ADVERTISEMENT

Junior worlds

Berge coming up next for gold at 86kg vs Magamadov (FRA) on Mat B.
  • No offense on either side through 1 minute. Berge shoots, Magamadov counters, nearly scores but ruled grounded OOB. Berge hit with the first passivity warning.
  • Berge on the clock, gets to both legs, working to convert and he does, but gives up a point.
  • Berge again with a shot and circles behind to make it 4-1 at break.
  • Berge in on legs, Magamadov flips him for two and Berge circles around for the reversal point. 5-3.
  • Magamadov in on both legs, and gets a 4. Ouch. 7-5.
  • Berge in on legs and tries to lace but exposes himself, down 9-5.
  • Berge steps out, 10-5. That'll be it.
  • Nice wrestling by Berge but he just lost a few weird exchanges that could've gone either way. The exchange that made it 9-5 I don't see how that was two for Magamadov, who was awarded for basically stopping a lace mid-lace. Probably should've been challenged.

Last edited:
Smith had a decent first period but got wrecked in the second without much of a fight.

Reactions: danoftw
The exchange that made it 9-5 I don't see how that was two for Magamadov, who was awarded for basically stopping a lace mid-lace. Probably should've been challenged.
giphy-downsized-large.gif

Reactions: tikk10
Feldman was up 8-5 on two 4s that could've gone either way, but then got caught underneath by GEO and pinned.

Reactions: danoftw
Berge coming up next for gold at 86kg vs Magamadov (FRA) on Mat B.
  • No offense on either side through 1 minute. Berge shoots, Magamadov counters, nearly scores but ruled grounded OOB. Berge hit with the first passivity warning.
  • Berge on the clock, gets to both legs, working to convert and he does, but gives up a point.
  • Berge again with a shot and circles behind to make it 4-1 at break.
  • Berge in on legs, Magamadov flips him for two and Berge circles around for the reversal point. 5-3.
  • Magamadov in on both legs, and gets a 4. Ouch. 7-5.
  • Berge in on legs and tries to lace but exposes himself, down 9-5.
  • Berge steps out, 10-5. That'll be it.
  • Nice wrestling by Berge but he just lost a few weird exchanges that could've gone either way. The exchange that made it 9-5 I don't see how that was two for Magamadov, who was awarded for basically stopping a lace mid-lace. Probably should've been challenged.
Damn, that was a winnable match! Great run by Bennett regardless.

Reactions: 82bordeaux
The craziest part about the Iranian hwt is he wrestled cadets (17U) last year. So he is only 18 and looks 28. He is a machine and will be a force for years

Another strange match by Bouzakis. Loses 16-15. He gives up points really easily at times and seems lost in certain positions but then he takes a beautiful shot and finishes clean or finishes huge for 4 and looks like a world beater. I just really don’t know what to make of him at the college level. I think Mendez is the better prospect even though Bouzakis beat him to make the team. He’s someone I’m going to follow in college because I really don’t have a clue if he’s going to be a national champion or just a ncaa qualifier.
I also heard on Flo today that Kueter only had 6 wrestling practices since trials because he’s been playing football all summer?!?! 6 practices and he goes and wins worlds! Absolutely crazy. You can tell how green he is as well because he just hasn’t spent much time on the mat. If and it’s a huge if he commits to wrestling he will do big things. Kind of crazy to think though that he probably wasn’t even the favorite to make the team. Christian Carroll won greco and was signed up for freestyle but ended up not wrestling and is going to be wrestling Greco in a couple days. Him and Kueter split matches earlier but I think Carroll was probably favored if they met at trials. Hopefully Carroll does well in greco but I don’t understand why he choose to go that route? Same thing Bouzakis did last year.
I know this tournament doesn’t change my mind about Feldman as a prospect but his weight definitely does give me pause. He just doesn’t have the frame to be a true heavyweight. Guys like Geno, Taha, Zare, and Masoumi are tall and massive and will be able to move Nick all over the mat. His build looks identical to Snyder. Super barrel chested with big legs. Not short but not tall like some of the heavy’s I just mentioned. Flo said they thought he was 230 tops. If that’s true he has to come down to 97kg. In college absolutely wrestle heavy just like Snyder but if he wants to win world and Olympic medals it should be at 97kg and not heavy.

Wonder if @tikk10 ’s night out with Roar included ordering the Early Bird Special
I'm still too busy for retirement jokes, but I did just have hernia surgery so that must qualify me for a new tier.

I was confusing the fact the Elor recently made the senior team for the first time, though she's still junior eligible (and has at least one more year there). She'll probably have a marginally more difficult time than she's having here when she starts wrestling seniors, but I'd wager not much harder.

Elor coming up on mat C. A win will send her to the cadet finals.

Taking on Reetika (IND), who gets behind her, but Elor quad-pods and gets out of bounds, only giving up one.
Elor with an arm-spin attempt, which doesn't work, but she spins behind for two.
Another go-behind for two more. A tight gut makes it 6-1.
And there's another go-behind, into a lace x2 and that's it, 12-1 with :37 remaining in the first.
Elor into the finals

Last edited:
I'm still too busy for retirement jokes, but I did just have hernia surgery so that must qualify me for a new tier.

I was confusing the fact the Elor recently made the senior team for the first time, though she's still junior eligible (and has at least one more year there). She'll probably have a marginally more difficult time than she's having here when she starts wrestling seniors, but I'd wager not much harder.
Based on what I saw in person at Final X (and the facts, iirc, that she won juniors last year when she was cadet eligible and that she actually won both cadets and juniors last year), I'd wager the same. Barring injury or some other radical change, I see her becoming the GOAT of USA women's wrestling.

Based on what I saw in person at Final X (and the facts, iirc, that she won juniors last year when she was cadet eligible and that she actually won both cadets and juniors last year), I'd wager the same. Barring injury or some other radical change, I see her becoming the GOAT of USA women's wrestling.
I agree she is great and could become the GOAT but she is going to be challenged by Kennedy Blades for that spot. I think Kennedy might even have a higher ceiling and a bit more athleticism plus a frame that she is going to grow into. No matter what we are going to get to witness 2 absolutely incredible wrestlers have hopefully very long and successful careers.

Reactions: creamery freak
I agree she is great and could become the GOAT but she is going to be challenged by Kennedy Blades for that spot. I think Kennedy might even have a higher ceiling and a bit more athleticism plus a frame that she is going to grow into. No matter what we are going to get to witness 2 absolutely incredible wrestlers have hopefully very long and successful careers.
DOEGOAT

I evidently missed Macluso losing 6-1 by Natami (JPN) in the gold medal match at 57kg. On replay, she hung in there pretty well and was ahead 1-0 at the break on a shot clock point. The Japanese women are just so positionally sound though. Macluso looked close to scoring in the second but couldn't follow through. It was still 2-1 until :24 remained when Natami went behind Macluso, who was looking to push out, and added a lace.

ADVERTISEMENT