ADVERTISEMENT

Journey Brown and other red shirts

Marylovesthelions

Gold Member
Sep 29, 2008
Mt Dora FL
Does anyone have information on his well he is progressing? It is hard to get input on the stars of the red shirted players. Journey's elite speed is promising.

Reactions: TheGLOV
Journey supposedly has shown some flashes and has drawn a comment or two from CJF.

I heard one of the players, Haley ?, discussing Journey at a press event prior to the bowl and had some very positive things to say about him. Said that Journey was not just a speed guy.

I could see them using him for some return duty and maybe some gadget type plays or sweeps (like they have done with Polk) due to his speed alone next year.

He'll be given his shot to show what he can do. He's an elite athlete who did very well at several sports. A trait Joe Paterno and many other coaches thought very highly of. When he gets his chance I'm betting he'll do very well.

BTW, I saw a video of Curtis Cothran on Pennlive discussing Journey Brown not long ago. He spoke VERY HIGHLY of Journey and what he saw of him on the scout team. He thinks he's going to be a terrific RB at Penn State.

Reactions: Option Bob
He'll be given his shot to show what he can do. He's an elite athlete who did very well at several sports. A trait Joe Paterno and many other coaches thought very highly of. When he gets his chance I'm betting he'll do very well.

BTW, I saw a video of Curtis Cothran on Pennlive discussing Journey Brown not long ago. He spoke VERY HIGHLY of Journey and what he saw of him on the scout team. He thinks he's going to be a terrific RB at Penn State.
That was the guy ( Cothran ). Haley was in the same interview group and I couldn’t remember which one was talking about Journey.

Damn. I had no idea he had a drug problem.
200.gif

Saw an interview with Marcus Allen where he was talking about Jonathan Sutherland, Marcus said he calls him "choo choo" because he hits like a train. High praise considering the source!

Reactions: broey1
Article today on Pennlive that discusses a number of young players and depth chart battles....

http://www.pennlive.com/pennstatefo...e_in_2018_eighteen_qu.html#incart_river_index

Is Journey Brown ready for a significant role?

penn-state-practice-oct-11-2017-e659340173b452da.jpg

Penn State running back Journey Brown runs during practice in Holuba Hall on Oct. 11, 2017.Joe Hermitt | jhermitt@pennlive.com

With Saquon Barkley headed to the NFL, Miles Sanders is the projected starter at tailback for Penn State. Sanders, though, can’t play every snap and the Lions have a speedy Pennsylvania prep star coming off his redshirt season: Journey Brown. The 5-11, 200-pounder from Meadville was a multi-sport star and he is one of the fastest players on the Penn State roster.

penn-state-practice-nov-8-2017-0ef96fc1d4127a46.jpg

Penn State linebacker Koa Farmer and cornerback Grant Haley chase running back Journey Brown during practice on Nov. 8, 2017.Joe Hermitt | jhermitt@pennlive.com

Brown’s accomplishments at Meadville are legendary. He ran for more than 7,000 yards in high school and totaled 106 touchdowns. As a track man, Brown ran a 6.87 60 meters and was clocked at 10.43 in the 100 meters, a new Pennsylvania record. Will Brown be able to help Penn State at tailback or as a return man in 2018?

Last edited:
Reactions: gslachta
Not trying to be a dick, but if Journey gets 100 carries in his career at PSU I will be shocked. Just too much talent around.

One of the points that Curtis Cothran made about Journey in his interview was that Brown's running skills on the scout team were every bit as good (if not better) than the opposing team's top TB for the coming week. Because of that Cothran said the defense was well prepared all season for the running backs they were going to face.

One of the points that Curtis Cothran made about Journey in his interview was that Brown's running skills on the scout team were every bit as good (if not better) than the opposing team's top TB for the coming week. Because of that Cothran said the defense was well prepared all season for the running backs they were going to face.

You cannot get better praise than that.....

Reactions: #1 Nittany in VA
I still don't understand the lack of offers for Journey Brown. Measurables seem off the chart. I certainly understand the red shirt year being required. However, I thought it would be fun to see him get some time this year in the slot to run the jet sweep counter to Barkley. With all the attention that flows with Barkley, the jet sweep with JB could have been deadly.

Not trying to be a dick, but if Journey gets 100 carries in his career at PSU I will be shocked. Just too much talent around.
Why do you say that? With Andre Robinson transferring there isn’t that much “talent” left other than Miles Sanders as a true tailback. And if he has a good year next year, I wouldn’t be surprised if he leaves. I don’t think Slade will be an every down back but will be very effective as a multi-purpose back.

I still don't understand the lack of offers for Journey Brown. Measurables seem off the chart. I certainly understand the red shirt year being required. However, I thought it would be fun to see him get some time this year in the slot to run the jet sweep counter to Barkley. With all the attention that flows with Barkley, the jet sweep with JB could have been deadly.

Played in a very bad district, talent-wise, in the middle of nowhere, and as such nobody ever saw him play much. Was invited to no Rivals events, etc. Had some grade issues that he needed to straighten out.

Reactions: JoeFi
Bottom line. None of us know how these kids will perform when given the opportunity. Big difference between scout team or blue/white game vs real game situation. I do believe there will be intense competition at many positions this spring and summer. Can't wait till Sept 1, 2018!

Reactions: Howie'81
We will get a look at #32 this spring, hopefully.
Looking at next year, we will have a rotation at TB. Sanders is the closest player we will have to an every down back. So I expect Sanders to get around 60% of the snaps, with Brown, Slade, Allen ?, and Thomas ? getting the remainder.
Everybody is going to suffer from comparison to Saquon.

Reactions: m48tank
Played in a very bad district, talent-wise, in the middle of nowhere, and as such nobody ever saw him play much. Was invited to no Rivals events, etc. Had some grade issues that he needed to straighten out.

That all makes sense of course. However, after that 722 yds/10 touchdown game his Jr. year, I think even Sports Illustrated recognized that. It still makes no sense. Not even a Pitt offer? This kid is getting bigger and faster every time I read about him. I remember as a sophomore he was running 11.0 flats and at states he last ran 10.43 in the rain. Seems like almost any school would risk a flyer on a 200 pound kid with that speed. I'm glad Franklin did.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT