ADVERTISEMENT

John Surma was going to tell Joe Paterno THREE things. What were the other two???

Detective_MackDaddy

Nov 21, 2011
The board sent a courier over to Paterno's house, and asked him to call the cell phone of Steve Garban, chairman of the PSU board.

When Paterno called, Garban handed the phone to Surma.

Surma was ready to tell Paterno three things. But he only got to his first item.

"Surma was only able to tell Paterno that he was no longer football coach before Paterno hung up," Snedden wrote.

The board sent a courier over to Paterno's house, and asked him to call the cell phone of Steve Garban, chairman of the PSU board.

Surma was ready to tell Paterno three things. But he only got to his first item.

"Surma was only able to tell Paterno that he was no longer football coach before Paterno hung up," Snedden wrote.
1. "This wasn't my decision, it's was the Board's"
2. "I hope we can remain friends"

Both were obvious lies.

2. You should've retired in 2004 when Spanier & Curley knocked on your front door.

3. My brother says "Hi."

Last edited:
Reactions: dshumbero
When can we have John Surma appreciation day? He can flip the coin and see if he can get back to the sideline.

2. How many times did you catch Jockstrap and Vic in the shower together?

3. You should have hushed it up.

How timely; reminds me of Judas.

2. "Boo"
3. "Don't cry"

The "3 things" story was a component of the board's concerted attempt at walking back Joe's public termination. Unfortunately for them the documentation is clear.
espn_otl_cynthiabaldwinletter.bmp

Hard to believe they sent Joe that letter .....
The handling of Joe's dismissal is (IMHO) the most unforgivable of the board's many blunders. It was completely avoidable.

If you want an irrefutable argument as to why we should remove the B&I faction of trustees, I'll summarize it for you: where was their invaluable business savvy in November of 2011? This failure belongs to them.

The handling of Joe's dismissal is (IMHO) the most unforgivable of the board's many blunders. It was completely avoidable.

If you want an irrefutable argument as to why we should remove the B&I faction of trustees, I'll summarize it for you: where was their invaluable business savvy in November of 2011? This failure belongs to them.

Once you realize how ham-fisted they were with handling JVP, it is not hard to believe they completely botched McQ's exit process just months later, especially with Joyner calling any of the shots.

Cynthia and Fart Baldwin are two of the lowest forms of life that received a free Penn State "education".

Most likely the 2 requests made in the certified letter sent to Paterno on 11/16/11. To remove all his personal belongings from his university office and to return all university property including ID badge, parking permit, keys etc.

Why was Surma the one to officially tell Parerno if Garban was Chairman ?

Did Garban not want to tell Joe ?Did Surma ask to tel Joe ? Who' s responsibility at the time was it to indeed inform Joe?

Because... and I don't know which is why I'm asking... If it was not Surma's responsibility... Then his wanting to tell Joe is beyond sinister... It's cowardly...

I would also add... And I LOVE Joe... Imagine if he had retired 5 years earlier as he probably should have...

I didn’t realize John Surma’s brother died. Found his name “in memoriam “ in the Penn Stater
Obituary
Age 70, peacefully at home, on Sunday, September 6, 2020. Devoted son of the late John and Virginia Surma, beloved husband for 45 years of Kathy (Keim) Surma; proud father of Katie (Jim Crowell) and the late Victor B. Surma; cherished brother of John (Elizabeth) Surma; also survived by many loving nieces and nephews. Vic was a star athlete at Mt. Lebanon High School and Penn State University. Dr. Surma earned his D.M.D. from the University of Pittsburgh and practiced dentistry in Mt. Lebanon for 37 years with his wife, Kathy. Doc was beloved by patients for his kind demeanor and he regularly provided dental services pro bono to those in need. Vic was a master fly fisherman and outdoors-man. His family and many friends know he had extraordinary gifts: intelligence, wit, and a glowing presence. Vic loved creating memories with his family through vacations, holiday dinners and time spent in the outdoors. His greatest joy and source of pride were his children, Victor and Katie. Friends will be welcomed at Laughlin Cremation & Funeral Tributes, 222 Washington Road, Mount Lebanon on Friday morning from 10 until 11:30 followed by Mass of Christian Burial in St. John Capistran Church at 12 noon while adhering to COVID-19 precautions. Interment in Mt. Lebanon Cemetery. If desired memorials may be made to: shatterproof.org.

I didn’t realize John Surma’s brother died. Found his name “in memoriam “ in the Penn Stater
Obituary
Age 70, peacefully at home, on Sunday, September 6, 2020. Devoted son of the late John and Virginia Surma, beloved husband for 45 years of Kathy (Keim) Surma; proud father of Katie (Jim Crowell) and the late Victor B. Surma; cherished brother of John (Elizabeth) Surma; also survived by many loving nieces and nephews. Vic was a star athlete at Mt. Lebanon High School and Penn State University. Dr. Surma earned his D.M.D. from the University of Pittsburgh and practiced dentistry in Mt. Lebanon for 37 years with his wife, Kathy. Doc was beloved by patients for his kind demeanor and he regularly provided dental services pro bono to those in need. Vic was a master fly fisherman and outdoors-man. His family and many friends know he had extraordinary gifts: intelligence, wit, and a glowing presence. Vic loved creating memories with his family through vacations, holiday dinners and time spent in the outdoors. His greatest joy and source of pride were his children, Victor and Katie. Friends will be welcomed at Laughlin Cremation & Funeral Tributes, 222 Washington Road, Mount Lebanon on Friday morning from 10 until 11:30 followed by Mass of Christian Burial in St. John Capistran Church at 12 noon while adhering to COVID-19 precautions. Interment in Mt. Lebanon Cemetery. If desired memorials may be made to: shatterproof.org.

Vic Sr threw a lot of venom in Joe's direction, probably more so than his brother John.

I’m wearing my butt plug today.
Never realized the expression is actually true. Found a bear’s butt plug in our yard on Monday.

Bears’ Mysterious ‘Fecal Plug’
The fecal plug has long been one of the mysteries of bear hibernation. Early observers described it as a dense plug of unidentified material, fibrous plant material, and bear hair. They speculated that bears prepare for hibernation by eating indigestible plant material to purge their digestive tracts and form a rectal plug that prevents further eating. This erroneous speculation is still repeated in popular literature today.

Bear fecal plug (picture) ✕

Researchers at the Wildlife Research Institute in Ely, Minnesota found that the “unidentified” main mass of the plug is intestinal secretions and cells that continue to slough off the inside of the digestive tract during hibernation. This is not a mysterious process. Starving humans also continue to make small amounts of feces when they have no food intake. During 5-7 months in dens, bears accumulate feces in the lower 7-15 inches of the intestine to form a “plug” 1½ to 2½ inches in diameter. The fecal plug is simply feces that have remained in the intestine so long that the intestinal walls have absorbed the fluids out of it, leaving it dry and hard.

Remote cameras in dens revealed how hair and plant material become part of the plugs. The cameras revealed bears grooming more than was previously thought. In the process, they licked hairs and bits of bedding (leaves, grass, bark, etc.) from their fur and these indigestible items pass through the intestine essentially unchanged.

Where bears remain in dens for 5-7 months, pieces of footpads are also found in fecal plugs. In mid winter, the bears begin to shed the calloused soles of their feet, much as people shed calluses. Bears lick their tender feet and ingest pieces of the pads.

Although black bears are said to hibernate without eating, drinking, urinating, or defecating, most bears in northern regions remain in dens so long that they develop extra large fecal plugs. By the sixth or seventh month in the den, most of these bears defecate—Fecal plugs have a light odor that is not unpleasant.

• Wow
Reactions: PearlSUJam
Never realized the expression is actually true. Found a bear’s butt plug in our yard on Monday.

Bears’ Mysterious ‘Fecal Plug’
The fecal plug has long been one of the mysteries of bear hibernation. Early observers described it as a dense plug of unidentified material, fibrous plant material, and bear hair. They speculated that bears prepare for hibernation by eating indigestible plant material to purge their digestive tracts and form a rectal plug that prevents further eating. This erroneous speculation is still repeated in popular literature today.

Bear fecal plug (picture)

Researchers at the Wildlife Research Institute in Ely, Minnesota found that the “unidentified” main mass of the plug is intestinal secretions and cells that continue to slough off the inside of the digestive tract during hibernation. This is not a mysterious process. Starving humans also continue to make small amounts of feces when they have no food intake. During 5-7 months in dens, bears accumulate feces in the lower 7-15 inches of the intestine to form a “plug” 1½ to 2½ inches in diameter. The fecal plug is simply feces that have remained in the intestine so long that the intestinal walls have absorbed the fluids out of it, leaving it dry and hard.

Remote cameras in dens revealed how hair and plant material become part of the plugs. The cameras revealed bears grooming more than was previously thought. In the process, they licked hairs and bits of bedding (leaves, grass, bark, etc.) from their fur and these indigestible items pass through the intestine essentially unchanged.

Where bears remain in dens for 5-7 months, pieces of footpads are also found in fecal plugs. In mid winter, the bears begin to shed the calloused soles of their feet, much as people shed calluses. Bears lick their tender feet and ingest pieces of the pads.

Although black bears are said to hibernate without eating, drinking, urinating, or defecating, most bears in northern regions remain in dens so long that they develop extra large fecal plugs. By the sixth or seventh month in the den, most of these bears defecate—Fecal plugs have a light odor that is not unpleasant.

Don't believe that's what people are generally referring to when using the phrase.

IIRC; He was still employed by the University and he would be keeping his pension.

By keeping him officially employed, they could control him holding press conferences like the one they cancelled.
I would tend to agree....but there was a letter from Cynthia Baldwin that directed him to turn in his keys, his fax machine etc.

ADVERTISEMENT