get the right assistants on both sides of the ball and put together a solid recruiting staff. You’ve got kids on the recruiting staff who are coming from Cincinnati and Navy. They have no clue when it comes to recruiting for a program like Michigan and it is starting to show”

“Martin screwed up royally hiring Rodriguez. I don’t think Harbaugh can turn it around. I honestly think that this could be a twenty-year recovery process”

“Michigan fans are nuts. They pretty much drove Lloyd out after he had gone to three Rose Bowls in five years. Now look at what they’ve got.”

“Harbaugh does not know how to recruit. He knows how to buy players within the rules. Hired Partridge and tapped into Gary, Singleton and other NJ kids. Hired Bush and got three kids from his school. Hired Biff and got Spanellis and had the other tackle before he flipped to Stanford. Hired Bam Richards who did not bring a lot of added value (J. Woods, K. Davis), so he was let go. Hired the Polynesian guy to tap into his connections. Give him credit because he was doing it within the rules, but the rules are changing and the screws are tightening on him. Plus the word gets out on how he operates. It is just not a sustainable model for success.”

“Recruiting was a disaster this year. They had to move on to many Plan B and Plan C types. The thing is, they think they can swoop in and land anybody they want when they want. That they are so smart and Michigan is so great. Confidence here, confidence there. Then they fail. They were SURE they had Isaiah Wilson and Najee last year. They can’t sleep on kids, they need to recruit like you play, through the whistle. I fear that hubris will be their downfall……..”

“Of course, with Harbaugh comes a certain image of a jackhammer who never stops working. Work ethic? If he is putting in so many hours how does he have time to watch full seasons of programs on Netflix? Working? Such as in his weekly podcast? His astute tweets. The first few years he did a great job of making Michigan a national brand again, especially in the off-season. The problem in so doing is that eventually you have to back up the “marketing” with on-the-field performance. Winning the off-season? Not a problem when you perform during the season. Perhaps work allocation is the issue. Perhaps he should be spending more time on working on offensive schematics and putting into place a quality offensive staff.”

Of course, once things head south on the win/loss column the knives come out in full force. I have factored this in. In fact, a couple of these people were already forewarning me of problems over a year ago when we were unbeaten. I did not listen.

Now, the scary thing is that I have not even gotten into the primary reasons why I have turned to the pessimistic side in terms of the direction of the program. Those are things I don’t want to talk about. No questions on that please. I pray that I am wrong

No doubt about that...I’m still convinced it’s LionRevival. He denies it and says he used to be someone else, but he won’t say who. He’s got that same arrogant, know it all attitude that LionRevival had.

Do you even remember what LionRevival cared about? If I was LionRevival I'd be in every MSU thread and Paterno thread. I don't care about any of that.

No doubt about that...I’m still convinced it’s LionRevival. He denies it and says he used to be someone else, but he won’t say who. He’s got that same arrogant, know it all attitude that LionRevival had.

I see it too. Similar troll style.

It wasn't' a backhanded compliment. I'm not impressed with our quality on wins last year. Our non-conference schedule is a joke. Our best win was Northwestern before the bowl game. I want better. I want more competition. If you enjoy slaughtering bad teams that's great. I don't.

Pretty sure you're terrified.
But you were impressed with Bama’s quality of wins...nuff said.

Yeah, I’m terrified he might get them back to 3rd place.

Read the title of the thread...this thread was starting saying we want Harbaugh to stay implying it we mean Michigan sucks. That's writing him off and that's pure stupidity.

Right, to be a Penn State fan I have to pretend that McSorley is the best college QB and he's going to be a second round pick. Comparing Penn State 2016 and Ohio State 2017 is comparing comparable resumes. Everyone on our roster is better than everyone on everyone else's roster. I'm thrilled Swift went to Georgia because he sucks. Sanders will win the Heisman next year and make us all forget who Saquon Barkley is. Urban Meyer doesn't know how to coach. He's going to retire in the next 3 years. LJ Sr can't coach--even though we all considered him the best DL coach when he was here. When you go to Ohio State you forget everything you knew. Please tell me what other stupid things I have to say to "be a Penn State fan"
I’m a Penn State fan and I’ve never said a single one of those things. You might not believe it but as a Penn State fan you should root for it and you don’t. You also don’t spend more time talking up players and coaches of other teams than your own. You’re either a troll or you get off on arguing just for the sake of arguing. And by the way, Sanders won’t win the Heisman next year but neither will Swift. You see, touting one PA player that didn’t choose Penn State as a potential Heisman winner in his sophomore year after doing nothing yet to put him on that map, is the very definition of a troll. If you’re truly not a troll, then one would think you would at least think how some of your posts are going to come across.

One of Pitt's combine invites is a punter who only put 28% of his punts inside the 20. Compare that to Gillikin who put 50% of his punts inside the 20.
That’s because the Pitt punter was punting from behind his own 20 yard line....

But you were impressed with Bama’s quality of wins...nuff said.

Yeah, I’m terrified he might get them back to 3rd place.

I was never impressed with Bama's wins. They played no one. In fact, I stated had we beat MSU or OSU we should have been 4. I said they were worthy of the 4 spot over the 2 loss teams and UCF

I’m a Penn State fan and I’ve never said a single one of those things. You might not believe it but as a Penn State fan you should root for it and you don’t. You also don’t spend more time talking up players and coaches of other teams than your own. You’re either a troll or you get off on arguing just for the sake of arguing. And by the way, Sanders won’t win the Heisman next year but neither will Swift. You see, touting one PA player that didn’t choose Penn State as a potential Heisman winner in his sophomore year after doing nothing yet to put him on that map, is the very definition of a troll. If you’re truly not a troll, then one would think you would at least think how some of your posts are going to come across.

collegefootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/01/23/with-tua-tagovailoa-lurking-bryce-love-is-bovadas-way-too-early-2018-heisman-favorite/ Swift is actually a Heisman contender in the minds of many despite limited carries in 2017. As a true freshman he ran for 600 yards as the third RB behind 2 guys that will go in the first 2-3 rounds of this draft. Georgia thought so highly of him they gave him that much playing time. He also had 17 catches. In 2 years Sanders has less than 400 yards and all of 8 catches. Swift has already proven, in one less year, he's likely far superior. I've liked Swift since he was a sophomore in college. He's done nothing to change my opinion. He's only strengthened it.

I had no idea Penn State fan can't appreciate talent or coaches on other teams. I guess other fans shouldn't appreciate Saquon or Gesicki since they root for a different team.

If someone starts a thread talking about how we should want Harbaugh to stay I'm going to respond because we should want him to stay because it helps makes our division and conference even stronger not because he's "all hype" lol

The Michigan defense was supposed to be lights out last year and we dragged them all over Beaver Stadium.
You are correct. I’m thinking they get their shit together.
Too much talent and pride to be that bad.
I’m hoping they won’t, but cautious.

The kids today are so different. I think one of Franklin’s strengths is his ability to relate to the kids. For example Brian Kelly cannot.
He berates his players. Harbaugh is a cartoon act. Borderline
of wearing thin. Rumor is there is conflict among coaches on the staff.
We all know that in order to be good you have to be able to wal threw a wall for your teammates and coach. If I were a player i’d Walk across the street to avoid Harbaugh. Remember the stock market disclaimer,
“ past success is no indication of future success.” He looks more weirdo
than winner to me.

collegefootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/01/23/with-tua-tagovailoa-lurking-bryce-love-is-bovadas-way-too-early-2018-heisman-favorite/ Swift is actually a Heisman contender in the minds of many despite limited carries in 2017. As a true freshman he ran for 600 yards as the third RB behind 2 guys that will go in the first 2-3 rounds of this draft. Georgia thought so highly of him they gave him that much playing time. He also had 17 catches. In 2 years Sanders has less than 400 yards and all of 8 catches. Swift has already proven, in one less year, he's likely far superior. I've liked Swift since he was a sophomore in college. He's done nothing to change my opinion. He's only strengthened it.

I had no idea Penn State fan can't appreciate talent or coaches on other teams. I guess other fans shouldn't appreciate Saquon or Gesicki since they root for a different team.

If someone starts a thread talking about how we should want Harbaugh to stay I'm going to respond because we should want him to stay because it helps makes our division and conference even stronger not because he's "all hype" lol
I know this will pain you to no end but Trace is also a Heisman contender - he’s no Jalen Hurts of course who would win the trophy after the first snap at PSU like he did at ‘Bama. - oh that’s right he was benched. You should heed George Costanzas advice - if everything you say and do is wrong do the opposite.

Given Michigan's recent history, their current coaching staff confusion, and the way they got pushed around last year at times, it does not seem reasonable to think that they will become a defense that is more than merely "very good". In fact, I'd say "very good" looks to be their ceiling right now. And that's certainly different than "lights out", in my book. On top of that, a few key injuries could bring them right down to mediocre.

I'm still trying to figure out why Don Brown has god-like status. If anybody knows, please explain it to me in the context of their games against us, OSU, MSU, and South Carolina.

I know this will pain you to no end but Trace is also a Heisman contender - he’s no Jalen Hurts of course who would win the trophy after the first snap at PSU like he did at ‘Bama. - oh that’s right he was benched. You should heed George Costanzas advice - if everything you say and do is wrong do the opposite.

Ummm...I never said Trace wasn't a Heisman candidate. Also, Hurts has nothing to do with McSorley. Hurts couldn't play in 2018 if he transferred. Try again little boy

Ummm...I never said Trace wasn't a Heisman candidate. Also, Hurts has nothing to do with McSorley. Hurts couldn't play in 2018 if he transferred. Try again little boy
You act is old assclown. You might want to get some new material the "I will contradict every positive PSU statement" is pretty tired - slow day in Moms basement?

Reactions: gregoryj95
You act is old assclown. You might want to get some new material the "I will contradict every positive PSU statement" is pretty tired - slow day in Moms basement?

What are you talking about? What was a positive statement for Penn State? That Harbaugh sucks? How its that a positive Penn State statement?

I can acknowledge Swift is better than Sanders and that McSorley isn't Baker Mayfield without the attitude while still being a Penn State fan. Just like Stanford and Georgia fans should have been able to acknowledge Barkley > Love & Chubb/Michel. Acknowledging Barkley > Love doesn't make Stanford fans trolls or pessimistic. It just means they know what they're talking about. Try it.

Swift won’t win the Heisman...he won’t get enough carries. And there’s a difference between being the #3 guy behind two excellent backs and being the #1 guy where everyone will focus on you. Not to mention with their recruiting, who knows how many guys Swift will have to split carries with.

And again there’s a difference between appreciating and slobbering over. You appreciate our guys and slobber over everyone else’s.

Swift won’t win the Heisman...he won’t get enough carries. And there’s a difference between being the #3 guy behind two excellent backs and being the #1 guy where everyone will focus on you. Not to mention with their recruiting, who knows how many guys Swift will have to split carries with.

And again there’s a difference between appreciating and slobbering over. You appreciate our guys and slobber over everyone else’s.

Swift is a Heisman candidate...just like McSorley. I don't know why you keep talking about him winning it next year. Love, Grier, Tate or Taylor are probably the favorites. I'd probably put my money (given the odds) on Kyler Murray. We both know Big XII numbers become inflated, right?

Also, did you miss Barkley talking about Swift? I'm far from the only person that sees this kid as a potential top 10 pick in 2019

Using your logic I definitely slobbered over Saquon so you're wrong

Swift is a Heisman candidate...just like McSorley. I don't know why you keep talking about him winning it next year. Love, Grier, Tate or Taylor are probably the favorites. I'd probably put my money (given the odds) on Kyler Murray. We both know Big XII numbers become inflated, right?

Also, did you miss Barkley talking about Swift? I'm far from the only person that sees this kid as a potential top 10 pick in 2019

Using your logic I definitely slobbered over Saquon so you're wrong
I never said McSorley would win the Heisman, I said he would be in the running (which you argued with). And you did not slobber over Barkley...you did slobber over Mayfield and Love though.

I never said McSorley would win the Heisman, I said he would be in the running (which you argued with). And you did not slobber over Barkley...you did slobber over Mayfield and Love though.

Right...I never said Barkley's the best college RB since Adrian Peterson or that he was the best player in college football this year. I don't even like Mayfield. I think he's a bust at the next level. I've called him a douchebag countless times. I just said he was a lock to win the Heisman because I understand how the vote works. How did I slobber over Love when I said Barkley's better than him...it isn't even close. You don't comprehend the difference between liking a player and comprehend how the system works. Baker is a better college QB than Trace--I'm guessing that's why you think I'm slobbering over him

Right...I never said Barkley's the best college RB since Adrian Peterson or that he was the best player in college football this year. I don't even like Mayfield. I think he's a bust at the next level. I've called him a douchebag countless times. I just said he was a lock to win the Heisman because I understand how the vote works. How did I slobber over Love when I said Barkley's better than him...it isn't even close. You don't comprehend the difference between liking a player and comprehend how the system works. Baker is a better college QB than Trace--I'm guessing that's why you think I'm slobbering over him
You never explained why Baker is better than Trace (other than Trace plays for PSU and Baker doesn’t). Saying Baker would win the Heisman just because of the way the system works but then throwing in that Baker is better than Trace is exactly my point...that’s what you always do. Baker had better numbers, but so do most QB’s in the Big 12.

Sorry, I’m not terrified of Harbaugh...he hasn’t done anything to be terrified of him.

And nice backhanded compliment for PSU at the end of your post....typical and which is exactly why everyone knows you’re a troll.
Just reading the nature of his posts in this thread it suddenly dawned on me that this guy is MK, the guy who got banned from BWI's premium board. Looking at his voluminous post count and coming on board in Jan of '17 it all makes sense.

Reactions: gregoryj95

Hey MK, how did your prediction of NFL stardom for your boy, Hackenberg pan out? Hasn't played a single NFL down in two years, and will get released and out of the league in '18.

We have an experienced QB and OL next year. Lots of talent everywhere else with not a lot of experience. I expect us to win but I'm not as confident as the rest of you. This game is early in the season and on the road. I'd rather wait until we win before pounding my chest.

You never explained why Baker is better than Trace (other than Trace plays for PSU and Baker doesn’t). Saying Baker would win the Heisman just because of the way the system works but then throwing in that Baker is better than Trace is exactly my point...that’s what you always do. Baker had better numbers, but so do most QB’s in the Big 12.

Baker did have far better numbers. He's also more accurate IMO. The one thing I will concede is that he had a ton of receivers running wide open which made his life a lot easier. He also didn't have the best player in the country in the backfield with him. I'm very interested to see how Trace performs next year.

Just reading the nature of his posts in this thread it suddenly dawned on me that this guy is MK, the guy who got banned from BWI's premium board. Looking at his voluminous post count and coming on board in Jan of '17 it all makes sense.

I was never on the premium board. I don't even know who "MK" is.

Oh its you alright. The way you hijacked the thread, you just cant help yourself. I will be paying attention to your new moniker in the future.;)
OMG I think you nailed it. MK was an absolute unmitigated, intolerable ass who singlehandedly made the premium board suck. It was so wonderful when they finally banned him.

Not sure if this guy is that guy, but it seems likely. Either way, he's quickly become insufferable.

If the guy comes flying in here to attack me, or fires up some other handle to do the same, I think we'll know.

Reactions: Mudge1026
Oh its you alright. The way you hijacked the thread, you just cant help yourself. I will be paying attention to your new moniker in the future.;)
He’s definitely someone many posters would know because when he started posting under this current handle I called him LionRevival. He said he’s not LionRevival but posters would be surprised if they knew who he was...so you may be on to something.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT