ADVERTISEMENT

Jonathan Kaloust Bearcat Open (11/12)

Wonder if Zain is practically a coach for some of these new kids. Roar or anyone who knows. Is Zain taking an active role in the development of these guys besides just being a practice partner?
Coach is not what I'd call Zain, more an incredibly respected team-mate. Does EVERYTHING right, so the underclassmen really look up to him, along with the other really successful wrestlers.

Still working for a living, so don't make it to practices, but I do have regular conversations with folks that are in the room. Anyone that wants to get better, searches out Zain, and as I said, others, to get better themselves.

At the same time, Zain wants to get better too, and searches out those wrestlers that will help him.

Lee 14-3 after 2.

Verk mat 5, up 2-0 after 45 sec.

Also Yianni vs. Jake Lizak on mat 2.

Reactions: diggerpup
Good match for Verk. Seems to have bought into the attacking philosophy. Not sure why his TD towards the end was counted as a slam/potentially dangerous. Had the guy on one leg and he tried to trip the other. The other guy tried to jump the trip but tripped and landed on his back hard. The hard fall was more-so due to him tripping on the hop rather than Verk trying to slam him

Good match for Verk. Seems to have bought into the attacking philosophy. Not sure why his TD towards the end was counted as a slam/potentially dangerous. Had the guy on one leg and he tried to trip the other. The other guy tried to jump the trip but tripped and landed on his back hard. The hard fall was more-so due to him tripping on the hop rather than Verk trying to slam him
Could be because some wrestling officials are not very good @ officiating.

Last edited:
Not sure why his TD towards the end was counted as a slam/potentially dangerous. Had the guy on one leg and he tried to trip the other. The other guy tried to jump the trip but tripped and landed on his back hard. The hard fall was more-so due to him tripping on the hop rather than Verk trying to slam him

I didn't see the move, but in general the onus is on the offensive wrestler when they have someone partially or fully off the mat (he had him one leg), that they are responsible for bringing the wrestler safely to the mat.

Reactions: slushhead
Beautifully-put.
Once had a very physical 215 heavyweight (b4 220 class) hit a blast double on a 250 pound not very physical heavyweight. Never lifted him off the mat, but did chop from behind both knees as he stepped right through the move. Picture perfect move. Slam.
After the match I ask him (ref) what was he thinking? His answer was "it sounded like they hit the mat hard". I pointed out my guy never lifted him off the mat. He just stepped through the move like you are suppose to. Obviously no one was injured. The other kid jumped up at the whistle and ran back to the circle and into ref position. The ref had to explain to him what was called and he needed checked. I have seen many weak calls. For some reason this one generally jumps to the top.

All I ever got was sounded hard when then hit the mat.

Once had a very physical 215 heavyweight (b4 220 class) hit a blast double on a 250 pound not very physical heavyweight. Never lifted him off the mat, but did chop from behind both knees as he stepped right through the move. Picture perfect move. Slam.
After the match I ask him (ref) what was he thinking? His answer was "it sounded like they hit the mat hard". I pointed out my guy never lifted him off the mat. He just stepped through the move like you are suppose to. Obviously no one was injured. The other kid jumped up at the whistle and ran back to the circle and into ref position. The ref had to explain to him what was called and he needed checked. I have seen many weak calls. For some reason this one generally jumps to the top.

All I ever got was sounded hard when then hit the mat.
Because heavies generally sound like feathers hitting pillows. SMH.

Reactions: nitlion6
197 is such an interesting weight at PSU for me as it has three guys I feel pretty strongly about deserving something great to happen.
1. Cutch- So close last year to AA and had to move up and give up size due to Bo being Bo.
2.Raptor- Injuries have cheated the poor kid out of so much and he is an obvious talent with enough passion for the sport to fight his way back twice.
3.Shak- Just another talented guy who seems to never give up and has had extreme talent,injury, or a tough weight cut in his path most of the time.
I'm not sure who I'm pulling for at this point because all seem so deserving. True example of first world problems.

ADVERTISEMENT