ADVERTISEMENT

Junior worlds

Absolutely! I don’t think he’s done developing either. Still just a pup. But that’s where I’m at right now.
totally fair analysis. we've always known he's a talented defensive wrestler. he showed that today again. he didn't show he could score reliably and that will be his ceiling going forward. shame we only got to see one match and nobody good showed up at the trials or open for him.

Alex went from wrestling guys he should 10-0 when he was in the US to a guy many people didn't give him a chance against when he got the draw. Still pretty hard to get a read on what's in store for us but I'm pretty optimistic. Obviously it's better he is wrestling these matches than not. Also, his gameplan is probably different in free than folk (duh)

I didn't pencil him in for many points this season possibly due to the sheer fact that weight is so deep but I'm very excited to see him develop.

Alex went from wrestling guys he should 10-0 when he was in the US to a guy many people didn't give him a chance against when he got the draw. Still pretty hard to get a read on what's in store for us but I'm pretty optimistic. Obviously it's better he is wrestling these matches than not. Also, his gameplan is probably different in free than folk (duh)

I didn't pencil him in for many points this season possibly due to the sheer fact that weight is so deep but I'm very excited to see him develop.
I actually think he is the kid that will take the loss in stride and use it for motivation. Like you said 165 is loaded and he will need every edge he can muster to make the podium.

Reactions: danoftw
I will say Iranian underhooks can throw you off your game big time. Yazdani even did it to DT. Alex could have learned a variety of good leg attacks (can't imagine he's not under Casey) but the pressure forced him to go back to what he was most comfortable with, the duck under.

We didn’t get to see much of Facundo but I think he’s pretty damn good.

Anyone who takes a good senior level Iranian to the brink is going to score points at NCAAs.
just saw that elahi didn't even make the repechage. got beat pretty badly by jaglan who then got beat badly by kamiya. rough showing for a returning champ.

just saw that elahi didn't even make the repechage. got beat pretty badly by jaglan who then got beat badly by kamiya. rough showing for a returning champ.

It looks to me like they really, really messed up the 74kg and 125kg brackets.

it's random draw at this level i believe. could be wrong.
Correct and styles make matchups.

Keep in mind Aaron Brooks went 0-1 at junior worlds also one year after he won silver (after spending a year at the Olympic OTC also) Stuff happens

Reactions: mcpat
Hot take time? I think Alex has the potential to be better at folk than he is at free. I know free is his preferred style (and who can blame him when he won 2 world medals at the cadet level) but I can see him becoming a menacing rider with his length and size as well. It's clear he was working on that last year as well. Similarly, I think defensive wrestlers can thrive more in folk (with some of the rules that allows for it) It won't be the most exciting style (similar to how some criticize RBY's) but I think Casey can teach Alex a style that'll win him matches against good opponents.

Hot take time? I think Alex has the potential to be better at folk than he is at free. I know free is his preferred style (and who can blame him when he won 2 world medals at the cadet level) but I can see him becoming a menacing rider with his length and size as well. It's clear he was working on that last year as well. Similarly, I think defensive wrestlers can thrive more in folk (with some of the rules that allows for it) It won't be the most exciting style (similar to how some criticize RBY's) but I think Casey can teach Alex a style that'll win him matches against good opponents.

I remember when Carter couldn’t score a takedown to save his life two years ago.

He beat Demetrius Romero with an escape and ride out, Caleb Romero 2x with an escape and ride out (one in TB1), Massa with back points in TB-1, etc.

Not saying that Facundo will get there, but for a good portion of the season, and even after B1Gs, I don’t think many people had Carter written down as the NCAA champ two weeks later. The template is there: a super talented defensive wrestler with a good motor.

Last edited:
I remember when Carter couldn’t score a takedown to save his life two years ago.

He beat Demetrius Romero with an escape and ride out, Caleb Romero 2x with an escape and ride out (one in TB1), Massa with back points in TB-1, etc.

Not saying that Facundo will get there, but for a good portion of the season, and even after B1Gs, I don’t think many people had Carter written down as the NCAA champ two weeks later. The template is there: a super talented defensive wrestler with a good motor.
I remember Carter in high school.....not scoring a lot against good competition and losing some freestyle matches as a SR. One person who was ALWAYS high on Carter was Willie Saylor.....back when he was still with FLO. After watching some of Carter's freestyle losses....not scoring much on offense.....I wondered if Willie was right. Damned straight Willie was right. :) So: Lets Ask Willie :)

Reactions: hlstone and AndEEss
The irony of Ohio State coaches not throwing a lunger brick.
Knowing Bouzakis’ old man. This no doubt mad him upset. It seemed to spiral out of control after they didn’t throw it.
agreed with Nic gassing out. It’s usually the international wrestler who does that and the Americans crush them in the second.
Nic to the portal, next week. Just kidding.

• Haha
Reactions: vhsalum
That was a beat down against Feldman. How nice would it be to have that Iranian HWT in the B10.

for a good portion of the season, and even after B1Gs, I don’t think many people had Carter written down as the NCAA champ two weeks later.
giphy.gif

I remember Carter in high school.....not scoring a lot against good competition and losing some freestyle matches as a SR. One person who was ALWAYS high on Carter was Willie Saylor.....back when he was still with FLO. After watching some of Carter's freestyle losses....not scoring much on offense.....I wondered if Willie was right. Damned straight Willie was right. :) So: Lets Ask Willie :)
@smalls103 loves Facundo...as do I. ;)

And @82bordeaux !

• Love
Reactions: 82bordeaux
US currently in first with 84 points. Iran second with 74. Not sure exactly how team points are awarded, but Flo seems to think we'll be lucky to win it.

where are you seeing those numbers? floarena (https://arena.flowrestling.org/event/a9a069d5-0f48-df89-6eed-db8ad25e0eca) has iran at 144 and USA at 132. iran has 3 in the finals and 1 in a 3rd place match, USA has 1 in the finals and 2 in 3rd place matches.

each win is worth 5 points (difference between 1st and 2nd is 5 points and difference between 3rd and 5th is 5 points) so USA needs to win 3 more matches than iran to overcome the 12 point deficit and take the team title. the only way that happens is if USA goes 3-0 and iran goes 0-4. seems unlikely.

Reactions: vhsalum
Yeah, zero chance that Iranian loses at HWT unless his opponent brings a bat.

That might not be enough.

I don't know that Feldman has the frame to build up to a true HWT/125kg guy. Masoumi dwarfed him, and Feldman was NOT demonstrably quicker. I was absolutely amazed at how quick Masoumi was on his feet.

Yeah, it seems like Feldman doesn't have much on his frame to get considerably larger without sacrificing quickness. Seems to have a Kyle Synder build - imo he could make 97kg with a few adjustments.

Yeah, it seems like Feldman doesn't have much on his frame to get considerably larger without sacrificing quickness. Seems to have a Kyle Synder build - imo he could make 97kg with a few adjustments.

If he's not beating the tar out of Orndorff right now, and it's reported he's not even beating him, he's not going to be the starter this season.

If he has legit senior level aspirations, he might seriously consider going the Snyder route and staying small. He might sacrifice his NCAA results but be better off at making 97kg (213lbs) long term. Get no bigger than a lean 230-235.

ADVERTISEMENT