ADVERTISEMENT

Juice Scruggs

Strange that there's nothing out there about an accident with ejection that could be it.

Reactions: BBrown
Yeah... I think IF TRUE in regards to the seriousness of the accident with his family asking for privacy, kept the players off social media and letting news leak out.

That doesn't mean there wouldn't be news reports. Unless it only happened yesterday

Reactions: BBrown
True... but I also know people have requested to police officers to keep accidents out of the news cycle and the police honored the request.

But that doesn't stop news people and tipsters from following police scanner activity.

I guess in this case, if it's a really serious injury, it's best for PSU to say nothing and just support him and his family.

You were right.
"what is... the least commonly stated phrase on BWI?"

images

Some follow up info, I heard Scruggs was up and walking so I'm doubting the "broken back" part of the story that was passed onto me originally. I actually was told he was on the phone with a PSU Coach when the accident occurred. Supposedly he was on his way home after visiting his Girlfriend, hit some black ice and lost control of the vehicle.

Breaking a bone in your back is not always a big deal. You can break a vertebra, for example, and it isn't a big deal. It just hurts. As long as it's stable and there aren't any neurologic symptoms, he'll heal up soon enough.

He isn't going to lift heavy weights for a while, though, and obviously no contact for the time being.

Reactions: TheGLOV
Breaking a bone in your back is not always a big deal. You can break a vertebra, for example, and it isn't a big deal. It just hurts. As long as it's stable and there aren't any neurologic symptoms, he'll heal up soon enough.

He isn't going to lift heavy weights for a while, though, and obviously no contact for the time being.
Breaking a vertebra is a big deal as the vertebra are what the spinal cord passes through. Even a minor break must be carefully treated.

But the term 'broken back' is also used for a broken vertebral processes which are the things that stick out from the vertebral body and are attachment points for muscles and ribs. Breaking one of these is relatively mild as it does not threaten the spinal cord but can be painful.
c20763ed9de16f0ac2ca567a823932e7.png

Breaking a vertebra is a big deal as the vertebra are what the spinal cord passes through. Even a minor break must be carefully treated.

But the term 'broken back' is also used for a broken vertebral processes which are the things that stick out from the vertebral body and are attachment points for muscles and ribs. Breaking one of these is relatively mild as it does not threaten the spinal cord but can be painful.

I love this sight. So much knowledgeable information on so many subjects.

Very possible to suffer a vertebrae fracture and not be aware......recently had x rays done and I was told of an "old" fracture with bone spurs?????? The only collisions I have ever suffered were on the FB field and that ended almost 50 years ago.

Very possible to suffer a vertebrae fracture and not be aware......recently had x rays done and I was told of an "old" fracture with bone spurs?????? The only collisions I have ever suffered were on the FB field and that ended almost 50 years ago.

I just found out in December that I had a broken vertebrae that I was never aware of. Neither I nor my parents ever recall me having any type of serious back injury that I was aware of.

Reactions: marshall23
My 82 year old partner was in a car accident and fractured vertebrae. Was back to work in a week.

To reiterate, breaking a vertebra is NOT necessarily a big deal. Just because it's close to the cord doesn't mean anything. If the cord IS disrupted, or impinged upon, well yeah, of course it's a big deal. But in his case clearly this hasn't happened. It's obviously just a nondisplaced fracture that hurts like hell, but if he needed surgery he'd have had it by now.

ADVERTISEMENT