ADVERTISEMENT

Junior worlds

We didn’t get to see much of Facundo but I think he’s pretty damn good.

Anyone who takes a good senior level Iranian to the brink is going to score points at NCAAs.

Facundo had better be a Starrocci level rider... He doesn't have a leg attack. His underhook throw by is pretty good, but guys are going to clue in on his touch-and-go duck being his only offensive weapon.

Facundo is going to be next level in the NCAA. His offense will Continue to expand each year like the rest of PSU

Reactions: nitlion6
Facundo had better be a Starrocci level rider... He doesn't have a leg attack. His underhook throw by is pretty good, but guys are going to clue in on his touch-and-go duck being his only offensive weapon.
Starocci makes riding look easy...and f#$
giphy-downsized-large.gif

This is where I’m at. Rewatched the match a couple times and while the competition level makes it tough to evaluate, he still seems to be lacking a bit in the way of attacks. He showed a swing single at trials and the Open that I really liked, but the competition wasn’t in his level. Still needs to get back at finding angles and chaining attacks. Otherwise he’s just a more athletic JVerk on his feet right now.

Last edited:
Bouzakis vs Iran!! Big match to get to the semis and guarantee to wrestle for a medal. Huge collar tie from Bouzakis and the refs don’t like it. Sucker drag for a Td for Iran. Almost a turn but Bouzakis powers out of it. Kid is freaky strong I think. Bouzakis with a beautiful double, tries to go big but only gets 1 on stepout. Challenge by Iran. Lost so another point for Nick. 2-2. Lost my feed but come back and it’s 4-4 but Iran is hurt as Bouzakis was cranking a bar. Iran is winning on criteria. Td Iran 6-4. Break. Beautiful shot by Nick and it’s 6-6 and huge gut for Bouzakis! Up 8-6. Stepout for Iran 8-7. Nick doesn’t know what to do against the underhook but when he attacks he is scoring Bouzakis step out. 9-7. 1 min. Nick gives up 2 on the edge. 9-9 but losing on criteria. Td and turn Iran. Up 13-9 with 25 left. Td at the buzzer but loses 13-11. Weird match. Bouzakis gives up some easy points and looked lost against the underhook but then hit some beautiful shots and is super physical. Not sure what to make of it

just checked and Smith is down 10-2 in the second. Smith got teched 12-2 by GEO

1. Bouzakis got tired. He lost some steam after he gave up that 2 on the edge to make it 9-9. It takes a tremendous amount of energy to hit those whizzer kicks. He was begging for a challenge (that he might have won) - and steiber should have done it for at least a lung timeout.

2. Bouzakis only went to his underhook one time, which was really surprising.

I don't know how others feel but it would be nice if they had a loser's bracket for the bronze medal so everyone at least gets 2 matches.
With short turnaround prelim matches, it seems all too easy for the seeding to contribute to one-and-done when second round wrestlers meet with one having a grueling match compared to the other's coasting.

Although I'm not sure whether this was the case for Iran vs India, I still found Alex's situation reminiscent of some of Zain's tournaments.

On the other hand, most competitors are there to win it all, not take bronze, so I guess it's best if one learns to be the bad seed.

Berge up now against Kucuksolak (TUR), winner goes to the finals. Berge with the headwrap from last match.
Berge hit for passivity warning, but neither guy active. Now Berge is on the clock. Gives up the point. Kucuksolak warned for passivity now. Oof, Berge gives up a four off a knee pick that he didn't see coming, down 5-0 at the break.
Berge active now, gets a step out point. Berge with a leg and converts near the edge but the whistle blew. Kucuksolak visibly gassed, ref is goosing him back to center. Kucuksolak now pretending to have a knee injury and will we see cold spray? We will. Good as new. 2 minutes remaining, 5-2. There's another step out point, 5-3. Berge would lose on criteria so needs to get to 6 somehow. It's 5-4, another step out point. Kucuksolak again playing hurt. Berge drives him out again, 5-5 but behind on criteria. 1:15 left. Kucuksolak gets to a leg but Berge gets behind, goes up 7-5. Kucuksolak dead on his feet. Scramble which Berge wins, 9-5, and looking lace but no. 9-5, :19 remaining. Kucuksolak gets a TD but can't get the turn, it'll end 9-7. Kucuksolak dead on the mat, Berge reaches down and slaps his hand. He's a finalist.

Last edited:
Berge up now against Kucuksolak (TUR), winner goes to the finals. Berge with the headwrap from last match.
Berge hit for passivity warning, but neither guy active. Now Berge is on the clock. Gives up the point. Kucuksolak warned for passivity now. Oof, Berge gives up a four off a knee pick that he didn't see coming, down 5-0 at the break.
Berge active now, gets a step out point. Berge with a leg and converts near the edge but the whistle blew. Kucuksolak visibly gassed, ref is goosing him back to center. Kucuksolak now pretending to have a knee injury and will we see cold spray? We will. Good as new. 2 minutes remaining, 5-2.

TUR should be embarrassed by this injury stalling

Reactions: Idahopennstatefan
great match. huge gut check by berge. Tur is bigly tired...

Feldman up against Masoumi (IRAN), down 3-0. Feldman is giving up quite a bit of size. 4-0 now, driven out of bounds. Feldman also has a caution. 5-0, plus an extra point for an extra caution. Break, down 6-0.

I remember seeing Feldman at the Clarion Open last year horsing college guys as a high schooler. I don't recall him looking that small, though.

Feldman gets in on an inside single, but can't turn, Masoumi goes behind. 9-0. Now 9-1 with a step out. Masoumi with a clean takedown to end it, 11-1.

Feldman up against Masoumi (IRAN), down 3-0. Feldman is giving up quite a bit of size. 4-0 now, driven out of bounds. Feldman also has a caution. 5-0, plus an extra point for an extra caution. Break, down 6-0.

I remember seeing Feldman at the Clarion Open last year horsing college guys as a high schooler. I don't recall him looking that small, though.

Feldman gets in on an inside single, but can't turn, Masoumi goes behind. 9-0. Now 9-1 with a step out. Masoumi with a clean takedown to end it, 11-1.
Masoumi is absurd but man I hate watching that Iranian style sometimes.

Volk up now vs Bazarbayev (KAZ) for gold in 57kg.
Volk spins from a front headlock but Bazarbayev quad-pods, Volk gets a step out point though, up 1-0.
Volk with a leg and fighting hard to convert, which he does. 3-0.
Volk with a nice throw-by but ref stops action and warns for some reason, taking away what would've been two points. 3-0 at the break.
Volk goes on the clock but I don't know why, he was holding center. 2 minutes remain.
3-1 now, one minute remaining. Volk again looking front headlock, now reaching out for a leg, but not getting it. Ref hits Volk with a caution (why?) and it's 3-2, :20 left.
Volk runs out the clock and he's a gold medal winner. Nice match, bright future for this kid.

Last edited:
some will say volk stalled his butt off in pd 2

others will say he kept good position and hand fought aggressively

in the end everyone will call him world champ

all that matters is the history book!
Volk shut down his offense but the ref was tilting the scales, Bazarbayev did nothing to earn the points. They were sharing the center pretty equally.

Reactions: Idahopennstatefan
Cornella is up 3-0 at the break vs Aoyagi (JPN), on a passivity point and a takedown.
Nice scramble with Aoyagi emerging on top, 3-2 with 2 minutes remaining.
Cornella gives up a TD, down 4-3, a minute remaining. Aoyagi gets warned for fingers.
Cornella gets behind and gets two, nearly gives up an exposure point but holds on for the win. Limps off.
Challenge, Aoyagi's corner probably thinking there was exposure on the last exchange.
Challenge won, 6-6, Aoyagi wins on criteria.

Last edited:
Volk up now vs Bazarbayev (KAZ) for gold in 57kg.
Volk spins from a front headlock but Bazarbayev quad-pods, Volk gets a step out point though, up 1-0.
Volk with a leg and fighting hard to convert, which he does. 3-0.
Volk with a nice throw-by but ref stops action and warns for some reason, taking away what would've been two points. 3-0 at the break.
Volk goes on the clock but I don't know why, he was holding center. 2 minutes remain.
3-1 now, one minute remaining. Volk again looking front headlock, now reaching out for a leg, but not getting it. Ref hits Volk with a caution (why?) and it's 3-2, :20 left.
Volk runs out the clock and he's a gold medal winner. Nice match, bright future for this kid.
The cautions against Volk were for grabbing the singlet. The 2nd one was questionable in my opinion.

Reactions: danoftw and tikk10
Cornella is up 3-0 at the break vs Aoyagi (JPN), on a passivity point and a takedown.
Nice scramble with Aoyagi emerging on top, 3-2 with 2 minutes remaining.
I have no idea why there wasn't 2 exposure.

This is where I’m at. Rewatched the match a couple times and while the competition level makes it tough to evaluate, he still seems to be lacking a bit in the way of attacks. He showed a swing single at trials and the Open that I really liked, but the competition wasn’t in his level. Still needs to get back at finding angles and chaining attacks. Otherwise he’s just a more athletic JVerk on his feet right now.
I get where you're going--but the sample size is still pretty small. There are many levels to wrestling. Remember that DT made Bo friggen Nickal look like a guy w/ no attacks. We'll know soon enough where Alex is WRT the competition he'll see in the NCAA.

Mesenbrink up for gold now against Heybatov (AZE) at 70kg.
Mesenbrink, wrestling pretty loose, lost a scramble and gave up 2 x 2, got a reverse, and then gave up 2 more exposure. Down 6-1.
Mesenbrink has a leg in the air but can't convert.
6-2 after a step out.
7-2? Yow. Looked to be 6-4. No challenge.
Break. Mesenbrink is getting to legs but Heybatov is wily.
7-3 step out.
Heybatov looks a bit tired. 2:32 left.
Heybatov gets a leg and converts, 9-3.
Mesenbrink with a nice takedown, 9-5.
Now 9-6, 1:31 remaining. Heybatov gassed, slow back to center.
Heybatov in on a leg, looking to churn some clock.
Heybatov in on a leg again, Mesenbrink with some incredible D, but gives it up, 11-6.
Mesenbrink gets to a leg, but only given 1 for a step out. Time running down.
Heybatov dives, gets two more and time runs out. 13-7. Nice run by Mesenbrink. Heybatov is completely out of gas, Mesenbrink looks like he could go again.

Last edited:
AZE looks good. Mese may still break him. AZE walking slow back to the center

I get where you're going--but the sample size is still pretty small. There are many levels to wrestling. Remember that DT made Bo friggen Nickal look like a guy w/ no attacks. We'll know soon enough where Alex is WRT the competition he'll see in the NCAA.

Also: There are likely very few if any guys at 165 in the NCAA who throw and run an underhook like a senior level Iranian.

AZE had composure. Mesi left open his legs because of his pressure.

Mesi will be a.o.k.

Absolutely! I don’t think he’s done developing either. Still just a pup. But that’s where I’m at right now.

Reactions: js8793
ADVERTISEMENT