ADVERTISEMENT

June 12, 2017

nitlion6

Mar 26, 2012
I am waiting to read the announcement from the Penn State Athletic Department that Penn State Wrestling Coach, Cael Sanderson's contract has been extended?

Why are we 18 days out from the expiration of his current contract without an extension announcement?

Rutgers is making me wait. I thought in the B1G only OSU and UM had that power. Those dirty reddish nights.

I am waiting to read the announcement from the Penn State Athletic Department that Penn State Wrestling Coach, Cael Sanderson's contract has been extended?

Why are we 18 days out from the expiration of his current contract without an extension announcement?
Just a hunch, Cael might have had something else to do this past weekend besides contract negotiations.

Patience. It'll get done, and if it isn't done by 6/30, they'll work out an interim extension. He's not going anywhere.

nitlion - I think it's already done...Just has not been made public....

Reactions: nittanybrian
Just a hunch, Cael might have had something else to do this past weekend besides contract negotiations.

Patience. It'll get done, and if it isn't done by 6/30, they'll work out an interim extension. He's not going anywhere.
He was busy this past weekend, but to be in the middle of June without the extension minimally several months in the rear view mirror is somewhat ridiculous.

Iowa, in a trade. HR melts down now that they have 100%, iron clad evidence of T&T being a better staff than Cael&Co after this weekend.

Obligatory faces ...:rolleyes:;)
I am OK with TnT at Iowa and Cael at PSU. If the Hawkers got the better end of that deal I am OK with our part of the deal.

Just out of curosity. What are they using for a measuring stick? You would have to do some supper duper rationalization calisthenics to get to that particular conclusion.

Hawkernation needs to hope that in 5 years the national perception isn't that the Hawkers have the second best staff in Iowa.

He was busy this past weekend, but to be in the middle of June without the extension minimally several months in the rear view mirror is somewhat ridiculous.
Yes, if you're an impatient fan who needs to feel better. Not at all if you've ever negotiated a contract.

Put another way: if either side didn't want it, Cael would already be gone.

Yes, if you're an impatient fan who needs to feel better. Not at all if you've ever negotiated a contract.

Put another way: if either side didn't want it, Cael would already be gone.
I haven't negotiated a serious contract since mid 90's and I get the whole 'it takes time" to get it done.

However, most of the ones that took forever moving ever so cautiously until the final push was swoosh and they got done were the new partnership agreements. The longer-term relationships usually fell into place without much trepidation.

Reactions: jtothemfp
I'm guessing Cael has ask for some "big items" that probably take some thought. I'm not talking about his own salary, but rather commitments to future infrastructure or something along those lines. This would be a great time to ask.

Reactions: TexasLion1979
I'm guessing Cael has ask for some "big items" that probably take some thought. I'm not talking about his own salary, but rather commitments to future infrastructure or something along those lines. This would be a great time to ask.
If you listen to Caels comments after winning the national championship in March, he spends time praising Cody and Casey - well deserved praise. If there are issues with the new contract they could be tied with Caels efforts to take care of his assistant coaches. I don't believe the issues concern Caels salary and benefits, it's about taking care of his coaching family. I do agree that infrastructure could also be an issue given the new facilities master plan that was released. I share some concern that this contract extension hasn't been resolved this late in the process.

Last edited:
I haven't negotiated a serious contract since mid 90's and I get the whole 'it takes time" to get it done.

However, most of the ones that took forever moving ever so cautiously until the final push was swoosh and they got done were the new partnership agreements. The longer-term relationships usually fell into place without much trepidation.
That's not been my experience. Even close, friendly business relationships can become more complicated over time. If you then add substantial change to the mix, it can take considerable time to sort out how the changes will work within the framework of the past relationship. If there was a problem, we'd sense panic or angst on the part of one or both parties, and we don't have that here.

If you listen to Caels comments after winning the national championship in March, he spends time praising Cody and Casey - well deserved praise. If there are issues with the new contract they could be tied with Caels efforts to take care of his assistant coaches. I don't believe the issues concern Caels salary and benefits, it's about taking care of his coaching family. I do agree that infrastructure could also be an issue given the new facilities master plan that was released. I share some concern that this contract extension hasn't been resolved this late in the process.

Do you a link with further information regarding a new facilities master plan? I did not see anything, and am curious...

I wish it were signed sealed and delivered by now but if I were to put odds I'd say 95% he signs extension.

IF on the 5% chance it didn't happen. What job do you think Cael would be eying up?

In other words, what school do you think Cael would go to if not PSU?

Can't see Iowa, Iowa State, Ohio State or OSU.

Does any Utah schools have D1?

I hope he's here for life but things can change for variety of reasons and trying to figure out where would be his next stop if he ended up leaving

. . . I hope he's here for life but things can change for variety of reasons and trying to figure out where would be his next stop if he ended up leaving

Higher priorities on my to-do list today (because each circumstance has a higher probability of happening than his contract not getting done):

- Open new bank account to accommodate my Powerball winnings

- Gather some decorations for the nice executive office I'll be given after a promotion at my job

- Donate my megaphone and tranquilizer darts to Goodwill because my kids are about to start listening to me

- Cancel my health insurance, as I'm getting younger and my lower back stronger

- Buy some cages for all the monkeys that might fly out of my butt

Once I have all that done, I might spend some time thinking about where Cael will go after failed contract negotiations with PSU. ;)

There was a ton of meaning in Roar's post. However, I would still like to read the announcement. I have been more than half tempted to call the athletic department and ask when they were going to announce so I could attend.

There was a ton of meaning in Roar's post. However, I would still like to read the announcement. I have been more than half tempted to call the athletic department and ask when they were going to announce so I could attend.

Please call and report back. 814-865-1086

If they dont like your tone and ask your name just say spyker and hang up.

That's not been my experience. Even close, friendly business relationships can become more complicated over time. If you then add substantial change to the mix, it can take considerable time to sort out how the changes will work within the framework of the past relationship. If there was a problem, we'd sense panic or angst on the part of one or both parties, and we don't have that here.

Thanks for your general input on contractual difficulties that could be encountered. Insert fart noise.

Thanks for your general input on contractual difficulties that could be encountered. Insert fart noise.

Well, that was less than polite, not to mention it added nothing to the discussion. Of course, IMHO the discussion is pretty silly. When a deal is done or not done it will be announced. Personally, I am not in the least bit worried as I'm as close to 100% sure that a deal will be done as I can be.

Reactions: hlstone
Any word?? Coming down to the wire
Maybe his extension was tied to obtaining six national champs in one year. No six. No dice. Maybe we can tie the Suriano thing into this. Maybe Cael is kicking him off the team in retribution for hurting his chance for a lucrative extension.

If you post it on the internet, it's true.

I like to imagine Cael is asking for more to be done about building an NLWC Greco presence to fully takeover wrestling as we know it before he signs.

The real story is that Cael, not Suriano, is transferring to Rutgers.
Oh, Manatree, slush beat you by this much.
raw

I'm not sure of Penn State's current practice, but when Cael signed an extension in 2012, it was announced:

http://www.gopsusports.com/sports/m-wrestl/spec-rel/082212aac.html
Ask that question. Was told current policy is to not announce extensions. When I ask if he could simply acknowledge the extension I was told that is between HR (not Hawk Report) and the coach.

The guy I talked to was nice enough to call me back. I was not interested in arguing facts of past practice. I just took it to mean I can not tell you.

Reactions: Creek Side
Ask that question. Was told current policy is to not announce extensions. When I ask if he could simply acknowledge the extension I was told that is between HR (not Hawk Report) and the coach.

The guy I talked to was nice enough to call me back. I was not interested in arguing facts of past practice. I just took it to mean I can not tell you.
Not arguing with what you were told, but didn't the university announce Gadowski's (mens hockey coach) extension?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT