ADVERTISEMENT

Junior World Championships Thread

tikk10

Nov 6, 2015
I noticed there wasn't a thread on the Junior Worlds from Trnava, Slovakia, so here y'all go. The Women and Greco portions are already ongoing (tournament runs from 9/17 > 9/23) so feel free to add to anything here, but I'll focus on FS, which starts on Friday, 9/21. I'm just posting the general info that you'd think would be easily findable in one place but rarely ever is. Slovakia is 6 hrs ahead, but I'm just listing the EST times

Schedule: 57-65-70-79-97kg
Thu 9/20, 7:30 am EST: Draw
Fri 9/21, 4:30 am > 8 am EST: Qualification rd
Fri 9/21, 11:15 am > noon EST: Semis
Sat 9/22, 4:30 am > 8 am EST: Repechage
Sat 9/22, noon > 2:30 pm EST Finals

Schedule: 61-74-86-92-125kg
Fri 9/21, 8:00 am EST: Draw
Sat 9/22, 4:30 am > 8 am EST: Qualification rd
Sat 9/22, 11:15 am > noon EST: Semis
Sun 9/23, 10:00 am > 11:45 am EST: Repechage
Sun 9/23, noon > 2:30 pm EST: Finals

Team
57 kg: Daton Fix (Sand Springs, Okla./Titan Mercury WC/Cowboy RTC)
61 kg: Joshua Saunders (St. Louis, Mo./Titan Mercury WC)
65 kg: Domonick Demas (Dublin, Ohio/OKRTC)
70 kg: Brady Berge (Mantorville, Pa./Nittany Lion WC)
74 kg: Mekhi Lewis (Somerset, N.J./Southeast RTC)
79 kg: Aaron Brooks (Hagerstown, Md./USOTC)
86 kg: Lou Deprez (Hilton, N.Y./Bearcat WC)
92 kg: Jacob Warner (Washington, Ill./Hawkeye WC)
97 kg: Zach Elam (Kansas City, Mo./Team Central WC)
125 kg: Gable Steveson (Apple Valley, Minn./Minnesota Storm)

TV
Track is broadcasting and charging $29.99 for the tournament, but it's also included in the $49.00 "Season" pass. (What's a "season" you ask? Good luck figuring that out on Track's site, I couldn't. Track provides a list of events included in a season that range in date from Feb 2017 through Dec 2018, which would seem like more than one "season" by most definitions but it's not clear to me if I sign up now whether I'd need to buy another "season" a few months from now).

Thanks. I was just putting the senior level sessions in my gCal for October. Might add these too. I could share a gCal if anyone is interested--I'm not likely to get up at 4 to watch Jr.'s, but I'm tentatively planning on doing so for DT's run.

Last edited:
Bey had a rough go of it, but Schultz took bronze. Berreyesa took silver. Positives to build on for Greco in the USA.

Brackets for the first group are up. Berge and Brooks are both on the bye side of the bracket. Berge has Russian Razambek Zhamalov first, who lasted a few rounds at the Yarygin. Brooks has the winner of Kazakhstan Latvia; didn't find much on either opponent.

DniaKR3U0AU7tY0.jpg

DniabboVAAAVS7i.jpg

Reactions: diggerpup
70 kg
Euro Jrs champ was a different RUS than who is entered, but you have to think Zhamalov is pretty good. Gadzhiev (AZE) was 2nd, and Andreasyan (ARM) and Lylyk (UKR) were 3rd.
Asian Jrs champ was Kavousi (IRI), runner-up was Kaliramana (IND), and Kaipanov (KAZ) and a different JPN wrestler than who is entered were 3rd

Just about everyone named is in the opposite bracket as Berge (except the RUS who Berge gets first round).

79 kg
Euro Champ was Sari (TUR), runner-up was Grosul (MDA), and Abasov (AZE) and Bataiev (UKR) were 3rd.
Asian Champ was Gholami (IRI), runner-up was a different IND wrestler than who is entered, and a different JPN wrestler than who is entered and UZB wrestler (UZB does not seem to have a team at Jr Worlds) were 3rd.

Brooks could see Euro 2nd (MDA) in QFs, Euro 3rd (AZE) in SFs, and Euro Champ (TUR)/Asia Champ (IRI)/RUS in Finals

Apparently the Russian made the semis at Russian senior nationals this year... so good chance Berge gets pulled back in

Reactions: nerfstate
Brooks has the Junior Euro silver medalist next round. Watched that junior final match (against Turkey) and it was very competitive. This Moldova kid is very long, so it should make for an interesting matchup against Aaron’s low-level attacks.

There's no way that Moldovan kid stays at 79kg for long. Has the frame for 97. I swear I've seen that ankle pick of Aaron's once or twice before.... ;)

Track mentioned that Fix had outscored his opponents at Junior Worlds in the last two years by a 73-1 count. Wow!
Man, I hope he goes 125. I could be naive, but I don't see Gross or Micic keeping up the way Spencer could. Gonna be some fun times for fans regardless.

What a joke Abasov is. Tried to lock fingers for 6 minutes. Throw in a eye poke and a couple headbutts and he gets DQ’d. Brooks was up 5-1, but it was a snoozer of a match because of Abasov’s antics.

Reactions: diggerpup
ADVERTISEMENT